ADVERTISEMENT

A game that pretty much sums up this miserable season

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
This is now the worst UCONN season since 1987-1988
I honestly never considered the possibility that the program could slip to this level after what it had become.

The talent level is simply not there.
We were so obviously outmanned, the mismatches were glaring against SMU.
S-M-U ladies and gentlemen. We do not have enough talent to entertain the possibility of winning a home game against SMU. This is what has become of UCONN basketball.

I do commend the effort of the boys that were out on the floor in our uniforms
Clearly effort is not the problem.
This is all Kevin Ollie can do - enlist effort
Getting talented players that fit the way the game is played today, X's and O's...simply put KO is below average
And that's just not gonna cut it for UCONN

13-14
9-7 in the pitiful AAC (yes, this conference is absolutely pitiful)
0 wins against the RPI Top-50
An RPI North of 100
The building looks half empty on TV
Zero future NBA prospects on the current or incoming roster

Anyone suggesting Terry Larrier and Alterique Gilbert being active would have resulted in a drastically different season is delusional.

This is trending downward very quickly
The administration needs to recognize this and take swift action............................
UCONN is a miracle Jalen Adams 60 foot bank shot away from missing the tournament 3 years in a row
Please dont let this slip back to the days when UCONN basketball was irrelevant

The coaching search begins

Last edited:
Terry Larrier and Alterique Gilbert being active would have resulted in a better season. Those were two key starters: a versatile playmaking scorer and a gifted facilitator/perimeter defender. They are absolutely a tournament team with those two and with both back next year the future is bright.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I agree and believe the future is bright, but an experienced 5 is much needed. Jackson and Vital have grown as players and will be very good next year. Durham possibly should have been redshirted, but he should be a lot better too.

I haven't been thrilled with the direction of the program going into this year, especially after the start of the season, but we've been devastated by injuries. And we Have pro talent. Larrier was thought to be a first round pick and Adams and Jackson will each have careers in the NBA. Pretty sure Gilbert will as well, but I'd like to see some more of him.

If it were up to me, KO gets next year to win the American and go deep in the tourney. Anything less and it's time for a change. That being said, I'm optimistic we will have a good season in '18 with what's coming back.

Terry Larrier and Alterique Gilbert being active would have resulted in a better season. Those were two key starters: a versatile playmaking scorer and a gifted facilitator/perimeter defender. They are absolutely a tournament team with those two and with both back next year the future is bright.

I don't understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that UCONN was absolutely a tournament team with a healthy Larrier and Gilbert when this was the output when they played

Date Opponent Opp. RPI Rk Results
11-11 Wagner 14-13 (11-7) 235 58-67 L
11-14 Northeastern 15-15 (8-10) 127 61-64 L
11-17 at Loyola Marymount 14-14 (8-10) 139 65-62 W

They lost home games to teams with RPI rankings of 127 and 235, then beat a team with an RPI ranking of 139 by 3 points..............anyone who watched these games would hopefully agree the play was as lousy as the results would indicate

Far as I can tell, the only result of a healthy Larrier and Gilbert may have been an invite to the NIT. where they might not get an invite without them.

Color me unsatisfied with that destiny

I appreciate all the optimism about next year, but let's be realistic. Given the lack of opportunities for good wins in the AAC, it's imperative that UConn get off to a good start, since most of their top opponents will be played in out of conference games in November and December. That being said, the team needs to gel quickly. Now let's look at the roster: UConn will have somewhere between six and (hopefully) eight new players on this team. Three of them will be returning from serious injuries and will not have played competitive basketball in over a year. Given the nature of the injuries, it would be a stretch to think that they will be back at their pre-injury form by the start of the season, if ever (I'm thinking of Omar Calhoun here). Additionally, there will in all likelihood be four new starters, and the one returning starter will probably be playing in a different position. And for good measure, there's no senior leadership on the team. The situation doesn't look good for a team that needs to get off to a fast start. I'm thinking that two years down the road is probably a more reasonable time to expect to see UConn as a consistently ranked team which can make noise in the tournament.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT