ADVERTISEMENT

VCU- Friday - 1:30pm - TV: ESPN2

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Looks like another grind for Uconn vs. a defensive-minded team. VCU (3-3) tough to figure with a road win by allowing Vandy (4-1) only 37 points on their home court. But lost to Wagner and Chattanooga (both undefeated ) at home, before beating Cuse. Baylor yesterday was the 1 st time they gave up over 58 points. But VCU only averages 55 pts theirself . Good height across the board with big guards.

VCU Numbers- (click image)

7-VCU.jpg

Last edited:
Two things already Uconn....Beat pressure and stop picking up the ball 25 feet away from the hoop...and other guys...... go to the ball and create a passing lane if they trap !!!

Two things already Uconn....Beat pressure and stop picking up the ball 25 feet away from the hoop...and other guys...... go to the ball and create a passing lane if they trap !!!
STILL these guys have no clue on offense, picking up the dribble near half court, or dribbling away with their backs to the hoop....the guys without the ball literally standing in the corners waiting for a pass by a guy being doubled.... BB 101 ..run you offense towards the HOOP!!!!

AJ can you make a simple pass that connects to somebody ????? Your not pistol pete !!!!

And he also was displaying a high dribble in traffic which is easy to poke away and was poked away. AJ has a lot of rough edges in his game still that need to be smoothed out.

However UConn is down only 2 after a truly awful half, in which they couldn't play any worse against an admittedly excellent defense that has really uglied up the game. I don't think they can be as horrible second half.

And he also was displaying a high dribble in traffic which is easy to poke away and was poked away. AJ has a lot of rough edges in his game still that need to be smoothed out. Great athlete very lacking in BB skills..... notice how he shoots off the wrong foot going to the rim on a mid range ? Terrible ...

However UConn is down only 2 after a truly awful half, in which they couldn't play any worse against an admittedly excellent defense that has really uglied up the game. I don't think they can be as horrible second half.
They have to have the ball handler beat his man toward the hoop and get the D backing up.. To keep running these dumb ass screens and pass it off to the next guy running towards half court (especially a big) is playing right into the pressure and double teams.....Not complicated.... the only way you beat pressure is with pressure and ball movement.... get VCU running around until and out of position... it doesn't mean the guy going to the hoop has to jack up some offense balance BS....but move the D to find the open man !!!!

Last edited:
How does the team who pressing and hacking all over the court, VCU, have only 3 fouls ???
While they're in the bonus because uconn has 7 ???

AGAIN...Cole double teamed....Sanogo running away from him not even looking while he's trapped at Halfcourt !!!! Nobody coming for the ball !!!.............DUMB as a sack of rocks on offense !!!!!

AND SANOGO PASS THE F$%KING BALL OUT OF A TRIPLE TEAM !!!

Last edited:
UConn is lucky to be in OT with this game- brutal to watch. I think VCU is the best defensive team UConn has faced this year. UConn isn't handling their D.

AGAIN...Cole double teamed....Sanogo running away from him not even looking while he's trapped at Halfcourt !!!! Nobody coming for the ball !!!.............DUMB as a sack of rocks on offense !!!!!
Again 1st play in OT >>NO F***ING CLUE ...TO COME FOR THE BALL !!!!~

Last edited:
Blades just remember this is not the sports of ice skating or gymnastics, where poor form and execution results in demerits and deductions from the score. Basketball is a win or lose sport and you can make tons of mistakes and win. You need to JUST WIN BABY and that is what UConn did. You take the win, move on and BURN THE TAPE ON THIS GAME.

The coaches do need to fix these mistakes though.....dribbling away from the basket and leaving trapped teammates alone on an island NOT ACCEPTABLE

Last edited:
Blades just remember this is not the sports of ice skating or gymnastics, where poor form and execution results in demerits and deductions from the score. Basketball is a win or lose sport and you can make tons of mistakes and win. You need to JUST WIN BABY and that is what UConn did. You take the win, move on and BURN THE TAPE ON THIS GAME.
KSTW ...these remarks are called an in game thread..get a clue ....would rather have me leave to the chat on TOS....so you can talk to the air ? ;) AND NO F#@KING SHEET THEY won, like I said TAKE THE POINTS !

Was it me ? but loved how these cheating , VCU betting ZEBRA's did everything they could to make sure they covered ! AJ mystery foul on the drive... 2 blatant travels they refused to call, VCU hacking the sh#T out of Uconn going for steals NOTHING called ...

See my last sentence above I think you overlooked it
I hear ya, but see that's the difference between me and alot of fans, I view the game as a coach.... not a fan and lose my mind in the action like a coach would... that's why I knew KO was crap, no clue in game, while I watched him 10 rows away @ Gampel. DH is just the opposite, every time I look to the bench he's seeing alot of the same stuff and going balistic ( Just like JC, the HOF'er)

UConn shot 33% on FGs, 29.% from 3, and committed 21 turnovers, BUT outrebounded VCU 52-36 and shot 82% on FTs- second time over 80% on FTs this tournament. RJ was Cole Blooded with 26 points and 9-10 FTs

DH is just the opposite, every time I look to the bench he's seeing alot of the same stuff and going balistic ( Just like JC, the HOF'er)
DH needs to not just go ballistic but fix in practice the dribbling away from the basket, the poor help for trapped teammates left alone on an island and having to either call timeouts or commit turnovers, Sanogo not passing out of triple teams (except at the end when he passed to wide open Whaley for a wide open 3, but even that pass looked weak and surprised it was not poked or stolen), and AJ/Martin passing needs to be fixed.

DH needs to not just go ballistic but fix in practice the dribbling away from the basket, the poor help for trapped teammates left alone on an island and having to either call timeouts or commit turnovers, Sanogo not passing out of triple teams (except at the end when he passed to wide open Whaley for a wide open 3, but even that pass looked weak and surprised it was not poked or stolen), and AJ/Martin passing needs to be fixed.
I'm not talking about running the offense, that's a whole other book I can write. But simply I've watched them work on it before scrimmages and try to keep running screens and quick passes over and over....but it's like they get mesmerized and they forget to catch look to beat their man / look for a shot/ push the D back off the dribble to draw and kick.... and instead they just keep cycling it.

Makes it pretty easy for the D then as Uconn's run out their own clock..... they got a little more downhill in the second half, which helped, but still made some bad plays because of tunnel vision/ low IQ. But these guys seem so spooked at times in tight games and guys who shouldn't even be touching the ball it gets cycled to in the wrong places at the wrong times or they pick up their dribble and get trapped which is Cardinal sin 101. .....so your right that's why DH runs practices, to fix this stuff.

Yeah they both scare me with the ball , Martin should never touch it unless he's driving to the hoop/ catch and shoot or crashing the boards...AJ your not in HS anymore where you get away with that weak crap.... I swear on that end of regulation back and forth inbonds plays (1.4 Secs ) I was waiting for TM to either pass it right to the defender or throw it in the stands. SMH ! and he almost did !

Last edited:
UConn shot 33% on FGs, 29.% from 3, and committed 21 turnovers, BUT outrebounded VCU 52-36 and shot 82% on FTs- second time over 80% on FTs this tournament. RJ was Cole Blooded with 26 points and 9-10 FTs
Co-Game ball to RJ and Whaley.... high mention to AJ for killing it on the boards.

UCONN crushing VCU on the boards is the primary reason they won this game, and ii's the reason they will stay in games this year even when their shooting sucks moose balls.

DH mentioned in the presser Ian posted in the other thread that UConn did not handle pressure well in this tournament and it's because they don't have great ball-handling guards (a la Khalid El Amin who could dribble through teams and made UConn press-proof). He also mentioned they did some "incredibly bizarre things with the ball" (I assume he was referring to Cole and Gaffney back dribbles and dribbling away from the hoop). I think he saw what we all saw and even Jimmy Dykes and Karl Ravech mentioned during the game.

As far as AJ, the value he is bringing to the team is defense and rebounding and that's why he is starting. His offensive game against better competition is a work in progress. He does not really have a reliable scoring move or shot. He and Martin are beasts on the boards and they just need to work on their passing fundamentals a bit.

BTW Jimmy Dykes is a great listen. I have always liked him, he has that certain southern charm that is endearing. When he started singing "the bad shot bone is connected to the bad transition defense bone", it was hysterical.. His singing voice is not bad. He should sing a duet of that song with Jimmy Buffet ........LOL

The development of Hawkins is going to be critical to how long of a run we make.

as well as Rasool. So we have another option to help break pressure.

The next 2 games against Maryland Eastern Shore Tuesday and Grambling Saturday are the final 2 low major/cupcake games, and as such, they will be crucial for the development of Hawkins and possibly Diggins and Johnson. I noticed that VCU went deeper with their bench than UConn did today (9 VCU players had 14 plus minutes). DH has to develop the other guys as much as possible. Between Diggins, Johnson and Springs, someone has to step up as a rotation player. A 10 man rotation would be ideal.

I note Akok only played 4 minutes today. I wonder whether they wanted to take it easy on him with the 3rd game in 3 days? Akok kind of had a weak showing in this tournament, and they need to get him in a better stage of development too.

By the way Arizona State is about to lose its third game in 3 days at Atlantis and if so, UConn will have had the better Hurley in this tournament. UConn was 2-1 and played as tough a draw as anyone did in the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT