ADVERTISEMENT

vs. Providence -SAT

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
vs. Providence- SAT DEC 18 - @ the XL CENTER- 5PM- TV: FOX
Last check there were less than 50 tix left for the first Big East match-up with fans in 2 seasons.

by the numbers (click image )

BE-7-Providence-Hoops-2021-22.jpg

Last edited:
This is not going to be an easy game. PC beat UConn last year in a vacant Gampel 70-59. UConn was completely disjointed that game and watching them caused me to have to take some Pepto Bismol that night. I think Cooley has the antidote for UConn's offense. Or so it seemed. Anyway PC is 10-1 and has several good wins including at Wisconsin in the BE-B10 challenge. Noah Horchler has been owning the boards and Nate Watson is a very good, experienced, big, powerful 5 who can more than hold his own against Sanogo, if Sanogo even plays. I think UConn may have some depth over PC. If Martin and Sanogo are back. Anyway this game is a really good test to see where this team is as far as being able to take care of business at home against a very good team, likely NCAA tourney team.

This is not going to be an easy game. PC beat UConn last year in a vacant Gampel 70-59. (@ PC)
Wrong....Uconn BEAT Providence at Gampel last year and it was never really close in the 2nd half as the Huskies were up by as many as 18 points as they shut down BE 1st teamer David Duke to just 3-16 FG's:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooper_Scooper
They lost at PC 70-59- it was an empty gym. I thought it was the game at Storrs they lost but in any event they did lose to PC 70-59 and that game was a HORRIBLE performance. I remember that game because I was sick afterwards. And taking PB. I got sick from food but the game made me sicker. The win came 6 days later in the second game, which I don't remember as well. Not sure but may have been the lowest points they had in a regular season game last year.

Bouk had 18 points in the game they won. In the loss, no Bouk, 40% FGs, 4-20 on 3s, outrebounded by 5. In the win UConn outrebounded PC by 10, shot 47%, 5-12 on 3s while holding PC to 36% FGs.

Last edited:
They lost at PC 70-59- it was an empty gym. I thought it was the game at Storrs they lost but in any event they did lose to PC 70-59 and that game was a HORRIBLE performance. I remember that game because I was sick afterwards. And taking PB. I got sick from food but the game made me sicker. The win came 6 days later in the second game, which I don't remember as well. Not sure but may have been the lowest points they had in a regular season game last year.

Bouk had 18 points in the game they won. In the loss, no Bouk, 40% FGs, 4-20 on 3s, outrebounded by 5. In the win UConn outrebounded PC by 10, shot 47%, 5-12 on 3s while holding PC to 36% FGs.
Well I had to look when you mentioned it, because I was pretty certain about the game at Gampel..... I remember Uconn taking Providence completely out of it, as well as their 2 best players Duke and Watson. Kinda like they did at Gampel to G-town. Also like you said the game they lost was without Bouk. And AJ started the return match win @ Gampel ( I think he had that end to end dunk in traffic) with Bouk just coming back from injury with pts. off the bench.

Regardless of what happened last year, PC is 10-1 this year, has size and experience, and has already beaten one Tier 1 team on the road (Wisconsin). They appear to me to be a dangerous, solid Big East opponent that is likely to finish in the upper half of the Big East and get an NCAA tourney bid. Certainly it will be a huge disappointment for their fans if that doesn't happen. And teams like this are hunting resume building wins, they already have one and UConn would be another.

Oddly their one loss was to a substandard Virginia team, 58-40, suggesting the Virginia defense really stymied them. I would certainly look closely at that game tape to see why the PAC line defense was so effective against PC.

Also this would be a Quad 1 win for PC (#39), a Quad 2 for Uconn (# 14)

Screen-Shot-2018-02-28-at-10.01.13-AM.png

Last edited:
I brought it up because that first game against PC was the worst UConn looked all of last year. I believe it was their lowest point total of the regular season last year. While the loss was avenged, it's a team that beat UConn convincingly and knows how it did it.

I brought it up because that first game against PC was the worst UConn looked all of last year. I believe it was their lowest point total of the year
Yeah, but without it's best player and scorer last year ( Bouk) big difference. This Uconn team plays completly different without Bouk as their go to guy.

Their sharp shooter makes shots. our sharp shooter doesn’t.

We need Martin to take the ball to the basket. And somehow Jackson has to be able to score in the half court.

Cooley has antidote to UConn offense. He is to UConn what Lex Luther is to Superman. He knows the weaknesses to exploit.

Missed Fts trying to come back is no Bueno.
shoukd be a 2PT game.

And polley
laying an egg.

UConn is not a good 3 point shooting team. Polley and Hawkins had open 3s that had to be made. In games like this you have to make open 3s

31% FGs at home is NOT winning basketball. Poor shooting/poor offense is why UConn lost this game.

Last edited:
Watching this game, for me, was like watching Lex Luthor give Superman the Kyptonite all over again as in this scene, and it's even more painful because I previously said Cooley was UConn's Lex Luthor:

31% FGs at home is NOT winning basketball
True, and playing hot potato hand off, 30 feet from the hoop, (while the shot clock runs down to 5 secs) is not winning BB. Or jacking up desperation/ contested 3's because they ran their own clock out ? It took DH 3/4 of the game to finally convince them to attack pressure and the rim. Didn't he learn anything by attacking vs. the Bonnies( 74 points) vs. the same shit show offense he was running near halfcourt vs. WVU ? (53 points)

( COOLEY didn't have that problem though, he had his guys get to the paint over and over. )

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT