ADVERTISEMENT

Yale Thread

I'm telling you folks.........this season could be one of the ugliest. Boat and Hamilton are the only talent on the team.

DAmn.......this is just so so so so bad. No energy, no team work, no skill, no passion..........Yale looks like a church league team.

NOLAN !!!!!! YES !!! THAT MF'r needs to be CUT NOW. This is F'ing embarrassing.

TV guys need to stop talking about Brimah's weight gain, he is still a twig and cant clear out literally ANYONE on offense trying to gain position or on defense. Cant believe I thought he was going to be a factor this year, I was way off. Facey is a mental midget, Samuels has a Jr. Varsity handle, Cassell is just not a D1 athlete, Nolan needs to become the assistant team equipment manager, Purvis needs to sit out this year due to a bruised psyche while Boat dreams about a season making 400K in China and Hamilton waits for Adams and Stone.

I guess everyone is taking the night off on here ? Everyone thought this was a gimmie ?

Nolan nolan nolan. Got a bucket but only because he wasnt called for the travel but then comes back to form and loses rebound to himself out of bounds.

We should all hate Nolan now......on that charge he gets up and smiles at the camera on his way off the floor. That is enough of him. That was a lucky call, he should have gone hands up and sealed it off. He is terrible.

Congrats Yale. UCONN deserves the loss you deserve the win. UCONN has hit rock bottom. Disaster season is well under way, this team wont make the NIT.

Two games in a row Boat misses a FT to lead to a loss. Unacceptable from your leader.

We are in real trouble, there is just no talent on this team. Ollie has failed them, they are not prepared and they are all bad recruits aside from Hamilton and Boat.

It was a woeful display of basketball, but Boatright played hurt and Purvis played like two minutes, neither could hang on to the ball, and it's hard to win with backup guards and other guys having to become primary scorers. Yale was solid, played very scrappy and hustled and deserved to win the game. UConn played well at times on defense but the offense is really bad and a lot of that is due to guards not being healthy. Purvis came in and he looked like he couldn't dribble the ball and they got him right the hell out of there. The ball looked buttered for both Purvis and Boatright.

It's rock bottom but is this really worse than losing at Louisville by 33?

Yale outrebounded UConn 36-25. O Boards was 13-1 Yale, no excuse for that at all. Yale outblocked UConn 4-2 and had 11 TOs while UConn had 13. UConn shot 2-11 (18%) on 3s but Yale was actually worse at 3-21 but made their last.

The stats all suggest not very good play by UConn but the boards is where they lost the game. 13-1 on O boards should not happen.

Exactly haven't lost to Yale since 1986 ...they haven't even been close for years(1990)...Clueless
players no idea how to switch on D....could have fouled Yale 2 times to kill more clock in the final secs
with a 4 point lead....... terrible team IQ with no leadership and Chokeright has killed his team with FT's 2
games in a row. Gonna be a long year...after the summer lobotomy....And why was Nolan playing in the
last sequence he's terrible..nice dunk Phil and that in bounds pass was a thing of beauty...I better stop now ...

1 Offensive rebound is an absolute joke. We outrebounded those Texas monsters but then we decided to put forth this piss poor effort on the glass tonight.

Flat out, we stink right now. From KO to the last player on our bench, we suck.

KO is doing a bad job coaching, he used to put his guys in great positions to succeed and he hasn't figured out his team to this point. Not to mention those great drawn up plays he would run last year are non existent this year. Seriously he couldn't draw up a single set play for us the last 6 and half mins of the Texas game and once again down the stretch tonight.

Boat is not Bazz or Kemba that is for sure. Neither one of those guys would let this debacle happen on their watch, I don't care if he had a bum ankle.

This is the worst loss I have witnessed since the George Mason disaster. It is pretty clear that we are no better than a NIT team at this point and we really need to win our conference tourney if we have a chance at making the NCAA Tournament.

Good luck to KO and the players in getting this turned around, they are gunna need it

Boat cant miss those FT's. If he hits them against Texas adn Yale we are 2-0. That is the most disheartening thing so far through this whole thing is that our one proven player missed where he is the best.

KO can say all he wants that his team is at rock bottom and that he needs to find the fighters but to me this is all on him. Literally there is not one thing about this team that looks good. Boat is out best player and he stripped today like a church league PG and I dont care about the bum ankle, his moves were so telegraphed...... TSam seems to have gotten worse than last year and dont get me started on Brimah, he MIGHT become a stud but that kid is MILES away from being big enough to be counted on but I could move him around on either side of the ball with ease. Hamilton has skills but without a BAzz type out there with him how is a freshman supposed to create on his own as a 3 ? Facey is an empty skull, the kid has NO emotions! Nolan needs to be kicked off the team, I hate seeing him out there. He just doesn't care and is so unskilled, that Fing smile at the camera ? If KO sees that he should be relegated to Women s team practice squad so he can get schooled by Stokes and Stewie. Cassell is a defensive moron and who fricken knows why Purvis and Omar are even on this team, they have no heart or guts.

I could stomach a loss even to a POS team like Yale if we are busting our butts out there on every play and the other team just is better or tree's and hits everything. HOWEVER, this team is soft physically and mentally.

The real problem with this team and the reason why the offense has been so bad is that the point guard play has been bad. Boatright is miscast as a point guard. He is really a shooting guard which is what he was last year. He has a scorer's mentality. In fact UConn has too many guys with a scoring mentality. Last night Boatright, and Purvis when he was in the game, repeatedly lost their dribbles. Samuel and Hamilton made lazy high school passes that led to fastbreaks the other way. The one thing we have seen consistently in almost every game is bad assist to turnover ratios and bad outside shooting. Those two stats are related to each other because their has not been very good passing and working of the ball inside and out to get good shots. Even Brimah one time when they got him the ball and the double team came over threw a lazy pass back outside that floated and was easily picked off.

I am inclined to believe that some of these issues will be improved as the players get to know each other and develop roles. However the point guard issue is a big issue. Boatright does not really have the ballhandling skills to consistently penetrate and dish, he is just too turnover prone. He is at his best penetrating and pulling up for mid range jumpers. So until Adams comes next year this will be a problem. Honestly I think UConn needs to make some changes and one of them is to put Boatright back at shooting guard but the problem is I am not sure Samuel is good enough to start at point guard and none of the other guys look like point guard candidates. Samuel has had a number of assistless games and when he plays a lot of minutes you can see the various issues with his game and one them is he doesn't have good instincts as far as what passes should be made and when and when he has opening to the hole that he can finish.

Good synopsis, KSTW

Boat is what we thought he is despite his attempt to play smarter...a good B actor but not a headliner,
just doesn't have the vision, the floor general smarts or the mentality when it's on him and it starts breaking down.
He's a macho "think I can go over everybody".... fly to the rim guy into traffic because he has no trust
in his shot (down to 20% on 3's)...it's loser ball. But to give him some relief nobody's been making outside
shots anyway when he kicks it out ..besides Cassell (2-3) last night,

Then we have a guy like Cassell who actually has good IQ and was the only one finding seams,
creating gaps vs. the zone, but struggles on D and is subpar athletically.... though he did man up:
Confessed Cassell: "(Boatright) called a switch. I thought I saw a guy come through the middle.
The guy went to the corner. It was my fault."

I don't know what Purvis is at this point except a klutz dribbling into traffic with a poor handle. Samuel is
what we saw he was last year....come in ...don't shoot, move the ball to the scorers, play good D and
give guys a rest. Now he's forced to do more and can't.

And from Borges
at the NHR-

Not trying to take anything out of context (or, as Roger Clemens would say, content) here, but I think Kevin Ollie was
taking a not-so-subtle jab at Omar Calhoun with this quote on Friday night at Gampel:

Asked about Ryan Boatright's effort, Ollie reponded: "Ryan's got to do a better job with the four turnovers, just careless

turnovers. But I applaud his effort out there, because a lot of people are sitting on that bench, hurt. I know his ankle hurts,
but he got up there and played. I've got to applaud that."

Calhoun, of course, has yet to play this season after suffering a preseason right knee sprain. Meanwhile, Purvis -- who
missed Sunday's Texas loss with a high ankle sprain -- gave it a go. He came off the bench but missed all three shots
in eight first-half minutes and never returned to the floor.

"He's limping around, I just didn't think he was effective," said Ollie. "I just thought our energy picked up in the second
half and I was going with the guys that were playing hard. Not saying Rodney wasn't playing hard, but that group in
there -- Sam (Cassell) starting, (Terrence Samuel) coming in -- got us back in the game."

As far as next year----
we don't know what Adams BB IQ is by watching highlights, like Purvis we see a bunch of dunks, etc.
Those clips are interesting until he gets into a real D-1 game with real D and is forced to make plays you don't
have to in HS or lead which is nothing you'll ever find on Youtube.

I agree withe everything you said Blades.

This is not the first time Ollie took a subtle shot at Calhoun, the other day he said that Calhoun needs to be "mentally ready" before he can play. It was a strange quote within the context of which it was made.

It's a very disappointing start to a season I thought would be interesting. I thought the team had so much more potential, but I see now that there are some serious offensive issues that will be very hard to solve. Boatright is miscast in his current role, Brimah lacks the physical strength to be effective against the better teams like Texas, Cassell as mentioned by Blades has good IQ but is subpar athletically and on D, Purvis does not seem anywhere near what he was hyped to be and could be a major bust, and Nolan, who might be the biggest disappointment of all, is so weak offensively that he can't throw down an easy uncontested slam. This is not to mention that Facey had no points and was invisible last night and is a completely one dimensional rebounder who grabbed 3 boards last night, while Nolan had 1 and Brimah 4. Meanwhile Boatright had 6 with a bad ankle. It's a flawed team. The good news is that nobody will be bolting for the NBA because there are no NBA players on this team right now.

By the way I went back and watched tape on the 3 by Montague and the shot did not look so wide open as the 3 Holmes got from Texas. It was just a really good inbounds pass and Cassell really wasn't that slow to react to it, just a well executed play by Yale. If Boatright had made a FT the game goes to OT and UConn wins in OT. In any event Yale led almost the whole game and nobody here could say UConn deserved to win this game.

Just pathetic. That was one of the worst losses I have ever seen from a UConn basketball team.

Not only was the team playing poorly, but there was just no sense of urgency to win this game. Everyone is trying to prove themselves right now and they are not playing collectively as a team.

Like all of you mentioned, Kevin Ollie has played a major factor in this but the effort of the players is not there.

You can have all the talent in the world but team effort and sharing the basketball is what determines games.

The worst part is that it was a home game at Gampel. First loss to Yale in almost 30 years.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long season for UConn fans but I hope I am wrong.

agree with everyone.....

except on the boat ft miss, if hit one he had another and if hits them both we are up 4 and win the game.

I don't think this team has any hope of being good. Seriously we wont win the sac or finish over .500 unless we get a lot better quickly and I just don't see how that happens. Coppin State has a legit shot at beating us and god help us against Duke.

Well, #17 Michigan lost at home to NJIT, which doesn't even have a winning record like Yale does. So their is company in this misery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT