ADVERTISEMENT

A wrap-up and look at next year

#1 kid is a local kid.......lets see him get him if he wasn't local. Pastor would have gotten that kid.

It is what it is, but I'm sure everyone in Memphis is happy with Penny...especially the bean counters. They were down to 6,200 fans a game 2 years ago and in free fall after what Pastner and Tubby left em'. Penny had em' drawing close to 15,000 this year with a so-so season. So I think they might have their program on the right path....;)

Reactions: Dominicfrank
True adding Precious would be like adding Dennis Rodman compared to Polley.. He ave. 8 rebs and over 2 blocks a game in just 24 ppg mins of AAU ball last year. ( He just had 22pts & 9 reb in the McD game). Then add in Akok's & Carlton's shot blocking at the 4/5 and they could have a frontline like the old Uconn teams with Rudy or Stanley at the 3. But from some of his interviews lately it seems like Uconn's just an afterthought.
More confirmation today from the Rivals "experts" that this seems to be the case: Rivals Roundtable: Hot topics for the late signing period

Bossi: I mentioned him above, but I can’t get any kind of read on what Precious Achiuwa is going to do. For the longest time it looked like UConn would be his destination, but from what I’ve heard it’s not going to happen. Kansas, Memphis and North Carolina have gotten visits and Georgia is still in play, but at least for now he doesn’t appear to be in any kind of hurry to decide.

Last edited:
in one breath Bossi says he cant get any kind of read AND that he hears its not UConn. Analysis: FOS

Also from the 3 Rivals writers one day ago:
Where he stands: Achiuwa just wrapped up an official visit to Memphis and has also taken recent trips to Kansas and North Carolina. UConn, Georgia and others are also involved. Predictions: Kansas (Bossi, McDonald); Memphis (Evans)
Also here's his last interview on Rivals, almost nothing regarding Uconn compared to the other schools: Precious Achiuwa Q&A: Visits, newcomers & the G-League route

Also regarding a decision timeline from Zags blog:
Me and my family were thinking about late May, maybe around that time,”

I'm just hoping Hurley doesn't sit around waiting on him and signs the next best big in the meantime with only one scholly and if someone else transfers from Uconn so be it.. I have a suspicion that this kid could end up being another one of these recruits..."some Uconn fans"... lose their minds over thinking they are leading at one point like Brandon Jennings. Or the one year wonders that aren't worth the trouble like Selby, Irving or Brandon Knight. Not saying Uconn will get another "consolation prize" like they did in those cases with Kemba and Bazz. But what if Achiuwa is another Jennings who eventually committed to Zona then never played for them ? Precious says " as of right now, we are leaning toward college " But I'd hate to be the school that holds off to the end for a "one and done"
(that's never happened at Uconn except for Drummond) or with this new option on the table come decision time:

NBA, G League to offer elite high school recruits $125K contracts in 2019-20

Last edited:
Also minutes ago from @Dave Borges of the NH Register:

"Of course, there’s still five-star forward Precious Achiuwa, a McDonald’s All-American in whom the Huskies have devoted plenty of recruiting hours. However, while it appeared UConn had as good a chance as any to land him a few months ago, those chances now appear to be lessening. North Carolina appears to be his likely landing spot, though Achiuwa also recently visited Memphis, and Kansas is still strong. He has not visited UConn, and while his lengthy recruitment has been as unpredictable as any, a commitment to the Huskies seems unlikely at this point."

Last edited:
Where he stands: Achiuwa just wrapped up an official visit to Memphis and has also taken recent trips to Kansas and North Carolina. UConn, Georgia and others are also involved. Predictions: Kansas (Bossi, McDonald); Memphis (Evans)....Also here's his last interview on Rivals, almost nothing regarding Uconn : Precious Achiuwa Q&A: Visits, newcomers & the G-League route
Also regarding a decision timeline from Zags blog:
Me and my family were thinking about late May, maybe around that time,”

I'm just hoping Hurley doesn't sit around waiting on him and signs the next best big in the meantime with only one scholly and if someone else transfers from Uconn so be it.. I have a suspicion that this kid could end up being another one of these recruits..."some Uconn fans"... lose their minds over thinking they are leading at one point like Brandon Jennings. Or the one year wonders that aren't worth the trouble like Selby, Irving or Brandon Knight. Not saying Uconn will get another "consolation prize" like they did in those cases with Kemba and Bazz. But what if Achiuwa is another Jennings who eventually committed to Zona then never played for them ? Precious says " as of right now, we are leaning toward college " But I'd hate to be the school that holds off to the end for a "one and done" (that's never happened at Uconn except for Drummond) or with this new option on the table come decision time:

NBA, G League to offer elite high school recruits $125K contracts in 2019-20

Preciuos as always nada regarding Uconn the last few months ....(Quinones had some Uconn noise last fall)....but regarding Memphis:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT