ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women Finish Regular Season 28-2, 16-0 AAC

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
It's kind of hard to look at a team that is 28-2 and say they had an up and down year, but that is the only way one could describe the UConn women this year.

They look like they are a #1 seed and one of up to 6 teams that can win the NCAA championship, but if they make the Final 4, they are likely to be underdogs in both possible Final 4 games. They lack size and depth, and they are not as good defensively as they were last year or the year before. But they arguably have the best offensive team in the country when Samuelson is healthy and they are firing on all cylinders.

Last night Samuelson did not play, and the team was not firing on all cylinders. Collier was triple teamed and rendered ineffective, and the rest of the team looked lost. In the second half, however, UConn picked up the intensity on defense and caused turnovers on 9 of USF's 1st 11 second half possessions. USF recovered a bit after that, but down the stretch UConn made some winning plays and eventually won the game by 10.

The game started off with an interesting quid pro quo scoring arrangement on USF's senior night. UConn allowed an uncontested layup to USF senior Laura Feirreira, who started after having missed the last 11 games with heart palpitations and must have an implant in the near future. She was quickly removed from the game after scoring the hoop, her basketball career very likely over. It was then time to allow UConn an uncontested bucket in response. Initially USF looked like they would defend and it appeared to me that the coaches yelled at them and eventually Crystal Dangerfield scored an uncontested, undefended layup to make the game 2-2, and from there the real game started.

I never saw a quid pro quo scoring arrangement in the men's game, although I have seen UConn do this now several times with Geno as coach. There are precedents, however, for tribute shots and great examples of sportsmanship in the men's game. I think one of the greatest moment in the history of NCAA men's basketball tournament came in 1990, when Bo Kimble of Loyola Marymount shot a left handed FT in honor of his teammate, the great Hank Gaithers, who had died of a heart attack on court weeks earlier. Not only did Kimble make the FT, but he stroked it - nothing but net, a moment that stands out in my mind as one of the greatest moments ever in the NCAA tournament:

This is a wise decision. UConn, it’s horrible performance at USF aside, absolutely doesn’t and shouldn’t need Katie Lou to win an AAC tournament being played in the State of Connecticut. Let the younger players get some tourney experience. Collier will be double and triple teamed and the others will need to step up. And they will step up.

At this time, we have to assume UConn, if they beat ECU, will get Houston in the semis and UCF or Cincy in the finals. Of all these teams, the squad that concerns me the most is UCF. They have an extremely physical, chippy style of play, and play excellent defense like the UCF men. They managed to take Samuelson totally out of her game both physically and mentally. One worries a little bit how some of the younger players, thrust into more prominent roles against a goonish team, will be able to handle the physical and chippy play. It’s fortunate that the tournament is at Mohegan Sun and the fans will be there to back the team. I am predicting a UConn-UCF final. Go Lady Huskies!

Big steps by the UConn freshmen today: Nelson Ododa 17 rebounds and 5 blocks, Williams 16 points and 6 assists, which nicely complimented Collier’s 37 points. Scoring 92 points after the way their offense looked last game is not bad! I will take it. Just win baby!

Last edited:
USF has stunned Houston in the quarterfinals and they will face UConn in the semifinals tomorrow afternoon. USF will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days, after losing to UConn in an ugly game in Tampa earlier this week.

Hoping CWilliams fourth quarter yesterday was a spring board to a strong finish to the year.

Walker has been frustrating. Her line drive shot is either on or really off. And she misses way too many bunnies and commits sloppy turnovers, especially from a former player of the year.

Ono’ 17 rebounds and shot changing adds a much needed dimension to the team. Now I’d like to see 4/5 nice baskets today. Because they are going to mob/mug Pheesea.

Canolee, yesterday Walker had 14 points and 10 boards and was 7-13 on her 2 point shots, which is really a solid game as far as the bottom line. I agree that she does have a tendency to get loose with the ball, with resultant sloppy TOs, and with her body she should finish a bit stronger than she does. She has had a kind of up and down season, but her performance in this tourney bears watching because she is among the players needed to step up.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Totally agree, KSTW. She appears more confident, just need her(MW) to be more consistent.

Very good game by the girls today, led by 24 points from Walker and 23 from Collier. Surprisingly they only had 12 assists, which was odd because I thought the ball movement looked good.

Nelson-Ododa gives the team a whole different dynamic starting. She is an exceptional shot blocker and rebounder, and her offense looks like it has high end potential, especially if she can work with Sal Alosi and get stronger. She needs to eat some proteins. But she seems to have the beginnings of some very solid looking post moves and understands how to play.

I have noticed that Williams has been passing up 3s in favor of finding creases in the defense for mid range jumpers. She has an excellent mid range jumper that looks smooth. She and Walker did very well today. These girls are normally options 4 and 5 on offense. When option number 4 scores 24 points on 9/14 FGs and 4-7 on 3s with 7 boards, and has 38 points and 17 boards in 2 games while shooting over 50% on FGs, I would say it's pretty good production.

As expected, it will be UConn-UCF in the finals. These were the 2 best teams in the AAC this year.

UCF is 26-5, and they play a physical, chippy, defense oriented style. Their best player is Kay Kay Wright. They finished both of their tournament games with strong 4th quarters and got 29 points from their bench today. They are a concerning team to have to play the 3rd game in 3 days against. Fortunately UConn was able to rest the starters a bit today. UConn must win this game to preserve #1 seeding in Albany, which they will get with a win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT