ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen Gabriel adds another huge offer

He played well last night. Any word where we stand?

It is highly unlikely we get him now. We won't offer what some of these other schools will offer. If academics is the deciding factor, he goes to puke. If it is money, he goes to Kentucky.

Learning the game of basketball may be an issue...we don't exactly embarrass ourselves in that dept.

He cut his list to Kentucky Duke Maryland providence and UCONN

Should visit us last for his OVs. The others are set besides providence and us in his OVs

Reactions: aman kidwai
With the exception of Providence, is Gabriel the backup plan for all the schools we are competing against? I get the impression the NC schools are recruiting him in the event they don't pick up the Giles kid...I assume Kentucky is targeting a bigger name guy as well. Hopefully KO can convince Gabriel being the primary choice at Connecticut is better than the 2nd option at Duke/UNC/Kentucky. By his sophomore he won't have much competition for minutes at Connecticut. He will have moderate competition his freshman year.

With the exception of Providence, is Gabriel the backup plan for all the schools we are competing against? I get the impression the NC schools are recruiting him in the event they don't pick up the Giles kid...I assume Kentucky is targeting a bigger name guy as well. Hopefully KO can convince Gabriel being the primary choice at Connecticut is better than the 2nd option at Duke/UNC/Kentucky. By his sophomore he won't have much competition for minutes at Connecticut. He will have moderate competition his freshman year.

This kid is going to be a consensus five star, top-25 player by then time everybody updates their rankings. Duke was sending their entire staff to his games a few weeks ago. He's nobody's backup plan.

And he and Giles play different positions.

Gabriel got away from NH basketball because of the lack of competition. This suggests he wants to play against the best. This probably plays well into Duke's hands. They can easily make the case the ACC competition is better than AAC competition. I'm not super optimistic. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Since the Old Big East broke up, that's the story with all top recruits UConn is involved with. But they have recruited the likes of Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert and Terry Larrier. I am sure those kids want to play against top competition too. UConn has upgraded the OOC schedule and tried to focus on selling the program, the coach and the history. I don't think Gabriel is any different than these other kids UConn has recruited. He will probably end up going where he can play the most and UConn might have an edge in that department. Depending on where everyone else ends up committing.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Someone on the other board implied that we are out with this kid. How did we so quickly go from a favorite was was involved early to OUT. It stinks of shady shenanigans. People insist that coach K and the squid don't need to cheat, but this is too dramatic of a change to explain away with, the are Kentucky. Please tell me I am wrong Ozzie but I just get the feeling that KO is at a constant disadvantage because he refuses to play the same dirty tricks.

Word I heard is that we are a distant 3rd. Heard we are putting our energy in vince

We are still recruiting a wenyen hard.... But can't put all your eggs in one basket ever.... Coaches are recruiting and I love what we are doing and who we are after and looking at!

Let's see what happens... Still have time with him

Oz, I see that you didn't comment on my assumption that KO is at a disadvantage because he doesn't play the same dirty games as Kentucky and Duke. Does that mean it is a valid assumption?

Oz, I see that you didn't comment on my assumption that KO is at a disadvantage because he doesn't play the same dirty games as Kentucky and Duke. Does that mean it is a valid assumption?

Duke plays dirty games?

Weren't we first just a couple of weeks ago? Smells fishy.

No, we weren't in first a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we were in first before his recruitment blew up (and I'm not even sure that's true) but the Duke's of the world started recruiting him very heavily in the July period.

Bro it's because I have mentioned it many times. Of course that's the case... We don't and can't play those games

Bro it's because I have mentioned it many times. Of course that's the case... We don't and can't play those games
I must have missed it. I don't spend a lot of time on this board. What I don't get is why we can't but other schools can.

No one technically can but you know other schools have deeper pockets and alumni base willing do whatever.... We can as well but it will result in the death penalty if/when caught... You know

Reactions: the Blades
No one technically can but you know other schools have deeper pockets and alumni base willing do whatever.... We can as well but it will result in the death penalty if/when caught... You know

NCAA has its eye on us....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
I know we have passionate fans but we pale in comparison to Penn. State football fans. I am shocked that one of them hasn't killed Emmert yet. Is it wrong to hope the man dies soon? I am sick of having to compete at a disadvantage. Calhoun was a great coach who was still able to win with less and KO seems like he can do the same but it is so damned frustrating to see them have to overcome such a rediculous disadvantage year after year because of a corrupt organization like the NCAA. Isn't it time for the redheaded stepchildren to band together in a class action lawsuit? The house needs cleaning.

It's starting to sound like Duke and Maryland are the schools to beat. Hopefully KO gets an in home visit and blows Wenyen away but things seem to be an uphill battle right now

Duke plays dirty games?

It has in the past on several occasions. The Maggette and Lance Thomas things. Any other schools would have gotten dinged hard for those.

Then there was something not of Duke's doing but was similar to the Nochimson thing that hit UConn. Like Nochimson, Jay Williams was a former Duke grad who kept ties to the program. In recruiting Kevin Love to sign on with his agency eventually, Williams handed Love a paper bag with $25k in bills at a dinner. While he wasn't paying the kid off to sign with Duke, he was acting as an agent (which is why I made the Nochimson comparison) and he was also a Duke alum, while Duke was heavy in the Love recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT