ADVERTISEMENT

AL

Cole made close to 39% of his 3s in 2018-19. The real eye popping Cole stat is the 6.4 assists. Guys who can put up over 21 points with over 6 assists are a rare species at point guard. However it's the first time I have felt very good about the 3 point shooting of the guard corps as a whole in a very very long time. And then you add Polley who we know will can 40% just stepping out of bed, and I feel even better. Hurley has quietly and effectively put together a good roster although I feel like we will not see Akok next year and therefore a big man (Sanogo?) needs to be added.

Sid Wilson might have to be given his walking papers. It just hasn't worked out with him and he needs to play at a mid major I think. Murray State or Buffalo or Hofstra could be good schools for him. This is UConn and guys are not kept on scholarship as charity. Calhoun established this tradition a long time ago and the tradition needs to be honored.

Last edited:
Here's another one still on Uconn's list, who's in the same size range...another 6-5 to 6-7 guard/wing. So it seems like that is where Hurley wants to go position wise with Al's open scholly if he takes a transfer.... though Nolley still has a big list.

He's another kid like Martin who'd be an underclass (will be a Soph) so he probably needs a sit out year unless rules change.....But I don't know if his view of himself would be a good fit, since he's a high volume -low % shooter...: “I’m going to be a starter and play major minutes and that I’m the one piece or a piece that they feel they NEED to make a deep tournament run and they just wanna help develop me and get me to the next level as soon as possible,” Nolley II said.
Landers Nolley - Va Tech- College Stats

Last edited:
With AG gone and if Sid goes ........Sanogo (powerful big ready for the rotation) and Martin ( sit 1 to play 2 ??? ) would be my wish list:
Well it's now official.... Al and Sid gives Uconn 2 open scholarships. Sid mentions DH told him they are looking at another forward (who would have probably passed him)... So I guess it could be a bigman and they are pushing for one of the 3 we mentioned in this thread for the 2 spots:

“They told me they were looking to recruit another forward, with Tyler (Polley) and Akok (Akok) being injured,” he said. “I understood that. Basketball’s a business, so I had to make a decision for myself.”...... "Landers Nolley, a 6-7 forward from Virginia Tech; Dimenicio Vauhn, 6-5 swingman from Rider; and Tyrese Martin, a 6-6 guard from Rhode Island, are among the players the Huskies have strong interest in. "

Last edited:
From what I saw the playing time he got was the playing time he deserved. Didn't he manage to pick up 4 fouls in 4 minutes played in his last game? It's the old fashioned run the guy off the team who is not earning his scholarship, Calhoun-style. I agree with it. This is UConn and scholarships are not given as charity, they are to be earned on the court.

Yes, they will look for one big man and one of the 3 guys you mentioned....Nolley, Vaughn or Martin.

From what I saw the playing time he got was the playing time he deserved. Didn't he manage to pick up 4 fouls in 4 minutes played in his last game? .
I think that's the case too. Hurley wants 2 things that KO never demanded( or wasn't good @ getting out of his players)... you have to play hard and you have to play smart. AL played hard and Sid had his moments, but both of their games were full of low IQ moments and reckless drives, which kills any chance of winning tight games.....I wish them both the best and hope they figure out what it takes to be plus-plus players for this level of college ball.

Last edited:
Landers Nolley, a 6-7/225 forward from Virginia Tech Stats -(RS Soph)
Tyrese Martin, a 6-6/205
guard from Rhode Island Stats (JR)

Last edited:
Nolley's stats looks like those of a very inefficient shooter......37% FGs????? Vaughn is the best 3 point shooter and I believe Martin might be the best defender. I prefer Vaughn or Martin.

Another key is Vaughn is the only one who's guaranteed to play immediately without a waiver/rule change on transfers. With Akok out it's an issue...
and obviously Nolley's numbers came vs. way better comp in the ACC, but will he share the rock ?? or does he freeze his team out with bad forces (he took 14.4 shots a game) ???

Last edited:
What's needed is a 3 and D guy......I realize none of these guys will 3 and D like Niels Giffey (who has?) but I am thinking Vaughn, with the body he has, and the 3 stats, is the best candidate.

Now that Uconn is out on Vaughn it looks like Martin or Nolley will have to sit wherever though go according this 247 story:
Report: No immediate eligibility change for transfers in 2020-21

Which means Uconn will be down to 10 (or 11... right now it's at 9 or 10) players again to start the season if they bring in one of the other 2 above, without a waiver. Even with the extra scholly they gained this year ( from the KO sanction)... So with Akok out....Will Polley be a sure thing at least at the start ? Then I guess JBF will have to play ( he moved up a year in class so is he ready? ... if not they probably can't afford a red shirt ) ...Looks like a ready to play big (Sonogo?) is needed and a wing ( they can risk a waiver on) is of great need for the roster:
Uconn-hoops-2020-21-b.jpg

Last edited:
I figure Polley will be ready but not Akok but with Polley, they have only got 10 playable bodies and they need to get to 12. 1 big, 1 wing- nobody is getting redshirted.

If Ole Miss got Vaughn it seems down to 4 schools on Martin- UConn, Oregon, Seton Hall and Georgia. Georgia has the wily Tom Crean as coach- the master of the "blow by handshake" with opposing coaches, and Crean's big guard Anthony Edwards could be the top pick in the draft, although if you look carefully at his stats, I wouldn't touch him in the top 5.

This Martin kid is obviously desired by some major D-1 schools and I assume he has defensive skills to compliment his sharp board work, because nobody is recruiting him for his shooting. Hopefully Hurley gives UConn some edge.

If Ole Miss got Vaughn it seems down to 4 schools on Martin- UConn, Oregon, Seton Hall and Georgia. Georgia has the wily Tom Crean as coach- the master of the "blow by handshake" with opposing coaches, and Crean's big guard Anthony Edwards could be the top pick in the draft, although if you look carefully at his stats, I wouldn't touch him in the top 5.

This Martin kid is obviously desired by some major D-1 schools and I assume he has defensive skills to compliment his sharp board work, because nobody is recruiting him for his shooting. Hopefully Hurley gives UConn some edge.
Tyrese Martin 247 -profile

FWIW.....it's crystal ball time with 2 picks in for the:

Last edited:
I do not understand what these rankings are based on. If you look at Nolley's stats beyond his PPG and the school he played for, they suck.

Does anyone remember Lasan Kromah on the 2013-14 title team? I think that is who the comp is on Martin. Kromah was a grad transfer:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/lasan-kromah-2.html

Martin has to sit a year though?
Martin looks like he is a better player than Kromah playing in the same league. Kromah was a good athlete and defender and a big piece when KO finally figured out he needed to bench Omar. Shooting wise LK shot only 22% (to 32% on 3's for TM) at GW the year before he came to Uconn and he wasn't the rebounder at 3.7 to 7.0 for Martin. But they both seem like good 6-6/200+ lb athletes and career wise their shooting #'s are similar even though Martin is only a soph....but I can see the comparison.

Looking at the scholly Martin would replace in the title, he has similiar numbers to Alterique on 3's and FT's.....the big difference seems to be shot selection for Martin, because he shot over 50% on 2's. He'd probably benefit from some DH to CV type coaching to cut down on the number of 3's (147) he's jacking up.

Last edited:
Or, he could improve his 3 point shooting. But it would be nice to have an experienced, athletic defender, which is what Kromah gave UConn. Kromah was a big factor in some games the year he was at UConn, especially earlier in the season. Although Niels Giffey was eventually the answer as the 3 and D guy in the starting lineup, Kromah was an important defensive piece off the bench, and I am hoping Martin could embrace the same kind of role and not worry about jacking up 3s when there are others to do so at more efficient percentages.

Well it's now official.... Al and Sid gives Uconn 2 open scholarships. Sid mentions DH told him they are looking at another forward (who would have probably passed him)... So I guess it could be a bigman and they are pushing for one of the 3 we mentioned in this thread for the 2 spots:

Looks like Sid found a home on a bad team in the Ohio Valley conference...I hope he gets plenty of PT and wish him the best at
SIU-Edwardsville who was 8-23 Overall | 5-13 Ohio Valley - 10th

Guess you haven't read the old news, Marshall has been leaking players like a sieve :

PS .....and some are even questioning the Wichita St. move to the AAC:
We covered Marshall in a bunch of posts in this thread and all the transfers......But sounds like moving out of the MVC and losing caused Marshall to lose his mind, unless it was always just hidden by winning. But from the sounds of things AL may not be playing for Marshall for his final year in CBB, I just wish AL the best in whatever plays out.

Last edited:
For all those guys to have transferred when they did, you knew something had happened that caused Marshall to lose the team. Winning can hide some issues, but when 6 or more guys transfer in one year, you know there has to be something rotting inside of the apple. The impression I get is that this guy was always a maniac, but his behavior was tolerated until it went out of control and 6 guys left in one year, which caused the press and the school to take notice despite a 23-8 record.

Last edited:
Marshall seemed like a great coach and always had tough teams since they gave Kemba and Co. a battle until the end, in game 1 when I was out in Maui in 2010. He hadn't lost double digits games or missed the NCAA's since the season after that.... until he did both ( 15 losses) 2 seasons ago, after joining the AAC. I guess things probably came to a head this year and Goodman from Stadium seemed to be all over this from his first tweets I posted above, months ago. So I'd assume Goodman (@Stadium) is not his favorite hoops reporter.

But Marshall's name had come out a bunch, for P-6 coaching vacancies. He probably should of gotten out when the going was good, depending how this plays out.

ps. (Alterique Gilbert ---Wich St. bio )

Last edited:
Marshall seemed like a great coach and always had tough teams since they gave Kemba and Co. a battle until the end, in game 1 when I was out in Maui in 2010.

I can vividly remember watching that game. Wichita State was in it to the very end of the game. I saw the game at a Sports Bar in New York City and dragged along a friend who isn't really a basketball fan. I told him at the 8 minute mark that UConn was going to give the ball to Kemba every time down the Court, Kemba will score or get fouled, make his FTs and UConn will win the game. And that's exactly what happened, although WSU hung tough all the way and UConn won by 2 points before advancing to the final and blowing out Kentucky in the final. The final game against Kentucky at Maui in 2010 was the best performance that I ever saw by a UConn team. I think UConn was up at one point by 30-35 points against a Kentucky team that went to the Final 4 before losing to UConn by 2. I remember writing to my uncle that I had stayed up late to watch the game and I saw UConn's best ever basketball game, which made it worth it.

We covered Marshall in a bunch of posts in this thread and all the transfers......But sounds like moving out of the MVC and losing caused Marshall to lose his mind, unless it was always just hidden by winning. But from the sounds of things AL may not be playing for Marshall for his final year in CBB, I just wish AL the best in whatever plays out.
Going on 4 different coaches for Alterique during his CBB career ?

“If Wichita State parts ways with Gregg Marshall soon as expected, Thad Matta will be at the top of the replacement list,” Davis wrote. “I am hearing the school would like him to start right away and coach this season if they can pull it off.”

Last edited:
Marshall really messed up. Before those transfers Wichita State had an excellent young team that was possibly poised to dominate the AAC this year. Now Matta has to come in and pick up the pieces. I wonder if Al will stay? They did need a point guard but not sure of his fit with Matta's system.

ADVERTISEMENT