ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Rivals 150, Class of 2016

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-3375/2016

Unfortunately our newest commit Juwan Durham dropped a couple of spots to 31, but he hasn't been playing due to a major injury so that's not a huge deal.

Alterique Gilbert stayed the same at 37.

High priority target Wenyen Gabriel moves all the way up to 17, which is incredible.

Mamadou Diarra breaks in at 144

Other targets:

Mario Kegler, 29
Vance Jackson, 77
Myles Powell, 101
Gorjok Gak unlisted

I would think that the signing of Durham will impact on the recruitment of Gabriel. They are similar and play the same position. If Larrier is the 3 and Durham the stretch 4, where is the playing time for Gabriel? Gabriel wants to be shown some love - and some playing time.

Reactions: the Blades
I would think that the signing of Durham will impact on the recruitment of Gabriel. They are similar and play the same position. If Larrier is the 3 and Durham the stretch 4, where is the playing time for Gabriel? Gabriel wants to be shown some love - and some playing time.

I was thinking the same thing, I think it's Durham and move on for a SG or swing man ( Diallo if he reclassifies) and/ or a 7 foot power big if there are any out there that fit the bill. Call me crazy but just watching tape I think Durham...pre- injury.... shows much more fluidity and up side than Gabriel who seems kind of robotic with his moves. And hey... I'm not telling KO how to do his job... but If Gabriel is all about UK, Duke and the Johnny come lately bunch, I'm good with that !

Last edited:
Agreed, let Gabriel go if he thinks Duke or Kentucky is the place to be. Diallo, the shorter shooter, the mystery 7'er...those are our guys. The others will regret not getting on board.

If Brimah ends up being a 4 year guy, I don't think a 5 is a crucial get, as Enoch can play there. It would be nice to get a Chuck Okwandu type guy who can block some shots, grab some boards and play some dirty minutes off the bench. Ollie is recruiting a lot of higher end type guys, but the history of UConn at the 5 position is to recruit bangers who run the court, rebound, block shots, rim-protect and throw good outlet passes, like Rod Sellers, Jake Voskuhl, Chuck. I still talk to a lot of people who don't like when I mention Voskuhl (they think offense only), but if you want my honest opinion, he was the best fundamental defender UConn ever had at the 5 position and I would hire him as big man coach, so long as you are continuing to recruit those kinds of defense-oriented 5 men. Brimah could learn from Voskul. Voskuhl laughed all the way to his bank deposit line at all of those who ridiculed him during his 10 year successful NBA journeyman defensive center career.

Reactions: northdakotahusky
I also kinda agree about the upside of Durham. He's tall and looks very nimble with decent shooting ability. In general he looks like a basketball player. Bazz and that guy would cause lots of problems
If Brimah ends up being a 4 year guy, I don't think a 5 is a crucial get, as Enoch can play there. It would be nice to get a Chuck Okwandu type guy who can block some shots, grab some boards and play some dirty minutes off the bench. Ollie is recruiting a lot of higher end type guys, but the history of UConn at the 5 position is to recruit bangers who run the court, rebound, block shots, rim-protect and throw good outlet passes, like Rod Sellers, Jake Voskuhl, Chuck. I still talk to a lot of people who don't like when I mention Voskuhl (they think offense only), but if you want my honest opinion, he was the best fundamental defender UConn ever had at the 5 position and I would hire him as big man coach, so long as you are continuing to recruit those kinds of defense-oriented 5 men. Brimah could learn from Voskul. Voskuhl laughed all the way to his bank deposit line at all of those who ridiculed him during his 10 year successful NBA journeyman defensive center career.

Just thinking about your comments on Chuck. He may have had the best NCAA a tournament a Husky ever had. He really became a force in the 2011 tournament. Relative to who he was before the end of the 2011 there's not many who picked up their games more than Chuck. Oriakhi was good, but at times I felt Chuck played better. They both big-boyed Kentucky.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Recruiting looks to be in good good shape.......... I like this last guy a lot and the whole class right now. Very nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT