ADVERTISEMENT

Who Will Win NCAA Men’s Tournament?

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
i am starting to believe it’s more wide open than I originally thought. Here are the short list of contenders and my feelings about them:

North Carolina: along with Gonzaga, they are one of the more unselfish teams I have seen play this year, they are great on the boards, and great in transition. They also shoot the 3 very well and Cam Johnson is possibly the best 3 point shooter in the country. They might still be my favorite, although last night, UNC’s bigs were completely abused inside by Zion Williamson of Duke. Possibly weak defensively at the 4 and 5.

Gonzaga: Similar to UNC- very good offensive team, unselfish. I was shocked that they were beaten by St. Mary’s slowdown tactics in the WCC final. They are a very experienced team and I didn’t see that loss coming. They could go all the way or get beat early, depending on bracket and placement and how well their defense plays. I think they are up there with UNC and Duke as favorites.

Duke: They are supertalented but also super inexperienced, and I generally don’t like lack of experience in big games. Their big 3 guys are prone to getting offensive fouls. That being said, they have the most talent and might be able to win on talent but I wouldn’t bet on it. Zion Williamson is a freak and a pro playing in college and is showing it every game. He has an impressive all around game and overpowers people inside on this level.

Virginia: I lost confidence in them after their loss to Florida State last night. They rely on system more than talent and last night were clearly bothered by FSU’s length and athleticism. FSU killed them in isolation mismatches and Tony Bennett stayed with his small guard Clark, who was abused, much to my surprise. Supposedly they will still get a 1 seed. I don’t recommend putting a lot of money on them, although they are very good.

Florida State: I was very impressed with them when they played UConn and thought they were the best team UConn played this year. Long, athletic, well coached, and they play better D than all of the teams listed above except Virginia. Live Dark Horse.

Kentucky: Not as talented as recent Kentucky teams. I saw them a few times this year and thought they were good, but not on the same level as the teams noted above. Dark Horse.

Field horse teams: Tennessee, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Houston, Kansas, Villanova- all of these teams are good but to me not quite in the same class as the teams listed above.

Last edited:
I see the 4 #1 seeds as Duke, UNC, Virginia, and Gonzaga. Possible fly in the ointment is Michigan-Michigan State winner taking Gonzaga's #1 seed, more likely if MSU wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT