ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the next Huskies (2020 )

NHR- Borges Story:
regarding the next need: "UConn will likely be looking for a power forward-type to fill what is currently the final scholarship spot, and it would appear likely the Huskies will concentrate on a player who will definitely be available for next season — either a grad transfer, junior college transfer or an incoming freshman."

Last edited:
Shout out again to TCF....man you don't waste anytime..;)...

From Zags with interview:

And another from 247 with quotes:
URI transfer Tyrese Martin commits to UConn

9709121.jpg

Last edited:
He looks like a good athletic wing who can probably improve his shooting % on 3s
Sounds like something DH can fix:
James Johns, Martin’s AAU coach, added: “He’s so talented, he can handle the ball, rebounds at a high level for a guard and shoot it much better than he’s been able to show. The biggest thing is improving his assist/turnover ratio and getting his 3-point percetnage a little higher. “I think that will come with an understanding where his shots come from within the offense so he takes good shots. "

His shooting stroke looks good on tape. His shot selection Hurley can work with. He has excellent 3 and D potential.

Martin's AAU coach took what sounded like a little bit of a shot at URI Coach Dave Cox in the Register article. In discussing the need to improve Martin's 3 point shooting and assist to turnover ratio which is an upside down 0.6, he said this:

“I think that will come with understanding where he gets his shots from a little more,” said Johns. “It’s a better system at UConn than it was at URI, as far as understanding where your shot’s come from. It’s just a better fit offensively for him.”

What I take from that is that at URI he was confused as to where his shots come from?

I do see some of Pete's influence on the game of AJ. It's good to know that these kids are properly influenced by legends of the game. There are not too many guys out there who play that style of game as Pete Maravich did.

As the article said he watched the Pistol Pete movie "The Pistol: The Birth of Legend." due to mentor and family friend Clyde Clymer ....."Watching that movie opened Jackson's eyes and altered the way he plays......Once I found Pistol Pete, that's when I really figured out there's just so much more to the game. ......I just started seeing the behind the back passes. I just fell in love with it and I started finding crazy passes, watching Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all those guys " .....

So yeah there's that influence .... but I don't think Pete did things like this either..;).....I just found AJ's new SR year tape:

Last edited:
Martin seems like a stud guy to come in for 2 years. If he sits that sucks a little as we are out on possible stud incoming freshman that might have looked at us but oh well. I really hope the NCAA lets kids play right away.

Lets go get the reclass kid! or NOlley

Just looking at stats Martin feasted on the bottom of the A-10 and pre-season cupcakes

Played 6 games against NCAA caliber opponents.

Maryland: 3-9 9 points
Alabama: 5-9 11 points
LSU: 2-7 5 points
Prov: 4-11 10 points
Dayton: 3-11 15 points
Dayton: 3-12 9 points

Thats 9.8 ppg and 30% from 3
34% overall FG

Needs to focus on defense, rebounding, and improving O efficiency to be a reliable bench option

Reactions: the Blades
More on Sanogo and what type of win he is for UConn and what he could bring to the Huskies in the fall. Entirely remade frontcourt with the guards in the backcourt...might not be the most talented Huskies' teams compared to the earlier ones but is super deep and has a chance to really grow next season and beyond.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/uconn-lands-adama-sanogo-will-reclassify

As someone who's played and coached at the HS level (and been a Uconn fan pre-Calhoun) I don't think it's too much of a reach to say this could be the deepest Uconn team from #1 to #13 ever. Everyone on this roster could be a contributor now. ( except maybe JBF who could probably use a RS year as a 17 year old who needs some work on his lower base strength & body in general, from his CAN HS games I've watched)..... Dan Hurley and staff/Kimani ...they Da Man !

Last edited:
I am smelling a possible redshirt for JBF, although they may wait and see where Akok is before doing that.

As someone who's played and coached at the HS level (and been a Uconn fan pre-Calhoun) I don't think it's too much of a reach to say this could be the deepest Uconn team from #1 to #13 ever. Everyone on this roster could be a contributor now. ( except maybe JBF who could probably use a RS year as a 17 year old who needs some work on his lower base strength & body in general, from the CAN HS games I've watched)..... Dan Hurley and staff/Kimani ...they Da Man !

It looks very deep for sure. It's amazing to me how Hurley has quickly remade the entire roster and in the process has won recruiting battles. Beating SHU for Sanogo was huge. This kid looks like a beast and ready to play from day 1 and that might also be the case for Richie Springs. They have a very significant rotation of bodies up front that they haven't had in a very, very long time.

Keep in mind as well that Seton Hall successfully snagged Sanogo's high school point guard from Harvard as a grad transfer and many in NJ thought Sanogo was in the bag once that signing went down.

Regarding Carlton: he seems to be the most offensively talented (or at least offensively minded) of all of UConn's big men, but he had a really poor season in which he was a non-factor and foul prone way too much after a promising sophomore season. Whether it was due to his weight gain, or something else is hard to say, but he looked slower to me. In my opinion he is not an efficient player offensively, and, especially against bigger and better defenders, has a habit of exaggerating and prolonging his preparation for his moves, enabling his defenders time to set up and secure good defensive position and thwart his moves or make them difficult, and he also doesn't finish well through contact.

His rebounding is average at best. He struggled to fend off Christian Vital for the team rebounding lead the last 2 years, and barely did so.

The question Hurley and his assistant coaches have to answer is does Carlton give the teams better offense than the other guys do defense. And against what teams. I prefer Voskuhl-style defensive minded big men who rebound, set picks and clog the lane using good fundamentals and don't get in heavy foul trouble. Although we can't expect the young defensive minded bigs to be as careful as Voskuhl was in avoiding fouls, there are 10 fouls between them, plus another 5 from Whaley, another 5 from Carlton and maybe another 5 from Akok. That's 25 fouls to give, not including JBF who could give them 30 or redshirt. I say bring in Voskuhl to guest coach these kids on how to set picks without fouling, how to throw outlet passes to the correct people, and how to clog the lane and make it hard to get off clean drives and looks without necessarily blocking a ton of shots.

A good defense minded big defers to his talented teammates on the perimeter and is mainly looking to score on lobs when there is a double team, or garbage offensive rebounds. You don't necessarily need to have a consistent scorer at the 5 to win, if he gives you all the things I mentioned above (Voskuhl prototype).

Last edited:
Sanogo looks like a man already. Listed at 240, should be able to bulk up to 250 by the start of the season.

No more getting bullied around by the likes of Cincinnati.
Moving into the Big East this is much needed.

We are a legit 2 deep with quality at every spot and can play a variety of lineups small and big.

Guys battling back from injury can slowly ease back and will not need to play big minutes.

These are exciting times. Havent been this juiced heading into a UCONN season in 5 years.

....."Watching that movie opened Jackson's eyes and altered the way he plays......Once I found Pistol Pete, that's when I really figured out there's just so much more to the game. ......I just started seeing the behind the back passes. I just fell in love with it and I started finding crazy passes, watching Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all those guys " .....
So yeah there's that influence .... but I don't think Pete did things like this either..;).....I just found AJ's new SR year tape:
Might have to add a Clyde the Glide and Scotty Pippen influence after watching his new highlights today from SLAM:

Anyway Carlton transfers?

They have JBF and Springs (more of a 4) and now Adama......Whaley was already the starter going in without Adama and JBF. Carlton will be fighting for back up minutes. He will get them no matter what to start the season but man.....getting your butt kicked for backup minutes that will get seriously threatened day 1? Not sure the kid has that kind of fight. I HOPE he does, hell I'll take a renewed kid that WINS THE STARTING job but I just dont see it.

Regarding Carlton.
Josh was the biggest enigma... as the season went on....But to me his turning point seemed to be the first 2 AAC games on the road in which the whole team got bullied by Cincy and USF..... Josh in particular played soft as butter with (1-4 & 1-6 fg's) 4 pts and 6 rebs total in 2 games. That's when the lack of confidence and inconsistency started and his soft play going to the basket seemed to snowball.........Prior to that he was getting the job done averaging 13pts and 7.6 reb up until the Indiana game at MSG where he was Uconn's best offensive player......he also played good in Charleston with double figures and about 8 rebs pg in 3 games vs. decent comp.

As in his soph tape posted in another thread, he looked quicker and seemed to do everything a step faster when he played 20 lbs lighter....the good thing this year is Sanago seems to be ready to push him for minutes. (so I like the Mean and lean plan the staff has for Josh )

As far as starters, with Akok out, I see the line-up no different up front than last year as they won 6 of 7 down the stretch up....Josh at the 5 and Whaley at the 4 as starters. Then RJ should push Gaf at the PG with James a lock and Andre taking over CV's other spot in the 2 in and 3 out line-up.... Big difference this year will be the versatility for different opposing team match-ups and that DH's hook can come quick and often if anyone is playing soft (Josh)......

When you look at what could be a 2nd unit of Gaf, Adams, Polley (if DH doesn't start him out of respect as a SR), Springs and Sanogo ready to take off..... it makes you wonder WTF... was KO thinking with the David Onuorah's, Kwintin Williams and Antwoine Anderson's (31mpg) of the world .....and what they were doing playing Uconn basketball. ......

Not even mentioning the 2 more starters waiting in the wings (Akok, Martin). As I posted above JBF is the only project (DH has mentioned this) who needs development and now the staff can bring him along, with a RS, if needed. Everybody better come in ready to roll like they showed they could down the stretch ...because DH has plenty of options for PT and starting won't guarantee it..

PS..One other thing that is gone looking at the roster....that I bitched about constantly 2-3 years ago....
NO MORE SMALL BALL for UCONN BASKETBALL

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
In the end I think that all those guys will get minutes. I think the minutes total will be the big thing over what position so here are my minutes leaders from most to least per game so to adjust for when Polly and Akok come back to play.

Bouk
RJ
Gaff
Whaley
Polly
Akok
Martin (if he plays at all this year)
Adams
Jackson
Adama
Carlton
Springs
JBF

the lineup that I most want to see in action is:

RJ
Bouk
Martin
Jackson
Whaley

Small but I bet that ball never hits the floor. If Martin doesnt get to play this year give me this one:

RJ
Bouk
Jackson
Akok
Whaley

In the end I think that all those guys will get minutes. I think the minutes total will be the big thing over what position so here are my minutes leaders from most to least per game so to adjust for when Polly and Akok come back to play.
True..... and with minutes it's more about opponents and that DH can match up how he wants vs. teams, especially those with bigger line-ups which can dictate PT/ positions. Gone are the days from 2 years ago where he had Jalen at 6-3 and CV at 6-2 being forced to guard 6-7 or 6-8 small forwards vs. Power 6 teams. ........ because of the undersized roster of guys that were actually playable.... left by KO......

Plus you even left out Sanogo above........ talk about a deep team getting deeper ....:D... if Martin gets a waiver (??? NCAA now against one-time transfer waiver ) and if Akok does come back healthy & earlier than expected. Now all we need is a healthy planet and a basketball season to start on time...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
BTW....247 Sports just came out with new 2020 rankings today....they list Uconn as #1 in the AAC and a top 20 ( that's 2 years in a row for DH and Co.). Actually Uconn and Marquette are neck and neck in the BE with Xavier also making the Top 20.....

2020 Basketball Team Rankings - 247Sports.com

Last edited:
Specifically......now that 247 has Sanogo as a 2020, both him and AJ are in the top 55.....Javonte Brown-Ferguson not so much at # 162

ESPN's 2020 player rankings ... has Andre at #32 and added Sanogo at #55 for 2020 (he was #28 as a 2021)

Last edited:
As in his soph tape posted in another thread, he looked quicker and seemed to do everything a step faster when he played 20 lbs lighter....the good thing this year is Sanago seems to be ready to push him for minutes. (so I like the Mean and lean plan the staff has for Josh )

As far as starters, with Akok out, I see the line-up no different up front than last year as they won 6 of 7 down the stretch up....Josh at the 5 and Whaley at the 4 as starters. Then RJ should push Gaf at the PG with James a lock and Andre taking over CV's other spot in the 2 in and 3 out line-up.... Big difference this year will be the versatility for different opposing team match-ups and that DH's hook can come quick and often if anyone is playing soft (Josh)......

Looks like Josh already lost that 20lbs:

EZTP_ICXsAElyom

Last edited:
Good for Josh I guess? He got bigger to get better so lets all remember that Josh needed to get a whole lot better.....because he wasnt good.

I hope he blossoms next year to our teams best player..........would be a great story and all of us win.

The good news is that it is not all on Josh to be great or even "a whole lot better" because UConn will have a fleet of big men behind him- an armada, if you will. If Josh isn't significantly better there will be 5 guys banging on the door for a chunk of minutes behind him, starting with Sanogo. Let the best players win the minutes battle, but the even better news is they will probably all play. And it will make UConn a better team and better able to maintain top defensive intensity for 40 minutes because of fouls being spread out. With the added depth UConn will be fresher late in games and have the ability to pull away late rather than constantly fighting down to the wire like last year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT