ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-West Virginia

What was our record vs huggins? We easily beat his predecessors. Beating huggins was not as trivial. I thought huggins did well in some of the most competitive years of the big east.

This post was edited on 11/23 4:14 PM by northdakotahusky

He bounced around quite a bit during his connection to the BE and all the realignment . Came in from C-USA with Cincy,
left and was out to K-State for a few years than was hired back to the BE by the school he played for WVU. Then WVU
was gone to the B-12 and his time in the BE was over again, I'm guessing he coached in the BE about 4-5 years.

This post was edited on 11/23 6:26 PM by the Blades

Huggins is a very good coach. He has done more with less in my opinion. He has taken a chance with some dicey players and generally he has put a very competitive team on the floor and they have given UConn some very good games.

Watching the BC/Dayton game. They mentioned Huggins has 744 wins. That's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Dayton is winning, but barely. They look like they are going to fall apart like they did against us.

I just hope we battle down the stretch. If we can play with this rugged team, we can play with anyone. A

In the second half, show some toughness and composure. We weren't going 40-0 this year. Just get better.

11 TO's at half, ( D-Ham with 6 gifts to WVU) Purvis can't make a shot (0-5)or has to try a off balance dunk instead of a simple lay-up to start the game, then forces a terrible shot and miss with less than 30 sec's to end the half and give WVU the last shot...BASKETBALL IQ !!!......guys running away from the inbound pass with pressure instead of to the ball....Maybe this debacle will teach these guys the game....yep they need this match-up....

This is exactly what this team needed, I was just hoping it wasnt tonight. We have been barely getting by against average teams. WVU is very well coached and they are all athletes. Ollie needs an F for the first half as well as he never told his guys to dribble through the press which worked EVERY TIME, they cant keep up without fouling ESPECIALLY with these pathetic refs.

I love this game, we are getting punched in the mouth by bigger guys who just want it more. Facey, Brimah, Samuel, Purvis are just not polished enough for this team to be all that good until all four of those get better FAST. Hamilton has been horrible but I can forgive him a little.

Maybe Calhoun can be a spark for us when and if he comes back............

Again, this is a great thing to happen, gives THEM a chance to see just how hard they weren't playing and just how sloppy they were playing.

The easy baskets missed is upseting. Boat need a breather. And they should let Hamilton bring it up. When he's not making a stupid pass he makes a great one

Originally posted by mcgoo369:
These refs are terrible. Can't even keep track of ft
They let WVU's physical play go right from the start, so if your Uconn you have to adjust. Though that
white haired ref looked way to agreeable with Huggy Bear and he did seem to have a tilted whistle
toward WVU....but it is what is is...The bigger problem seemed to be Uconn playing with 7 and a half
guys ( did Purvis play ?) and looked worn down...

You can't have 19 TO's and get the ball stolen 11 times, it gives up to many easy points you can
never get back. Plus add the FT thing (only 50%) and it's over...you just tip your hat to WVU and move on....

Originally posted by the Blades:
He bounced around quite a bit during his connection to the BE and all the realignment . Came in from C-USA with Cincy,
left and was out to K-State for a few years than was hired back to the BE by the school he played for WVU. Then WVU
was gone to the B-12 and his time in the BE was over again, I'm guessing he coached in the BE about 4-5 years.

He didn't bounce around much at all.

He coached Cincinnati from 1989-2005. After Cincinnati's first year in the Big East, Huggins was basically fired, much to the dismay of Cincinnati fans. The new Cincinnati president, Nancy L. Zimpher, said Huggins didn't fit with her plan to upgrade UC's academic reputation. She was also fuming over his DUI. She finally gave him an ultimatum. Resign or be fired. He resigned.

Kansas State wasted no time offering him its coaching vacancy in 2006. Just one year later, WVU's head coaching position opened up and Huggins came home. He will retire as WVU's head coach.

Originally posted by 30CAT:

He didn't bounce around much at all. ( I could have used another word but you get my point )

He coached Cincinnati from 1989-2005. After Cincinnati's first year in the Big East, Huggins was basically fired, much to the dismay of Cincinnati fans. The new Cincinnati president, Nancy L. Zimpher, said Huggins didn't fit with her plan to upgrade UC's academic reputation. She was also fuming over his DUI. She finally gave him an ultimatum. Resign or be fired. He resigned.

Kansas State wasted no time offering him its coaching vacancy in 2006. Just one year later, WVU's head coaching position opened up and Huggins came home. He will retire as WVU's head coach.
Correct..... just meant we never got to see him coaching for very long in the BE, which the poster before me
had asked about .....because he had 3 situations where he was in and out of the conference. I've been watching
him coach since his Nick Van Exel teams....and he even played Uconn in the NCAA's out of the old Great
Midwest Conference but he didn't have a strait run of years in the old Big East for a bunch of reasons.

This post was edited on 11/24 8:04 AM by the Blades

9 assists and 19 turnovers. UConn has consistently racked up bad A-T ratios this year. The point guard play needs to improve. Only 3 players recorded assists yesterday. So the team is clearly not a cohesive unit yet, They have to execute better. Texas is coming to Storrs Sunday so they have to regroup quickly. Rebounders will be needed and effective ballhandling and passing will be needed.

He didn't bounce around much at all. ( I could have used another word but you get my point )

Correct..... just meant we never got to see him coaching for very long in the BE, which the poster before me
had asked about .....because he had 3 situations where he was in and out of the conference. I've been watching
him coach since his Nick Van Exel teams....and he even played Uconn in the NCAA's out of the old Great
Midwest Conference but he didn't have a strait run of years in the old Big East for a bunch of reasons.

This post was edited on 11/24 8:04 AM by the Blades
FYI - Huggins never coached a game for UC in The Big East. Cincy joined the Big East officially on July 1, 2005 and Huggins resigned in August 2005.

Originally posted by The Big Skipbowski:

FYI - Huggins never coached a game for UC in The Big East. Cincy joined the Big East officially on July 1, 2005 and Huggins resigned in August 2005.
Good call, I didn't want to bring up the Cincy drama and look it up, but I remember there was a bunch of
stuff going on at that time of Cincy into the BE, Huggy out, the first CR with the U., BC and Va Tech and
somewhere Andy Kennedy was in the mix.... but as I posted at the top of the thread I was guessing 4-5
years in the BE. Which Huggins actually spent 5 years in the BE after John Beilein left for Michigan.

I remember him more for those physical hard nose teams from Cincy and the NCAA's with guys
Kenyon Martin, Danny Fortson, etc., who seemed to never miss a tourney. The WVU team he put
together this year seems more like those teams from a first look.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9-NC1tw-kLUWDlg&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cWc&cad=rja

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT