ADVERTISEMENT

A wrap-up and look at next year

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
“There are no delusions of grandeur with this coaching staff,” Hurley said. “Throughout the year, we’ve known exactly where we are at. If we don’t have the injuries — with Alterique (Gilbert) and Jalen — obviously, we could have represented ourselves better throughout the course of the year. We’ve known where we’re at, and how far we have to go.”

Also they need to do something about the 4 guys (even though KO lost one of the schollies) who gave them next to nothing on the roster.... Yakwe ( for a minute), Kwintin ( gone), Mamadou ( will he ever play again ? and really who cares) and Whaley ( and his last minute sighting)... Plus you have to recruit right over the 2 anorexic wings who he tries to play as 4's, Polley and Wilson or stick them in front of the diner table 8 hours a day. So if this is true below ( we've heard it before, Ajou Ajou, Majok, Ferrari's, ... ya da ya da).... the 2 above need to lose major minutes or gain 30lbs:

"Akok Akok is already here, and the 6-foot-9 forward’s talent has truly stood out in practice since he joined the team, according to those who’d know. Jalen Gaffney and James Bouknight are a pair of highly-touted guards on the way, and Hurley and his staff are still hot on the trail of some high-profile targets."
( who ????)

Last edited:

“He’s grown a lot,” said Hurley. “Listen, he’s had incredible bad luck in terms of timing of a player of his caliber coming into the program. My heart kind of breaks for him because of the conditions that he’s had to play through. And he’s had an amazing career playing through it. Not many players of his caliber have come to UConn and have had to go through the career under the conditions he’s had — the program sliding, coaching transition.

“Obviously, not being surrounded by what some of the great players in the past have been surrounded by, I don’t think a guy could have handle it much better,” Hurley continued. “I don’t think somebody could have kept such a positive attitude and been such a good guy to be around while having kind of everything around him not what he signed on for. So, I’ll always admire that about him. And I hope to stay connected with him through what I think is going to be an amazing professional career.”

Hurley and his staff are still hot on the trail of some high-profile targets

Who? At this point they need 4 guys to fill 4 starting positions. As far as I am concerned Carlton is the only player who should be assured of a starting position on next year’s team.

True that, especially at Arizona and LSU and possibly Auburn, there could be transfers and decommits en masse. It’s also possible some guys could fall into UConn’s lap and maybe they even pick up some decent grad transfers like Lasan Kromah or Shonn Miller. That’s the optimistic way of looking at it. The pessimist might look at it and say that absent using the approach of Will Wade and LSU, making some “strong-ass offers”, we are looking at a 4-5 year rebuild from bottom up. This is really the first time in UConn history that you look at the team and say, “tear that shit down and start from scratch”. Even when Calhoun was hired, Robison and Gamble were solid building blocks that enabled an NIT champion in the 2nd year of the rebuild. UConn has even less now. A roster of underfed boys playing in a grown man’s league.

Last edited:
Who? At this point they need 4 guys to fill 4 starting positions. As far as I am concerned Carlton is the only player who should be assured of a starting position on next year’s team.
True, and thank you Kenya Hunter.

Gilbert hasn't shown the mental capacity (BB IQ), shooting ability (career 37 FG% / 31% on 3's) or endurance to be a leader.

We have a 6-2 ...3 star/ 145th ranked guard (who got lucky because of injuries) who thinks he's an NBA player, but can't score or pass off the dribble like any normal guard. But he masks it by getting some rebounds and playing D when he wants to.....he would've been a fourth guard on any pre-KO Uconn team if he was lucky. And he still plays games like he thinks he's Ray Allen in regards to coming back or turning pro (Euro pro on a good day).

Then we have a 6-8 forward( being kind, he plays like a 2 with no handle) who now starts and is worse than the TO machine b4 him( Larrier) who was supposed to be an NBA player, LOL!.....He can't get a sniff of a rebound, play D or do anything but hit wide open 3's. The only thing he did better than the fraud before him was shoot less & commit less TO's (21 to 65)...

Jalen's gone so that's the fourth, makes ya long for the days of Shonn Miller and Daniel Hamiton, despite their teams limited success.... before KO lost the 3 guys who could've been starters here before he trainwrecked the entire program that spring (17'), with no recruits in sight...

Last edited:
As the roster is currently constituted, are we looking at the following for next year...

1 Gilbert
2 Vitale
3/4 Polley
3/4 Wilson
5 Carlton

Or Ajok at the 4? We need to look for a grad transfer at Guard with Gilbert’s injury history. I hope Whaley hangs around.

I can almost guarantee you that will not be the starting lineup next year, although it would be based on how the roster is currently constituted (possibly excepting Akok Akok at the 4). Hurley will not be in this job very long if that’s the lineup he marches out on the floor to start the season.

Last edited:
% chance on Precious right now? If we made an NIT run, I think this would be an easier sale.

Which of our incoming guards are closer to being ready to start? Hopefully Gafney, So Gilbert can play off the ball since he doesn’t make others better. But then we are really tiny and probably would have to ask Gafney to guard the 2.

I’m assuming Vitale is coming back, unless he wants to play in Europe and/or sell insurance.

Actually Borges published an article suggesting Vital is history. I thought Blades had posted it but if not here it is:

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-notebook-Jalen-Adams-is-gone-but-what-13692394.php

VITAL SIGNS?

Vital was asked about the team’s potential for next season.

“I think the group is gonna definitely be a good group next year,” he said. “A lot of guys coming back, the incoming freshmen, James (Bouknight) and Jalen (Gaffney), those two guards coming in will definitely be really good for the program, as well. I think the team is gonna use this last game as a learning experience. This whole year in general, as a good learning experience for everybody.”

Vital never used the word “we” or referenced himself as part of next year’s team. As a junior, Vital likely wouldn’t want to transfer and sit out a full season just to play one more elsewhere. He won’t be picked in the NBA draft, but could opt to play professionally somewhere, either overseas or, perhaps, in the G League.

Vital briefly tested the NBA waters last spring before returning to UConn. Asked if he planned to test the waters again, he replied: “I’m just trying to dwell on this season and thinking about being here with my teammates, pretty much.”

Regarding your suggestion that Gilbert become the latest in a line of 5'10" shooting guards at UConn which have included Vernon Giscombe, Johnny Gwynn, and Dougie Wiggins, I have also considered this possibility. He needs to shoot better, but he has the essentials to be as good as those 3 guys were. A Gwynn-type role off the bench might be good for him. Possibly, Gwynn can be brought in to "special guest" coach him on how to take open mid range jumpers of the kind Johnny was very good at finding and making.

Last edited:
Vitale is gone, he is a terrible fit for DH. Ive had to try ans explain to the UConn fans without a BB IQ the issues with him. He is terrible.

Give me Akok, two freshman and hopefully the prize still out there Precious with Gilbert and Carlton and watch them all grow. Polly/Wilson/Adams coming off the bench.

“(At URI), you’re able to do it on an island, even more so at Wagner,” Hurley noted. “You’re able to rebuild the program without a whole lot of people caring, until you get real good. Here, everyone’s living and dying with every loss as you’re going through a rebuilding process. It’s frustrating for everyone because of the level this place has been at, which is different than the other places.”

"And, of course, talent. This is probably what the Huskies lacked most of all this season. It’s been evident in practices, where top recruit Akok Akok (currently a walk-on) has truly stood out since enrolling in January. It’s what UConn needs, what Dan Hurley needs, to continue the upward arc of this rebuild. Akok is ready to go next season. Guards James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney, Hurley-style players, will be on board. More recruiting work is to be done. Gilbert, Christian Vital, Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley, Brendan Adams would make a solid returning base, if they all come back. "

I think Vitale could be valuable off the bench or even as a third guard, as long as you have two ball handlers and playmakers(is Gilbert one of those guys? Not sure).

I think his defense gets over blown and is inconsistent, like his shot. If he’s hot, ride him. If he’s not and playing average defense, bench him.

Adams development will be important. He has some ability, but has to make major strides to help this team win next year.

I think Vitale could be valuable off the bench or even as a third guard, as long as you have two ball handlers and playmakers(is Gilbert one of those guys? Not sure).
I think his defense gets over blown and is inconsistent, like his shot. If he’s hot, ride him. If he’s not and playing average defense, bench him.
Adams development will be important. He has some ability, but has to make major strides to help this team win next year.
......very true.......Amen....+1

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
from Dom....

"Roster management:
Any player who doesn’t play is a possibility to transfer. Isaiah Whaley barely played, but got into the AAC tournament win for significant minutes. Christian Vital, who locked horns with Hurley late in the season, was noncommittal about coming back in the moments after the loss to Houston. He tested the NBA waters last season. If UConn has multiple players transfer or leave early, it could leave holes to fill with spring recruits, which, as was learned in 2017, is tricky business."

Don't see any need for Mamadou, will he ever pay again ?... he looked like he could hardly run in the 2 games he was out there.

Give me Akok, two freshman and hopefully the prize still out there Precious with Gilbert and Carlton and watch them all grow. Polly/Wilson/Adams coming off the bench.

One thing you are leaving out, which is sorely missing, is a “dirty work” big man who can board, set picks and clog up the lane. Akok and Carlton are not such players. They are glory big men. You need to compliment the glory big men with a dirty work big or the dirty work doesn’t get done.

I also think a 3 point shooter is needed.

One thing you are leaving out, which is sorely missing, is a “dirty work” big man who can board, set picks and clog up the lane. Akok and Carlton are not such players. They are glory big men. You need to compliment the glory big men with a dirty work big or the dirty work doesn’t get done.

Regarding other bigs from Corey Evans 5 days ago:
The Huskies will remain in pursuit of other frontcourt options including Tre Mitchell, but rumors have swirled around him ending up at UMass. Providence and Virginia Tech are involved, too. They have also kept tabs on junior college standouts Khadim Sy and Emmanuel Agboh, and are most likely to be active in the grad-transfer market this spring.

Sy and Agboh both seem to be have the size to be dirty work bigs - but we have to see them play to determine if they have the toughness. There have been guys on UConn who had size but no toughness at all, so we will have to see about these guys. No more Jonathan Mandeldoves.

Found this on youtube, (sound optional) a look at the 2 guards coming in.... also Uconn's current recruiting class is Ranked # 18 Nationally
but next question is where's the beef ?

Last edited:
Also here's a first look at next year ahead of any attrition or additions.....( currently at 11 schollies)
2019-20-UConn-BB.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that didn't take long, but how serious can we take a prediction who has Wilson starting over Carlton ?

I like where this is going no doubt. Akok and the two guards are a BIG injection of talent for UConn no two ways about it. Precious remains the key to a hyper jump though and I think we have a legit shot to land him. Legit shot.

Wow that didn't take long, but how serious can we take a prediction who has Wilson starting over Carlton ?

Not very seriously. UConn will be better but for this prediction to be accurate I think another big man is needed. I am also not sure that the decision making of a Gilbert-Vital backcourt is good enough to propel the team into top 25 status.

One of the commenters called it a “stretch” to include UConn. I would tend to agree since the team is coming off a 9th place finish in the AAC. However if a dirty work big man can be recruited and Gilbert can improve his Court generalship and actually facilitate offense like he is supposed to, and Carlton continues his development, I can see a top 25 ranking at some point.

Last edited:
Not very seriously. UConn will be better but for this prediction to be accurate I think another big man is needed. I am also not sure that the decision making of a Gilbert-Adams backcourt is good enough to propel the team into top 25 status.
+1000.....
and I'd guess you mean Gilbert- Vital not Adams ? Though Uconn does have an Adams the NBC Top 25 doesn't list. But who knows what Vital will do and if he'll be here next year.

They list, but seems more like: Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, James Bouknight( or Polley), Josh Carlton, Akok Akok as the starting 5.

# 24. UCONN

• WHO’S GONE: Jalen Adams, Tarin Smith, Eric Cobb, Kassoum Yakwe
  • WHO’S BACK: Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, Josh Carlton, Sid Wilson, Tyler Polley
  • WHO’S COMING IN: Akok Akok, James Bouknight, Jalen Gaffney
  • PROJECTED STARTERS: Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, James Bouknight, Sid Wilson, Akok Akok

Last edited:
Yeah I edited my post that was a typo I meant Vital- with him and Gilbert you can’t really rely on great decisions with the ball every time down the court. They are pride and guts kind of guys but they are not high IQ guys, and besides that who will set picks for them? Vital in particular could be made to improve substantially if they sit him down and tell him he will be a catch and shoot guy run off screens and also get the big body to set the screens and also tell him any drives that result in a live ball TO will result in demerits and then give him a demerit cap to his starting position. That’s how he should be handled.

A look back and look ahead ( talks about the 3 new FR) from SNY ( Scott Burrell sighting)...shout out to Storrs South:

Last edited:
If we hit a home run and land Precious, the lineup could look like this...

1 Gilbert
2 Vital
3 Precious
4 Akok
5 Carlton

Bench consisting of the frosh guards, Adams, Wilson and Whaley? Diarra seems like a medical DQ.

247’s always solid Crystal Ball has UConn well in the lead over St. John’s, Syracuse and Memphis for Achiuwa but as I have already said I don’t know how well those pieces fit. You can’t win starting 3 glory bigs and no dirty work bigs, this has more or less been proven over time. Last night you saw two teams that featured dirty work big men and guards who know how to pass the ball.

Not that Uconn seems to be in the mix or getting to much mention recently ..but you don't think he's capable of playing tough & doing the dirty work ?
(just measured at 6-9/223 w/ a 7-2 wingspan)

We can only play who’s on the roster. I like Whaleys energy. I’ve never seen Akok or Precious.

Precious sounds like a 4 in college at that size. Although He, Akok and Carlton would definitely help on the backboard. Add in Vitale’s rebounding at the 2.

A lot of our fan base didn’t like the small ball we played this year. This would remedy that.

True adding Precious would be like adding Dennis Rodman compared to Polley.. He ave. 8 rebs and over 2 blocks a game in just 24 ppg mins of AAU ball last year. ( He just had 22pts & 9 reb in the McD game). Then add in Akok's & Carlton's shot blocking at the 4/5 and they could have a frontline like the old Uconn teams with Rudy or Stanley at the 3. But from some of his interviews lately it seems like Uconn's just an afterthought.

True adding Precious would be like adding Dennis Rodman compared to Polley.. He ave. 8 rebs and over 2 blocks a game in just 24 ppg mins of AAU ball last year. ( He just had 22pts & 9 reb in the McD game). Then add in Akok's & Carlton's shot blocking at the 4/5 and they could have a frontline like the old Uconn teams with Rudy or Stanley at the 3. But from some of his interviews lately it seems like Uconn's just an afterthought.
But I guess the AAC is still in play:

Last edited:
Precious would be the get of all gets.......puts UConn on the map and rank us with a legit Sweet 16 chance if not better.

Memphis is doing the UConn play with an NBA player as a coach....COULD work as Penny and Mike Miller had much better careers than Ollie but Ollie had a ton more experience coaching on NBA level and was under JC......Im not sure Penny can pull Memphis back to a national team.

Penny's certainly getting the players with the #1 recruit in the country and currently in the top 10 classes. (2019 Team Ranks). Memphis is the only team ahead Uconn in AAC recruiting for the 2019's and probably a top 5 class with Precious. Uconn on the other hand could probably move up to the top 10 with a last minute upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT