ADVERTISEMENT

UConn to offfer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships In Fall

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
UConn Will Offer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships In Fall

The new Division I governing model allows schools in conferences, such as UConn in the American Athletic
Conference, to opt into changes adopted by the Power 5, but does not require them to do so, but Uconn will.

"The NCAA is very clear on what schools are allowed to provide to student-athletes and what they can't provide," said UConn
athletic director Warde Manuel. "UConn, like most of our counterparts, has tried historically to give our student-athletes
everything that is permissible for them to achieve success academically and athletically. The NCAA now recognizes that
a full-cost-of-attendance scholarship will allow student-athletes the total experience of being a college student. We support
this change and are currently studying different strategies to implement exactly how we will provide stipends."
This post was edited on 1/31 7:56 AM by the Blades

Great Warde...Thx but the best way tho Warde... is to get into a P-5 asap!!

Sell sell sell to those greedy P-5 our revenue and budget is easily in there and belongs!!

You guys are funny. You continually bash the P-5 yet you have a throbbing hard on to join their greedy ranks. I am appalled by the hypocrisy. LOL

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
You guys are funny. You continually bash the P-5 yet you have a throbbing hard on to join their greedy ranks. I am appalled by the hypocrisy. LOL
It's called survival dunce ! How's that for hypocrisy....no one has to like the greed and Uconn didn't
cause it..Mr. Big Fish in a small pond.....but it is what it is ! You want Uconn to go back to the Yankee
Conference ? ...your either in or fading away as a AD... now go back to sleep if you don't get that....
because I'm done with you ... LOL at that !

Not sure I understand where the morals are in this analysis. For years and years the Masters was an exclusive club for rich old white anglo saxon protestant racists. Yet it was the most prestigious private club in the USA and everyone wanted to be a member. If you were a self respecting black man would you even want to accept an invitation to such a club, had it been forthcoming? To me the issue here is the same...............

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

its the "if you can't beat'em join'em thing.
Kinda right Dom..... more like rejoin them at the head of the class all over again. For 30 + years Uconn was not
only in the club but raised the bar to an elite level as an AD ( with hoops, Men and Women leading the way)
Now suddenly after a bunch of (BE) club members invite them to spend more than $200 mil in FB for the benefit
of the membership to strengthen the conference... they decide to leave and then vote to pull Uconn's membership
away...Mostly because a bunch of entitled bottom feeders were afraid that Uconn FB might pass them just like
our hoops did.

The bottom line is Uconn as a school (that dwarfs some of these overhyped P-5 privates) and as an AD, along with
all of us loyal fans.....has every right to regain the place we've already earned, which is to see Uconn compete and
recruit at the highest level in college sports, despite what the money and dirty politics say.

This post was edited on 2/1 8:22 AM by the Blades

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

its the "if you can't beat'em join'em thing.
I still don't buy that the P5 as currently structured will last. Or that the Big East will not still be an option for basketball. The "if you can't beat em join em" adage only applies if they cannot be beaten and I think they can be beaten in the courts and/or on the playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT