ADVERTISEMENT

WBB lands #1 ranked player/ 2020 commits

It’s going to open UConn up to a potentially big 2020 class, so it will be interesting to see what Geno does with scholies for next season. UConn clearly needs 2 more frontcourt players to join the incoming recruit, one of whom can also play the 5 behind Nelson Ododa. I am not including Camara because it’s not clear if her knees will hold up. She seems to be the women’s answer to Mamadou Diarra. In both cases UConn may have signed damaged goods. The guard depth is Coombs and not really sure how much the staff thinks of Molly Bent. She hasn’t really played a single meaningful minute in a big game. She is an end of the bench player as is Irwin but both graduate after next season.

Good news! Throwing dirt on our grave may have been premature.

We could use a grad transfer starting at PF and a guard off the bench this offseason. Molly can shoot it and will defend, I just don’t trust her with the ball in her hands. Not a great trait for a PG. Coombs will play a lot, but is limited offensively.

And hopefully we land the best available Frosh from Europe in this class.

Dom, I’d love it if we could get Horston. Elite playmaker with size.

If a miracle happened and we landed her and she could play right away, you could go small with her and Crystal, CWill in the backcourt and Ono and Meg upfront. Although, Ono would have to turn into Okafor right away, or we’d be pretty poor on the boards/defensively.

" A year after only grabbing one commitment, UConn women’s basketball has received a verbal commitment from Paige Bueckers, the No. 1 player in the class of 2020 and widely considered one of the top prospects out of high school in a handful of years. "

Croatian kid had a quadruple double in the U17 tourney......

These are nice pick ups but DONT ADDRESS THE ISSUE of lack of size. Bueckers better be Stewie 2.0 or its all for naught.

Muhl is an outstanding addition, a stat sheet stuffer who is multifaceted. Wish she was eligible for next season because I am not thrilled with the backcourt depth, and a big is still needed. UConn is living very dangerously with this kind of depth, one injury could be a season game changer. UConn has been fairly lucky the last few seasons as no core players had season ending injuries, like Ralph and Abrosomova in 2001 which cost UConn that year’s championship and a possible 5 straight NCAA titles from 2000-2004. Of course Camara appears to have been damaged goods from Day 1, which has hurt the frontcourt depth, but rosters need to be constructed with these possibilities in mind.

Baylor grabbed a grad transfer and she was the final 4 mvp and scored their last two huge buckets.

Stop being so stubborn paisan and do what you need to do to make the team better.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
The Baylor grad transfer (Chloe Jackson) was money in the final game. Jackson hit the game winning layup speeding past the outstretched arms of ND’s shotblocker Taylor. But Baylor left too much time on the clock and ND had a chance to win or tie. Ogunbowale was fouled and missed her 1st FT and then surprisingly made the second. Baylor inbounded and it was ballgame.

Baylor took a chance on Jackson though because she was not a point guard and had to learn that position and how to be a distributor. She ended up being a high quality scoring point guard, her main assets being her speed and her smooth mid range jumpers.

Muhl is an outstanding addition, a stat sheet stuffer who is multifaceted. Wish she was eligible for next season because I am not thrilled with the backcourt depth, and a big is still needed. UConn is living very dangerously with this kind of depth, one injury could be a season game changer. UConn has been fairly lucky the last few seasons as no core players had season ending injuries, like Ralph and Abrosomova in 2001 which cost UConn that year’s championship and a possible 5 straight NCAA titles from 2000-2004. Of course Camara appears to have been damaged goods from Day 1, which has hurt the frontcourt depth, but rosters need to be constructed with these possibilities in mind.
That's one thing I could never get about Geno despite the reasons he says publicly. Geno you have 6...count them..... scholarships left for next year...if your not gonna use em' ...as always... can you loan a couple to DH.... I'm sure he won't let em go to waste.....;)

wbb-scholly-grid-3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
I expect 50ppg from Williams, Danger and Walker next year. Ono hopefully chips in 12/13. They’ll need another 20 from the 5th starter and the bench. And another legitimate rebounder.

Too bad Natalie Butler couldn’t have saved that year for now.

There are bigs out better than Butler who loom as grad transfers. There is also Jordan Horston who can’t be contacted for 30 days. There is also the possibility of another foreign player. Lots of options are still in play.

Horston and a physical grad PF would be just what the doctor ordered, Khalid.

Yeap.....clearly we need 2-3 players added to this team and even then it will be a tough year. I think Ododa will have a break out year and it COULD be epic leading us to a final four and possibly more. She has the talent and I think Geno embraces it.....I HOPE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT