ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to the NCAA investigation at North Carolina?

Husky fan in Va.

Dec 3, 2010
So living in ACC country for the past 20+ years I have constantly heard about how the ACC conference is so much better than all others. This of course is certainly enhanced by the media bias towards them. I go back and forth with a buddy about the ACC vs. what was the former Big East. I heard all the business once they had 6 teams in the Sweet 16 this year, 3 of which I pointed out were former Big East members. Now I get a text this morning about 2 of the Final Four teams being from the ACC. I responded back saying actually there were "technically" 2 Big East teams representing and they probably would have had a 3rd if North Carolina players did not have all that extra time to practice due to skipping classes and still passing their classes.

So whatever happened with the investigation on that? I sort of got away from the coverage but it looks like, as I suspected from the beginning, it just got swept under the carpet.

Screw the NCAA, and ESPN, for breaking up the "Best" basketball conference ever. If none of the Power 5 conferences will have UCONN, they should try to get their basketball teams back in the new Big East, not sure what that leaves the football team with. I know that's not going to happen but we are dead in the water if we stay in the AAC. It will be very difficult to continue to attract top level recruits, even the 4 stars, if we don't.

SB Nation: Roy Williams and the UNC Tar Heels Can Go To Hell

UNC was playing well outside the rules, as a 2014 re-opening of an older investigation would later confirm. This had been traced back to at least 1997, during the last days of Dean Smith's tenure as head coach.

"The most similar case to the UNC scandal was perpetrated by the Minnesota Golden Gophers men's basketball team under Clem Haskins. The NCAA hit Minnesota with major sanctions including the dreaded "lack of institutional control." As USA Today's Steve Weiberg wrote back in 2001:

It was two years ago last March that the St. Paul Pioneer Press began pulling back the curtain on what the NCAA eventually would classify as the worst academic scandal to hit a college athletic program in a couple of decades, revolving around a tutor who wrote papers for at least 18 players over a 5-year period and a coach — Clem Haskins — who allegedly tolerated the practice.
Haskins was forced to resign, as was the athletic director, and the 1997 Final Four appearance was vacated. Scholarship and recruiting restrictions damaged the program considerably. They've been to the tournament just four times since the 1999 scandal, with the first coming in 2005, and haven't been back to the Sweet 16. Haskins was hit with a seven year show-cause penalty."

So, what became of Roy Williams and the Tar Heels? Where are they now that the NCAA charged them with a lack of institutional control last June?
Somehow, the fact that even more institutional fraud in other UNC sports emerged meant the sanctions were delayed indefinitely. Quite convenient timing, considering that Roy Williams described this year's Tar Heels as "his favorite team of all time". This team will send most of its players to the NBA, and Williams will retire at that juncture. Then and only then will the NCAA consider acting. Even though the University is being sued by former athletes because they received no education, the Roy Williams Basketball Academy has rolled into the Final Four because the NCAA lacks either the authority or the will to step in and say that this is not acceptable. Of course, they were much more decisive with SMU " The Final Four run of these UNC Shit Heels destroys the NCAA's credibility and lays bare their favoritism "

* Mark Emmert says investigation into North Carolina academic fraud nears end

I'm glad that the dukie Jay Williams and then Jalen Rose after talked about it last night during the Mickey Ds Powerade jamfest stuff!

They need to lose Saturday or Monday night and preferably to OU:)

Reactions: uconnbill
Oh and regarding those slimmy orange sh#theads that conveniently banned themselves last year, when they weren't going to make the NCAA's anyway.... This is what that selective douche of a mouth piece had to say regarding the corrupt NCCA hierarchy that allowed that self serving ban:

Emmert should be banned from even opening his lying mouth !!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT