ADVERTISEMENT

What state puts out more Pro's ? CT or ARK, OK, IA, WV, NEB, KS, KY, Wisc..

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
I found this surprising chart on TOS. CT puts out equal or more than all of the states above.
For all the talk about lack of recruiting talent in New England.... CT for a small state puts
out alot of NFL talent compared to many of these hugely popular FB states and a few more
with BCS programs like Minnesota, Utah, Colorado, Oregon and Indiana. Along with double
the amount of players compared to our northern NE neighbor Massachusetts:

03db0fa9-f36f-e211-a211-002655e6c126_original.jpg

This post was edited on 8/9 8:44 AM by the Blades

The problem is UConn recruiting.....

Sure, the state of Oregon doesn't produce much talent....But they recruit where the talent is...31 players on the roster from California and another 5 from Texas/Florida.

Six out of the eight current 2014 Oregon recruits are from California or Texas.

But the main thing is the quality of the recruits...Oregon, for 2014, has three 4 star guys and three 3 star guys...out of eight.

Indiana doesn't produce a lot of NFL talent, but Indiana pulled four 4 star kids from their own state last year.

UConn has four 2014 recruits who are unrated, five 2 star guys, no 4 star guys, and two 3 star guys.

UConn's Class ratings for the last three years gave been 101, 77, and 64....steadily climbing but still outside the top 50.

I'm not a big believer in stars in terms of Uconn specifically. Especially since out of their 22 NFL players this year
only 3 were 3 stars everyone else was 2 stars or unranked on this site. But it seems to tell me alot of these sites
might be sleeping on CT kids in general and Uconn or that traditional FB schools, with big paying fan bases to these
sites, get an extra star bump to keep the paying natives happy. I also know alot of the old members that left in the
mutiny with the creators of The Boneyard about 10 years ago always talked about some ongoing animosity of Uconn
because of the ways things went down between those people and Rivals. The numbers I put above seem to spell
that out, but who really knows. EDIT: I also just checked ... even though this thread was about any CT HS players
to the pros, Uconn is doing just fine out of state. Of their current 22 NFL players 16 come from outside of CT.

Another interesting fact is CT is in the top 15 states per capita at putting out NFL players in the US, but when
you read alot of the national writers CR spin they have continued to talk about a lack of talent to recruit in CT,
which this chart proves to be far from the truth. I also was surprised at some of the other per capita NFL rankings
by state per this map and the census numbers. FLA, TEX and CALI are always powerhouses by the sheer
numbers of people in their states, but I would have never guessed the top state which is:

1.Louisiana at 60.6 (thousand in state per NFL player )

Rounding out the TOP 20 are:
2. Mississippi... 80.6
3. Florida......... 87.0
4 Alabama..... 87.6
5. Georgia.........87.8
6. Hawaii...........92.8 (kind of a surprise, but they seemed to do well with PAC12 guys over the years )
7. South Carolina 94.4
8.Nebraska ........103.0
9 Texas............110.8
10. Ohio.............114.3
11. Arkansas.......122.9
12 New Jersey.....134.4
13. Virginia...........138.7
14. California.........144.9
15. Connecticut....149.5
16. Kansas...........151.8
17. Oklahoma.......158.9
18. North Carolina..174.1
19. Pennsylvania....187.7
20. Maryland .........189.8

Also 2 of the worst states in the US:
New York...............631.3
Massachusetts......553.8

It kind of points out the fact of why BC and Cuse fear Uconn advancing it's football program,
they certainly don't want Uconn keeping guys like Dwight Freeney and Tebucky Jones at home.
Hell..... my former CT HS alone put 3 defensive lineman on NFL teams in the last couple of years,
but Uconn actually brought in our next great DL as a freshman this year.

This post was edited on 8/15 9:35 AM by the Blades

Players per thousand of population is an interesting stat...but very misleading in terms of recruiting value...

For instance...Nebraska ranks ahead of Texas...but who are you going to recruit if you can only have one state...Nebraska? or Texas?

Texas supplies half of the Big 12 with recruits.

This post was edited on 8/14 1:37 PM by Roady

To me 24 NFL pro's from CT is an interesting fact and per capita is another interesting fact, take it anyway you want.
Also the Utah and Indy 2011 fact is interesting especially when you look at their pro/per capita totals overall. Maybe they
are both ready for a big push in the NFL in a couple of years, but get back to me on that.

This post was edited on 8/14 2:15 PM by the Blades

Also here is the data base to check D-1 commits. Rivals Recruit Search & Database
But maybe there is a method to this madness because the amount of pro's per commits is another interesting fact:
( 2011/12 were bad years in CT though it says 10 D-1 commits in 2011)

It seems like CT puts out a good number of pro's( elite talent vs. average talent?) especially when
you go by CT D-1 commits which looks like an average of about 15 a year from 2002-2010. Is CT under
recruited or are there just more guys under the radar ?

This post was edited on 8/14 4:39 PM by the Blades

Originally posted by Roady:

For instance...Nebraska ranks ahead of Texas...but who are you going to recruit if you can only have one state...Nebraska? or Texas?
I think I already answered that question before you asked it:

" FLA, TEX and CALI are always powerhouses by the sheer numbers of people in their states "

You got confused...

You were touting "per capita" when it comes to recruiting areas...I was pointing out that Nebraska is #8 nationally using that "per capita" and it is meaningless.

Nebraska, on that fairly meaningless measure, is ahead of Texas who put 10 times the number of athletes into the NFL.

Not confused at all and I already explained that we both know that Texas is miles ahead of most of these states
for recruiting based on the size of the state and population. You keep trying to create an argument that doesn't
exist and it's like you took offense that I posted the chart that shows both in numbers and per capita CT does well
comparatively speaking to the BCS states I mentioned above, period. So then you go on a troll based rant against
Uconn because CT is the top state at producing pro talent in New England, way ahead of NY per capita and does fairly
well compared to alot of other BCS states. Guess what... CT kids go to other schools besides Uconn.

I already knew programs in other states( like OR, KY, WV, KS, etc) some who have 2 BCS schools, recruit outside
their boundaries, they better. Sounds like the real problem is you and Uconn. When I see that about 75% of Uconn's
current pro's come from out of state they're scouting very well in that department, too. But my thread was only saying
that CT is doing a good job for a small state putting out pros no matter where they go to school. Are you upset about that?
(and CT won't take ownership of Aaron Hernandez, we already gave him up for adoption)

This post was edited on 8/22 5:24 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT