ADVERTISEMENT

UConn to Big East?

kind of an ugly thought going back to big east and downsizing football program
I agree, don't like the writers ideas in that article...the only way it makes sense is if the American becomes a landing spot for Uconn Football( no football downgrade) ... then the American could add say Army and Air Force if it loses 2 to go along with Navy and Uconn as FB onlies.. But this is putting the carriage before the horse .

Last edited:
Yeah it just doesn't add up, if you're going to downgrade football, go all the way down. But also don't downgrade football, idiots. Being a part of Big East basketball isn't worth all that.

Linked this on the hoops board, from the longtime OU sports editor & beat writer: Berry Tramel :
Says: if given a redo, the ACC almost surely would prefer UConn to Syracuse or BC.
* Find a like-minded school. Find a peer institution .The Big 12 is made up primarily of state universities. I know that most of us don't consider or care about academics. But the decision-makers do. All the Big 12 presidents. For what it'sworth, U.S. News & World Report's 2015 rankings of American universities has Texas 52nd, UConn 57th and BYU 66th.
* Connecticut is the most populous state in the union without its flagship school being in a Power-5 conference....The Huskies own the college market in Connecticut, which has about 3.6 million residents, which makes it slightly smaller than Oklahoma.
* The changing face of television.... UConn in the Big 12 would mean more digital sales than Houston or Memphis or Cincinnati could provide. and says:
* FOOTBALL UPSIDE IS OVERRATED
* GEOGRAPHY IS OVERRATED
Mentions travel not a big deal for high profile sports..but talks about dropping some sports and WVU's Olympic sports travels issues now that they are in the Big 12. I don't think it makes sense unless they were put in some other conference ( Title nine) ?

Full read: Why UConn should join BYU as Big 12's best expansion candidates

Last edited:
One other thought regarding the Big East, remember this tweet from over a year
ago from a former CBS editor....Just my speculation but could it be if Uconn went to the Big 12 they might need a place in the BE for a few other sports( soccer, some Olympic sports, etc) as Tramel suggests ???

Last edited:
Reactions: aman kidwai
Also a quick look at the Big East shows that very few of the 10 schools field teams in all sports (especially men's) beside hoops. The Big East now has 9 associate schools filling out their sports including Uconn who currently plays BE Women's LAX & Field Hockey. So it does look like the BE has a need to fill in a few spots, however this CR plays out.

Big East schools in-
Men's sports - baseball( 7), soccer (10) tennis (9), golf (9), tennis(8), track (7) and swimming (5)
Women's sports- softball (9), women's volleyball ( 10 ) and women's soccer (10 ),
tennis( 10), golf (6) track (8) and swimming(6)

Last edited:
I for one would love to see UCONN get one of the invitations to join the Big XII. While I understand the issue with travel with the Olympic sports, I do have to wonder if we were doing football only addition why UCONN would be a consideration. With BYU it might make sense, but if you're going after a football program only I think probably UCONN is way down the list. My hope is UCONN joins the Big XII to compete in all sports.

I can't imagine the Big XII Presidents would take football and, at a minimum, not require the men's and women's basketball programs as well compete in the Big XII.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT