ADVERTISEMENT

AL

12rtackerman12

Apr 30, 2008
So, with the season ending the way it did. Do you guys think AL will come back? Personally, if possible I'd rather him and Sid go and we add Sanogo and Etienne. How do you guys feel...…………..

I don’t think Gilbert or Wilson will be back on this team. In the case of Gilbert it’s objectively in his interest to move to a program that needs a starting point guard. In Wilson’s case he just hasn’t panned out or developed at all, mainly because of poor instincts and basketball IQ. When a guy is unplayable for more than 4 minutes a game at the end of his sophomore year, he has to be told that a change of scenery is in his best interest.

BTW, Etienne plays for Wichita State and has not been released from his scholarship as far as I know, plus if he is doesn’t he have to sit a year? He is a real good player and would love to have him:

https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/tyson-etienne/4219

Sanogo might be a replacement for Akok who will not be seen for a long time and may be he will not be the same player? I was thinking a big man to replace Akok with the Wilson scholly.

He didn’t say which Etienne he was talking about and thought he was hinting Travis was going to transfer which is something I would embrace...but “Mac” is someone who they need as UConn needs some bodies up front. Richie Springs and the 7 foot kid come in but I believe in as much depth of big men as possible because the young bigs all foul at high rates. We also don’t even know if Akok will play next year, it’s a brutal injury with a VERY long recovery time. A friend of mine partially ruptured his Achilles while sliding into second base in a baseball game and he was never the same after and it ended his baseball career. It’s a brutal injury and when I sent him the Akok video he said it traumatized him and he couldn’t watch......

By the way the NCAA suspended all recruiting until April 15 so nobody can be recruited to replace anyone who is leaving until then.

Sorry should have specified which Etienne but "Mac" was the one I was talking about. Sounds like if AL leaves we could be getting Fatts. And I think I'd rather have Fatts

Sorry should have specified which Etienne but "Mac" was the one I was talking about. Sounds like if AL leaves we could be getting Fatts. And I think I'd rather have Fatts

UConn has Cole, Bouknight, Gaffney and Adams at guard next year. They have all these guys for the next 2 years, unless Bouknight goes pro after next season. Where exactly does Fatts Russell fit in this rotation? He is starting guard. Not a backup piece.

Apart from that, this kid is a 36% career FG shooter and 29% 3FG shooter. His shooting stats suck monkey balls:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fatts-russell-1.html

His stats show he is an extremely inefficient offensive player. His assist and steals totals are impressive, though.

Last edited:
One other thing regarding Fatts Russell - Rhode Island

I know he was recruited and played for Hurley as a URI freshman, but he never redshirted and like Cole, he wouldn't be a grad transfer if he does leave URI ? So unless he gets a waiver or NCAA rules change, Daron Russell ( 2017 PG - Rivals.com) would have to sit out as a transfer next year. ( sit one/ play one)

Last edited:
He would have to sit a year but Cole has 2 years of eligibility and would still be blocking his path to a starting role. It's just too many good guys, I don't see it.

I think Gaffney, Cole and Bouknight will all be starting next year and 2 bigs will start. It’s also a smallish backcourt if you start 2 guys who are around 6’0” tall, creating defensive matchup problems. I know you guys obsess with offense but it’s a 2 phase sport. It’s very rare that teams win a national championship with tiny backcourts although UConn did in 2014. That was rare. Kentucky had bigger guards but they were freshmen and not ready for PT. That whole tournament run was unprecedented. You don’t usually win national championships with 2 6 foot guards. Against better teams the matchups get exposed and small guards are shot over. What is added in ball handling is lost in matchups. And you can bring up Rickey Moore and El Amin but Moore was the best defensive guard in UConn history, successfully defended Iverson and could cover anyone. And El Amin was the best ball handler in UConn history. When you have the best ball handler in school history and best defensive guard in school history good things are gonna happen. We do not have that here.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not into small ball unless you have a bunch of bigger guards( and good rebounding ones) like Uconn was playing with down the stretch this year. Even in 2014 with Bazz and Boat ....things didn't really start to work out until Giffey ( who measured out only an inch shorter than Daniels) replaced Omar (6-4) as a starter and they went 6-8, 6-9 and 6-10 across the front line.

But if Fats is even..... A) a transfer ( where did this come from ? )
......and B) an eligible one.....and Dan loves Fats...I'm sure we'll see more small ball ( YUK matching up vs. legit sized teams ! )

Last edited:
Gaffney will start and Fatts isn’t coming. Gaffney has a much better 3 point stroke than any of these guys. He is also a good defender with better size.

But if Fats is even..... A) a transfer ( where did this come from ? ) ......and B) an eligible one.....and Dan loves Fats...I'm sure we'll see more small ball ( YUK matching up vs. legit sized teams ! )

You don’t need to worry because Fatts isn’t coming and this extreme form of small ball isn’t happening and Big East opponents will not allow it to happen. UConn’s concession to small ball will be playing Cole. They don’t need any more defense challenged guards.

Reactions: the Blades
Gaffney will start and Fatts isn’t coming. Gaffney has a much better 3 point stroke than any of these guys.
Well considering this crazy transfer rumor was started and then put into overdrive by the Boneyard, I questioned this whole conversation on Russell as I posted above...plus I also read this tweet on the URI board:

It’s a rumor that makes no sense at all from the fit standpoint. There is no room for him, what’s needed is maybe a 5th guard who can defend the ball. That’s what will be missed with AG

It’s a rumor that makes no sense at all from the fit standpoint. There is no room for him, what’s needed is maybe a 5th guard who can defend the ball. That’s what will be missed with AG
I didn't think so...... but I'll repost a Hurley quote from the fall: “I play three guards, and I want them to all have interchangeable skills: be able to play in ball screens, on and off the ball, create and playmake, but also be able to score. So, when my system’s at its best, I have three guys that have the ability to do a multitude of things. In order for that to work, to play the elite teams, you’ve got to have high-level size. So, getting a guard that would have the ability to match up with a three, or the third perimeter guy for a high-level opponent, it usually has to be a 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 guy. So, that big guard’s critical. "

So, getting a guard that would have the ability to match up with a three, or the third perimeter guy for a high-level opponent, it usually has to be a 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 guy. So, that big guard’s critical. "

UConn has no such player on the current roster and Fatts Russell certainly doesn't represent a solution to the issue, but the big strong kid coming in from NY, AJ, could be a solution. Closest we have now is Adams and Wilson and Polley, but none of the 3 are a perfect fit. Adams can defend big guards, certainly more than Bouknight who can't cover anyone even his own size, but Adams' offensive game, though vastly improved, is still a work in progress. Wilson as we have seen is excessively foul prone and makes too many mistakes to be played more than 4 minutes a game, and Polley is really a forward who shoots 3s well but can't rebound and can't defend shooting guards. He defends the forward position OK.

AJ looks like he could be the 3rd guy Hurley speaks of, but that would mean Cole and Bouknight would be the other 2 guards and Gaffney and Adams would form the second team. But this would mean playing Polley as a stretch 4 which if you do that you gotta hope that the 3 and 5 can offset the lack of rebounding from the 4. On the other hand you present a strong scoring team and can possibly outscore the other team.

Last edited:
"He has entered the NCAA’s transfer portal and will look for a place to play as a grad student. He has one year of eligibility, and will be eligible to play immediately, but could possibly apply for a sixth year, having missed so much time in each of his first two seasons.....Gilbert’s departure gives UConn one scholarship to offer for next season, and Hurley is looking at the growing list of players who have transferred since the season ended."

"About half the Huskies have returned home, a few remaining on campus, such as Tyler Polley and Akok Akok, who are rehabbing major injuries. Tyler should be ready to go for the opener [next November],"

Last edited:
We will be adding one more for sure.....we are in on every top name transfer it seems with 6-6 2guard being the preference.

Marshall wanting to play AG 38 minutes a game makes no sense to me because he has one of the best returning starting backcourts in the AAC in Tyson Etienne and Erik Stevenson. Even if he wanted AG as a PG in a 3 guard offense it’s a stretch and would make his team incredibly smallish. Etienne and Stevenson are 6’1” and 6’2”” and how do you board playing 3 guys under 6’2”?

Marshall wanting to play AG 38 minutes a game makes no sense to me because he has one of the best returning starting backcourts in the AAC in Tyson Etienne and Erik Stevenson. Even if he wanted AG as a PG in a 3 guard offense it’s a stretch and would make his team incredibly smallish. Etienne and Stevenson are 6’1” and 6’2”” and how do you board playing 3 guys under 6’2”?
Guess you haven't read the old news, Marshall has been leaking players like a sieve :

PS .....and some are even questioning the Wichita St. move to the AAC:

Last edited:
That news is a surprise to me. Stevenson in particular as he made a huge leap from his freshman to sophomore seasons. Having that many transfers of rotation players in one season is something I never heard of before, especially from an established, winning coach and program.

Here is an article from the Wichita Eagle that confirms WSU's strong interest in Al as well as the other schools after him:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article241391931.html

ALTERIQUE GILBERT (CONNECTICUT GRADUATE TRANSFER)
Vitals: 6-foot-0, 180-pound point guard from Atlanta, Ga.

2019-20 season: Averaged 8.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.1 steals in 27.2 minutes per game with 20 starts for Connecticut, which finished 19-12 in the American. Shot 34.6% from the field, 31.8% on three-pointers and 67.1% on free throws.

Current recruiting: Interest from Texas Tech, Florida, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Arkansas, Georgia, Loyola Chicago, Georgia State, Towson, Tulane, East Carolina and George Washington, per 247 Sports.

Wichita State has shown interest in Alterique Gilbert (@Alterique_G), a 6'0" point guard grad transfer from UConn. Former 5-star recruit & McDonald's All-American who was hampered by injuries.

Can be electric playmaker off the bounce. Deft passing touch. Absolute dog on defense.

Outlook: Former five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American who never could overcome shoulder injuries while at UConn. The talent has always been there and Gilbert hopes a new environment will bring out the best in him for his final season. He can be an absolute electric playmaker, capable of breaking down defenders one-on-one or team defenses in the pick-and-roll game. He’s a point guard that needs the ball in his hands with the overwhelming majority of his shots coming off the dribble. That can lead to difficult shots, which explains his 34.6% shooting percentage, but Gilbert is a tough shot-maker. He’s a streaky shooter, but showed some consistency in conference play and drilled 36.5% of his threes in AAC games. But at just 6-foot, Gilbert struggles to finish inside and shot just 38.5% at the rim, per Synergy, this past season. Gilbert is a very skilled passer that routinely threads the needle, which led to a career-best 27.2% assist rate (sixth-best in AAC) and career-worst 23.0% turnover rate this past season. His quickness has translated to an above-average steal rate his entire career and Gilbert rated as an “Excellent” defender on Synergy this past season. Since UConn is leaving the American, Gilbert would be eligible to play immediately at WSU.

I was going to post that article too.........it seems that Marshall is spinning the deluge of transfers as guys being unhappy with their playing time, but 3 of the guys who transferred averaged more than 24 minutes per game, so I would think there is more to it than what Marshall is telling. My guess is there was some incident within the team last year and the team did not like how he handled it and lost respect. WSU did have end the season on a sour note with some excruciatingly tough/brutal losses, and that may have also had something to do with it.

My guess is there was some incident within the team last year and the team did not like how he handled it and lost respect. .
True....seems like a bunch of "incident's" from this quote: "But on the inside, Marshall said the team dealt with more off-the-court drama than any other season in his 13 years at WSU. "

I didn't think so...... but I'll repost a Hurley quote from the fall: “I play three guards, and I want them to all have interchangeable skills: be able to play in ball screens, on and off the ball, create and playmake, but also be able to score. So, when my system’s at its best, I have three guys that have the ability to do a multitude of things. In order for that to work, to play the elite teams, you’ve got to have high-level size. So, getting a guard that would have the ability to match up with a three, or the third perimeter guy for a high-level opponent, it usually has to be a 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 guy. So, that big guard’s critical. "

Another guy Uconn seems to be in the mix for... to replace AG...is exactly the type DH mentioned in the quote above....Martin is a 6-6/205lb guard who ave. 12.8 pts/ 7.0 rebs , while starting all 30 games at URI. He just finished his soph year...his FG 43.3% is a little better than Gilbert (36.8%)....while his 3pt and FT%'s... are about the same >>> Tyrese Martin College Stats

Also heard from Nebraska, Louisville, Ole Miss, Miami, Marquette, Georgia, Temple and Arizona State,

Last edited:
We are all over the transfers with really only one spot to offer. I hope we get the one that helps the most.

Good Call by OZ, AG has found a home (funny Oz still doesn't know how to spell his name)

also Dom adds some news on James:
In other UConn news, freshman star James Bouknight squelched any idea he might test the NBA Draft waters. He indicated he will return to UConn with an Instagram post. He captioned a photo of one of his dunks with the words, “We['ve] got unfinished business.”

We will be much better without Gilbert. CV's loss will hurt but it isn't fatal. Akok's loss is also big. We need bigs still because Carlton has flat lined and Akok won't be back next year. Our back court is fine but we will need Gaffney to be much better.

So, with the season ending the way it did. Do you guys think AL will come back? Personally, if possible I'd rather him and Sid go and we add Sanogo and ???? .......How do you guys feel...…………..
With AG gone and if Sid goes ........Sanogo (powerful big ready for the rotation) and Martin ( sit 1 to play 2 ??? ) would be my wish list:

247- Five schools prioritizing Adama Sanogo

Here's another bigger NYC guard (played prep in CT) that Goodman and Zags say Uconn is in on to replace AL (scholly) : shot close to 40% on 3's this year....(was also a DH recruit @ URI)
Dimencio Vaughn College Stats

Last edited:
Can make 3s. 39.3%. Vital's 3 point production needs to be replaced. Gaff and Bouk are solid 3 point shooters as is Adams - add this guy and all 5 guards are 3 point threats.

Can make 3s. 39.3%. Vital's 3 point production needs to be replaced. Gaff and Bouk are solid 3 point shooters as is Adams - add this guy and all 5 guards are 3 point threats.
True.... with RJ Cole replacing AL's slot as a PG, it'd be good to have a versatile SG/SF for Hurley's 1 in 4, out with the open scholly. Plus this kid looks like he can bully up, rebound and play physical @ 6-5/220lbs ( though it's a big jump up from the MAAC).... With Polley still on the mend and Akok a big question mark at all for next year, DH might rather go with a grad transfer, who he's sure won't have to sit out. He's got Springs now available for a back up role up front and if anything happens (Sid?) with another scholly opening, then he can always go after a big.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT