ADVERTISEMENT

2015-16 Team Looks Good, But Who'll Drain Big 3s?

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Basically the same question I asked before last season after UConn lost 3 "lights out" 3 point marksmen off the 2014 national championship squad (Napier, Giffey, Daniels). It's rare to have 3 deadly 3 point shooters and it's nice to have 2, but having at least 1 is essential. Let's look at the candidates:

PG Jalen Adams- hasn't played college ball yet, looks like a nice shooter but production level unknown
SG Rodney Purvis - the leading returning 3 point shooter at 36%. Shot 39% his freshman year at NC State and his form looks good, but also shot a horrific 53% on FTs which concerns you. I see Purvis draining 3s in the 37-40% range.
SG Omar Calhoun- I thought this would be his biggest area of contribution but he shot a very average 34.2%. Like Purvis though, he is streaky as hell and you never know when he will be on or off.
SF Danny Hamilton - Looks like he has a nice stroke but like Rip Hamilton, smoother from mid range than long range as his average 34.3% 3 point stroke attests. Like Purvis I can see him shooting an improved % in the 37-40 range, not lights out but solid.
PG/SG - Sam Cassell Jr - this guy looked like the best 3 point shooter on the team in the 2 preseason games, then got hurt at some point and shot a miserable 26.5% for the year. He is clearly better than that and if healthy I could see him shooting close to 40%.
PF- Shonn Miller- according to Yale coach James Jones he is in love with his 3 point shot and he took almost 4 a game, but his 27% shooting of 3s demonstrates that he should not be showing that shot too much love.

By the way, just to refresh some recollections, here is what the "3 Amigos" shot from 3 point land for UConn in the national championship season:

Giffey 48.3%
Daniels 41.7%
Napier 40.5%

You have 3 starters shooting over 40%, you are going to be tough to beat. And they were.

This post was edited on 4/19 5:58 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

I like that we have any range of guys who CAN take them but you are right, who is the marksman................I really dont know.

There doesn't appear to be anybody who we can legitimately call lights out, like the 3 guys on the 2014 national championship team. We have a bunch of candidates for the position of "competent 3 point shooter." But it's like the position of closer in baseball - can you have a closer by committee? And can you have 3 point shooting by committee? I think it's really preferable if you have someone that can make dagger 3's. The 2014 team is the only team UConn had where there were 3 such players. The 2004 team had 2 guys, Ben Gordon and Rashad Anderson. The 1999 team had Albert Mouring, although Rip and Khalid were certainly competent 3 point shooters.

Last edited:
Sterling Gibbs is definitely a lights out 3 point shooter (43.6% last year), but problem is he plays for Seton Hall.

No he is interested in coming to UCONN as a 5th year LST... Oh and I don't drink

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT