ADVERTISEMENT

UConn v. Louisville Girls

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
#1 UConn vs. #4 Louisville in the last matchup of the year against a top 10 team. Louisville beat ND by 33 so we know they are for real. This should be a good test!

Very good first half by UConn. Azure Stevens seemed to be thrown off a bit by Louisville's interior D. UConn needs to get her going.

I REALLY hope we just watched our replacement for Geno.....would be a perfect fit for us.

As for the game, L'Ville outplayed us for half the game.......

We missed some open threes in the second half that we normally make. As good a shooting year as crystal has had, I think she settles for some deep ones at times. And Pheesa isn't nearly as efficient as she was last year.

They'd have to feel good about a rematch. Although, Geno doesn't acknowledge moral victories. Only the men's coach does.

Louisville played a strong game after the first quarter when they turned the ball over and looked a little shellshocked. Their interior D was very good and they also did a good job chasing the shooters. 69 points is a very poor output for UConn and Louisville had a lot to do with it. They are very good and deserve to be a 1 seed and could see them in the Final 4.

Agree K99. They got their fair share of offensive rebounds and 50/50 hustle balls. Something we usually dominate.

I was impressed with the scrap and hustle of Louisville. I didn’t expect the game to be quite as close as it was. Louisville will be a tough out in the NCAA tourney. As was noted above Louisville flat outplayed UConn in the second half.

Yah right, like Waltz is going to leave the ACC to come to the AAC. Get real people. Besides he hasn’t beaten us in 14 to 16 tries.

What is the thought about who takes over eventually? Shea? Or a coach from his tree with HC experience? rizzotti? Elliot!

Last edited:
Yah right, like Waltz is going to leave the ACC to come to the AAC. Get real people. Besides he hasn’t beaten us in 14 to 16 tries.

Walz is 0-15 vs. Geno, I believe. There is no way he would leave Louisville to come to UConn. However, he played a great defense against UConn that other teams will take note of. Cards packed it in and left Gabby open to shoot jumpers, and UConn could not make any 3s. If you can avoid TOs against UConn which trigger transition baskets, this is the way to defend UConn. Very good plan by this coach despite poor record vs. Geno.

Regarding Shea Ralph, she is a possible replacement, so is Jen Rizzotti. I like the story about Shea's recruitment to UConn, retold in her wiki:

"Ralph called Geno Auriemma, the Connecticut coach, to ask what kind of role he envisioned for her at UConn. It is not uncommon for coaches to promise starting positions and a minimum number of minutes playing time for highly promising recruits. However, Auriemma responded, "I don't know. If you are really, really good, then you'll have a chance to play a lot. But if you suck, you won't play at all. Shortly thereafter, she made a recruiting visit to UConn, and told the coach she was ready to commit to Connecticut."

No one has beaten us......replacing Geno is a fragile thing and he is the right guy. Good recruiter, right temperament.....

Ralph is nice but no HC experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT