ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State Wins Impressively Over Arizona

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
I watched this game last night and was very impressed with Wichita State. You think of them as a 3 point shooting team, but they shot 3-20 for 3s last night and still beat Arizona by 10. The reason why is they play great defense. I couldn't get over how hard their kids play. They have 3-4 kids out there hustling and diving for loose balls at all times. I also note that they limited Arizona's 7 footer Tarczewski to 3 touches all game. Big men cannot hurt you if they are denied the ball. UConn did the same thing to Josh Scott in the second half yesterday. If I was Miami I would not be looking forward to playing a Wichita State team that won each of their first two games in the tournament very decisively. From what I see of Wichita State they should have been much higher seeded.

On another note, I was not surprised Gonzaga beat Seton Hall by 16. Although SHU came into the tourney red hot, they are kind of young and Gonzaga is one of those teams that doesn't make mistakes. They are not the same team that beat UConn earlier this year without Karnewski, meaning their front line is not quite as large or imposing, but they have given Sabonis a bigger role and frankly, he is the best player on their team, not Wiltjer. Sabonis might be the best big man in college basketball. I think he will be an amazing pro and possibly better than his father who, in his youth, was the best center in the world along with David Robinson. I will never forget the Robinson-Sabonis matchup in the world championships in 1988 or so, which the USA won by 2 as I recall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT