ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn to add temp seating for Michigan game

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
From SNY's:

John Silver[/B]
"FYI on temp seating for Michigan. It's going to be a couple of thousand to accommodate
Michigan tickets. Michigan will have 5,000 tickets..."
John Silver[/B]
"I don't know how many they are putting in total. If they wanted, they could put
10,000 in. Nothing is set. Need is there. Here is deal. If you want to get into Michigan game,
buy season tickets."

I'll tell you this, I went to the Uconn game at Michigan, with the way they pack the seats so close
together Uconn could probably add 15,000 alone not doing a thing. By just changing the numbers spacing
with the seats as close together as they are in the Big house. Damn CT safety codes, LOL !
But my guess is they could add a few thousands temps at the open end, under the Jumbotron.

This post was edited on 2/20 4:56 PM by the Blades

UConn could add a few thousand easily for the Michigan game and the Tennessee game.
I had heard they were adding 4000 temporary seats for the game. I hope so, but either way it is good that they are selling this game as season tickets and no single game sells. If so Michigan fans would have half the stadium for the game.

As a Michigan fan in CT (who has also cheered for Husky hoops since moving here in 1990), I can tell you that I'm seriously considering buying season tickets for $175, which is the cheapest package. To get to a Michigan game every year, I shell out $80 for the ticket, plus airfare and meals (I'm able to avoid hotels because I stay with friends). That's a far cry less than $175.

I guess my point is, the stadium could be half filled with Michigan fans no matter what. A lot of them will run through the same cost analysis I did. The downside for UConn is steep, too, because it means there could be a lot of empty seats for the rest of the schedule, due to M fans not attending any other games that come with their season tix.

Originally posted by WolveriNut:

As a Michigan fan in CT (who has also cheered for Husky hoops since moving here in 1990), I can tell you that I'm seriously considering buying season tickets for $175, which is the cheapest package. To get to a Michigan game every year, I shell out $80 for the ticket, plus airfare and meals (I'm able to avoid hotels because I stay with friends). That's a far cry less than $175.

I guess my point is, the stadium could be half filled with Michigan fans no matter what. A lot of them will run through the same cost analysis I did. The downside for UConn is steep, too, because it means there could be a lot of empty seats for the rest of the schedule, due to M fans not attending any other games that come with their season tix.
WolveriNut:
I doubt the Michigan half filled thing especially since Uconn has averaged around 28,000 season tix a year since
they opened the Rent. They were down to about 23,000 last year and they peaked a few years ago at 32,000.
But I know with the schedule this year( Michigan, Ville, Rutgers, Maryland) alot of current season tix holders
I talked to will double up because they have casual Uconn fan friends that are begging for Mich tix., 'the Edsall
return etc. So the numbers should be up again. Also Uconn season Tix holders on the 3 year plan that started
in 2012 and those w/ higher points get first dibs and the best seating locations.

But empty seats ? No one has to eat tickets in this day and age, you ever hear of secondary outlets, stubhub ?
Any fan would be crazy if they haven't. Because you could actually make money if you don't go to another
game the rest of the year. If I wanted to I could get my money back in just 2 or 3 games by selling on
stubhub most years. Though I do have good seats.

Also Uconn added an instant download feature last year for season ticket holders, that makes them easy as
ever to transfer and save $ for the buyer in Fed Ex costs if you put them on the secondary market.

This post was edited on 2/27 6:44 AM by the Blades

Good info, thanks. I've obviously used StubHub before (purchase side), but I figured on the sale side you needed an actual buyer to make money. And that's my point: if I buy season's tix just to go to the Michigan game, who is going to buy my Towson or South Florida seat? Whereas if a UConn football fan bought the season tickets, he might just go to the Towson game.

"Half full" was an exagerration, but don't underestimate how interested the M fan base is in coming to the game. Boston and NY are huge alumni hubs and this is their first chance to see Michigan in a close to home location since the BC game in the early 90s.

Towson will probably be the only one you have to eat for sure because Uconn always plays their FCS
game before Labor Day and alot of Uconn fans skip out on those games too for the long week-end.
But Uconn has played to about an average of 95 % capacity since it's opened the Rent and with the schedule
this year they could be close to a sell out. The Maryland, Louisville games should be a winner for you. Some
of the games are like the stock market on stubhub, depending on how a close opponent like Rutgers is playing
because their fans will travel to CT so it can rocket up the market or if Uconn fans are calling for PP's head by
Nov, it will knock it down. It's gotta be a win-win for you either way, I have a friend who still can't sell his house in
Mich, even though he's been here 5 years, so he's psyched and he never thought he'd get a chance to see them in CT.

But as far as make-up of the crowd don't be surprised how many more Uconn fans buy seasons tix too. One thing
about CT fans is they are a fair weather bunch and most will look at the schedule and want in, not only for the
Michigan game but also the Edsall return, plus the Ville and Rutgers last go in the BE. For that reason alone I might
buy extra season tix myself, because the demand should be there and I can use em' or sell them.
UConn Huskies Online Ticket Center

UCFB-PAC-2013-ORDER.JPG

This post was edited on 2/28 10:04 AM by the Blades

Do you have any insight as to when season tickets will sell out? I'm was going to wait to buy until I know how many seats I need (friends may be coming in from out of town), but with your earlier comments, I'm thinking about getting the season tickets now and then selling them off if needed.

Do you have any insight as to when season tickets will sell out? I'm was going to wait to buy until I know how many seats I need (friends may be coming in from out of town), but with your earlier comments, I'm thinking about getting the season tickets now and then selling them off if needed.
That's the million dollar question..... if you click the image I posted, line 2 says buying seasons are the only way
to guarantee Michigan tix. Last years total was low at 23,000 but those people were on the new cycle year of a
guaranteed seat location/must buy 3 year deal, so any new season tix orders this year should be in addition to that
total. Sometimes you hear an update number every month or so from the media.

But the other option being a Michigan fan ( I don't know what your connections are alumni, donor, etc ? ) J. Silver
above does list Mich as having 5,000 for the game, but who knows how the school divvy's them up. I know Uconn
has a separate page to sell away tickets but they use donor points and that is the way I got mine when I went
out to the Big House.

Oh one other thing is the 3 year people have to put their renew in by April 30th and can put new orders in with it
to get the best seats so maybe something will be mentioned in May.

This post was edited on 2/28 9:59 AM by the Blades

Originally posted by the Blades:

That's the million dollar question..... if you click the image I posted, line 2 says buying seasons are the only way
to guarantee Michigan tix. Last years total was low at 23,000 but those people were on the new cycle year of a
guaranteed seat location/must buy 3 year deal, so any new season tix orders this year should be in addition to that
total. Sometimes you hear an update number every month or so from the media.

But the other option being a Michigan fan ( I don't know what your connections are alumni, donor, etc ? ) J. Silver
above does list Mich as having 5,000 for the game, but who knows how the school divvy's them up. I know Uconn
has a separate page to sell away tickets but they use donor points and that is the way I got mine when I went
out to the Big House.

Oh one other thing is the 3 year people have to put their renew in by April 30th and can put new orders in with it
to get the best seats so maybe something will be mentioned in May.

This post was edited on 2/28 9:59 AM by the Blades
Just wanted to thank the UConn people assisting in this matter.

Regarding the issue at hand, I really wouldn't count on the Michigan alumni office unless your contributions merit special consideration. While I have a feeling the only way your average Michigan alum/fan will get in to this game is through the UConn season ticket office, right now even Preferred seating levels are putting you between the 10 yd line and the endzone.

I still remember going to the BC games in the early 90's -- parking was impossible btw. As I recall, I did eventually get endzone seats through the Michigan ticket office after a hitting a lower-end donation level, but this game is going to be a difficult scenario with regard to stadium size and the NYC alumni base (of both schools).

For Michigan alums living in the Northeast, I think you're looking at two options: UConn season tickets (and take what you get) or wait until Rutgers & MD join and watch this one from home.

Any parking advice would be appreciated also.

Thanks again.

Here is a link to parking that also has tailgating rules Rentschler Field Parking Map
The lots open 4 hours before the game and being that the place is an old airport the General/Non-Pass parking
is pretty much unlimited and the entrance is only about 500 ft from I-84 E. You just end up farther away from the
stadium so you have to make the hike down the old runway. Also there are about ten lanes in and out on the Silver
Lane side, so it's pretty easy getting in and out, compared to say Foxboro. There are also alot of private run lots on
Silver Lane with more lax TG rules ( The Aero Club lot, Franks Nursery) I get a season parking pass on property
but I hear the off property ones might be cheaper like $10. Hope this is helpful

This post was edited on 3/8 7:34 AM by the Blades

Blades, thanks for all your advice. I ended up getting season tickets in Section 131. On StubHub, somebody already has seats in my section up for sale. He has set the price at $168 for my seat equivalent, which suggests my $181 for season tickets was a wise investment.

Being a local, and Huskies hoops fan since moving here in the early 90s, I think I'll end up keeping a bunch of the tickets. The Friday night Louisville game, at a minimum, should be fun, and I might take my kindergartener to the Thursday night Towson game--it would be her first game and no sweat off my back if we have to leave early.

with this big sum of money coming UConn's way from the breakup I wonder if it makes sense to double down and invest some of this money right back in to the stadium and expand now. I'd rather schedule tough and good opponuts like Michigan, Maryland, Tennessee and possibly lose at home (but get huge crowds) than play the likes of 2 or 3 MAC type schools. Has anyone heard of any numbers on potential expansion ability of the Rent?

Just look at this upcoming season I've heard a lot more people talking about the schedule and plan to go more (or what blades said with other season ticket holders buying up more tickets) would not be suprised to see the season ticket sales jump a good amount this year closer to that 30,000 mark.

Any expansion in the stadium would have to come from the state of CT, they own it and they would
be the ones to make the investment. CT also just signed a new contract for management of the Rent
and the XL Center with Global Spectrum/ Comcast out of Philly and I don't know what part they play in it.
There were numerous bids to manage both venues and I think Uconn considered putting together their
own group to manage them too.

I do know that the stadium was built as a shell with all the structure already in place to get the seating
up to 55 or 60,000. Also like you said Uconn is trying to upgrade the OOC schedule and besides Tenn
they have added future home and home dates with BYU and Virginia( again).

This post was edited on 3/8 8:10 PM by the Blades

State of CT would be the one to make the investment but they also own UConn so I'd imagine the money could be moved around if the will was there - I did see the large sum of money UConn is getting is not coming all in one lump sum most likely. Managing group is there to manage I suppose if they had in the contract certain goals that would allow them to generate more revenue based off more seats they may put some money toward it but how many years was that contract signed for managing groups come and go they are not always in it for the long haul.

I think 55/60k is a good number I'm sure the price tag would still be fairly hefty though so it is a big investment. Have to angle the big donors to if they see the chance of getting bigger name teams in with a bigger stadium maybe you get some big donations. Doesn't hurt to try....

I hear you on the main goal for expansion.

One thing my bad, I just read the CT OPM 2010 report, the structure is set right now for 50,000 but that doesn't mean
additional seating or luxury boxes would have to stop at that... it could go to 60,000 or beyond if the need was there.
But being a former state employee and seeing how budgets work in state agencies Uconn's settlement $$$ will be
used to operate their AD only. Current total capacity is at 40,624. The state OPM are going on their 4th management
operator since 2003( I guess 3 yr deals) and the latest one Global was selected because the bid they layed out had the
most $$$ for improvements to the venues. One group got an early termination.

But because Uconn is only a tenant the best thing they can do is sell the place out for their events. The report says
Uconn's rent was $100,690 per event. There is a master development plan for the entire area including private development
( like Cabella's) but their are so many other stake holders( CT OPM, the operator, UTC, private sector, etc.) that Uconn could
never invest in the total project on their end. The operator even has to get prior approval from the state to add events and
only ones that will generate a profit. ( Maybe that is why Northland got kicked out early when the UFL team they brought in
bombed and ended up owing the state money) This year they have the CONCAFA pre-World Cup tourney and they've had
concerts there. It gets kind of complicated because if Uconn was paying for that additional seating they would have to get
a % of gates for those events. I'm sure it could all be do able but it's all about maximizing the number of profitable events,
attracting outside investment to make it a destination location and also putting asses in those seats. When I get my next
billion or so I'm all in, LOL !

This post was edited on 3/9 9:10 AM by the Blades

Found this from the Michigan perspective:
UConn to Add 2,000 Temporary Seats for Michigan Game

"Michigan’s allotted 5,000 seats for this game does not nearly meet the expected ticket demand of Wolverine fans.
With UConn located in one of the most populated areas of the United States, Michigan alumni are plentiful. For instance,
the University of Michigan Alumni Club of New York, based in New York City, has over 13,000 members. Additionally,
there are at least eight UM alumni clubs within a three-hour drive of UConn’s Rentaschler Field. UM Alumni Club
members typically have the opportunity to purchase tickets for most home and away Michigan football games.
However, it is the norm for these benefits to exclude rivalry games with Notre Dame and Ohio State as well as other
games with traditional high-ticket demand."
"As an example of the excitement and limited supply of tickets in the marketplace, the UConn game has also been
added to the excluded list of games available directly to UM alumni club members. "

This post was edited on 5/15 1:55 AM by the Blades

I am going to go against the grain and say that I do NOT like the UConn policy of making the Michigan game only available to season ticket holders.

Last season USF hosted Florida State and tried the same tactic, only to have it blow up in their face. The game was "sold out" but there were several thousand unfilled seats. Rumor was that they took a loss on the game. Seminole fans complained that they were unable to get tickets to the game and the scalpers ended up making all the money.

Of course, USF does play in a much, much larger stadium also the majority of the FSU alumni base is within a few hours of Tampa.

Good points, I've been a donor for over 20 years and had season tix before they moved up to D-1A. But I still wonder
what they do if they don't sell 37,000 season tickets. I know they reserve 3,000 for the visiting teams, plus they are
adding the temps for that game, but what then? Say they sell 33,000, what do they do with the other 4,000, eat
them and keep the seats empty? I don't think so. Offer them to high priority point donors? Or maybe they use a
broker to legally scalp them on stubhub......but I guess they deal with it when they have to.

At the end of the day Uconn had been playing up to 97% capacity by 2009. If the State of CT wants them to keep
bringing in marquee teams or wants the school to be considered for the next round of expansion, CT needs to start
looking at expanding to the 50,000+ that the venue was built for. You leave alot of money on the table if you
don't and you can never increase your attendance average when games you could sell 50,000 or 60,000 seats have
to stop at 42,000 with temporaries. And especially when it's mentioned: "The Big Ten is in the process of looking for
a space for an East Coast office, most likely in New York. Delany noted Wednesday that the Big Ten has 1.2 million
alumni living between Northern Virginia and New York"

So Uconn improving their profile/stadium is a must as SNY's John Silver mentions in this article:UConn’s attendance and Power 5 conferences
This post was edited on 5/17 8:25 AM by the Blades

Rutgers and Louisville spent millions on facility upgrades. Look what the return on their investment was. Rutgers has top notch FB and BB facilities, same with Louisville, which almost everything they have is new.

UConn knows what it as to do. Expand your stadium or build an on campus stadium. Try to get up to about 55,000, that's what Rutgers and Louisville did. UConn is a state school who would make a good program for the big 12, especially if we added Cincinnati, U SF, BY U and you guys, what a league.

Here's what I would do.............. Take the 3 big east teams, UConn, Cincinnati and U SF. Next I would go west and pick BY U, San Diego State and Nevada. Some would say UNLV, but we need state schools. 16 team conference that would be strong in FB and BB.

UConn............ 40,000, go up to 55,000
U SF............... 65,000 Raymond James stadium
Cincinnati........... they have already started, 86 million in improvements. plus expansion, not much, probably up to 40,000.
San Diego state.............. 55,000 seat stadium
BY U........................64,000, average 61,000
Nevada............... 30,000 seat stadium, would have to up that to 45,000.

You add two state schools. I think is huge. You get in Florida, California, Ohio, Nevada, Connecticut, Utah. There's very few teams left. The big 12 learned a lesson with Rutgers and Louisville. If they make that mistake again, wow.

You make some good points, rrwall just like the SportsNY TV writer said in his article above. The only thing I don't
agree with is Rutgers hoops arena is sub-standard and pretty small, but they were more about the B1G network and
TV sets than anything.

Facilities wise (ESPN Ranking Big East football facilities) Uconn was at the top of the old Big East across the board
with the biggest issue being seating capacity for the FB stadium. So as you said that is the key issue. IMO, this would
have already been done by now because an expansion in stage 2 to 50,000 or 60,000 seats was already part of the plan
when the stadium opened in 2003. The constant loss of teams with the first wave (BC, Miami, Va Tech) and the continued
BE uncertainty, slowed down the CT politicians and any momentum Uconn had gained for expansion...but right now CT
can't just sit back. As the SNY writer says " That won't fly anymore." Though I'm sure if they did have an invite to the
B1G or the Big 12, the stadium increase would be part of the plan.

Uconn with CT's backing has never done things half-ass if they commit to something. Though they got screwed right off
the bat by 3 BE FB teams who left and hid from them after CT committed $150 Mil to join them. Even with all that
CT/Uconn got the new FB stadium done and finished it so they could join BE football a year early. When at the same
time Villanova wouldn't commit to FB and by 2010 they were still trying to sell the BE FB members to allow them into
the conference in an 18,000 seat soccer arena. Cue, a FB split from the Catholics and maybe all this CR turns out different.
Also Uconn is in the process of completing a new 40 million dollar BASKETBALL CENTER.

But I like your plan and travel wise it's not much different than the new AAC. Right now were kind of on an east coast
island in CR just like WVU and I think Uconn would help upgrade the Big 12 in hoops. Plus Uconn academics(not
that it matters, just ask the ACC) scored 21st in the nation in the latest 2013 Top Public Schools | Rankings too.

This post was edited on 6/28 11:21 AM by the Blades

To those who've been at the Rent--for the Michigan game, right now they are offering Blue Miniplans with seats in section 213 (behind the end zone, upper bowl), or Red miniplans with seats in Section 226 (which seems to be around midfield, upper bowl). Is there a meaningful difference? The price gap is only $15 but I have friends coming in who don't want to spend the extra cash if the tickets offer a roughly equivalent view of the game....

Thanks for the insight.

WN click the section number on this map it gives you a photo if that helps:

edit: I guess I can't link it...you have to access it from the main page but just click seating map on the left:
Welcome to Rentschler Field
This post was edited on 8/14 5:52 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT