ADVERTISEMENT

Alterique Gilbert Out For The Season

dbaum_

Feb 17, 2014
Bleacher Report just reported that Alterique Gilbert will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum and miss the remainder of the season. Another big blow to this team and nothing seems to be going right this year. We wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can get back on the court 100% healthy in the near future.

I was expecting this and it's really unfortunate. Basically UConn has lost its two best players in consecutive early season games. I don't ever remember this happening before. I do recall back in 2001 when the UConn girls lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosomova to season ending injuries very late in the year and it cost UConn the national championship although they made the Final 4 without those 2 players. Ralph had a season ending injury another year that also cost the UConn girls a possible championship. They could have 13 right now with better luck.

Getting back to Gilbert, I assume he and Larrier both get redshirts and another year at UConn so that's good news that we still will get to see these guys. I just hope they can both come back 100% and the same players as they were. With Gilbert I have some concern about that shoulder holding up but not so much concern about him being the same guy. Larrier having suffered a bad knee injury and being explosively athletic before the injury, I hope he still has that explosiveness.

Wow 3 season ending injuries inside the first 6 games of the season...........I do not recall this ever happening before. The worst injury of the last 10 years was when Dyson went down in 2009 but that was one guy and that team still made the Final 4. To lose 3 guys who would have been contributors is tough to take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT