ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Syracuse Women Game Analysis

Not having Samuelsons shooting hurts because Cuse allowed the Washington forward to go like 9-10 from 3 off their press. But they are more athletic and better defensively/on the glass with Williams and Collier.

Cuse is hot but this is a whole different animal their facing tomorrow.

I agree with your analysis CaNOLEE. Samuelson will be missed more on offense than on defense. The problem is that her absence creates a depth issue- UConn is now essentially a 6 girl rotation against a pressing team. Butler would possibly be the 7th girl but because more ballhandling will be needed, Chong is more likely going to get minutes in the 7th girl slot.

Geno plays so few, I think foul trouble is your only worry. But as we saw with Stewy yesterday, this is not the boys bb iq, so you trust this group playing with fouls.

I do think Chong will get minutes. Because as great as this team is conditioned, they made need a few minutes to rest because of the full court pressure.

Cuse definitely is going to give them a unique challenge with the press. But it also could blow up in their faces and lead to easy baskets. I also think uconn defensive pressure will affect their 3pt shooting %. They may make 10, but will need to take 30 to do so. Long rebounds then become a factor and the guards will have to help out. This is where Williams and Nurse are big.

Don't forget ND made 13 3s against UConn earlier this year. I still don't know how that happened, but UConn's defense has gotten substantially better since then. If Chong has to play, she is not a good defender.

Uconn doesn't have a chance without Samuelson. she's the whole team !!!

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Blades the concern is that UConn is playing with a shorter bench. Chong and Butler will be pressed into more action than they normally see as will Collier and Williams. Collier and Williams are big time players and I am not too worried about them, although Williams has been somewhat turnover prone and that is a concern. But she is also an exceptional scrappy rebounder and good defender. This will be a game UConn will have to win on the defensive side.

Chong and Butler are solid players who have largely been inconsistent. At times Chong looks like a girl capable of great bursts of scoring as she is quick, has a good handle she can use to beat defenders and shoots well. Her man to man defense just isn't up to UConn standards and that holds her back. Butler is kind of slow and has a awkward looking shot, but is a good rebounder and space eater.

Your concern, not mine !!!.... LOL !!!..... also Stewy guaranteed a win !!!.... I guess she's a little more than motivated:
Doyel: Finally, UConn drama — Brianna snubbed by Syracuse

The Orange would rather beat up on Coppin State 88-56 on Dec. 9 in front of 335 people — its smallest crowd of the season, than say yes to a home game vs. Uconn..who was traveling on the same night to Colgate. That was the alternative for Stewart’s homecoming game, with Colgate located an hour from Stewart’s home in North Syracuse. UConn won 94-50 and attracted a crowd of 1,782,

Last edited:
I would not be too worried about Stewart being fired up for this game anyway. If you want to worry about something, it's the short rotation and who will slot in as possible 7th and 8th girls against a team with a ferocious full court press. UConn should be able to handle it, but we'll see.

Women will win. Close game due to rotation and fouls but they will make history... Again!!

UConn up 27 at half and Syracuse press was ineffective in first half and only led to some easy baskets for UConn. In the half court defense Syracuse isn't bad though, it seemed like they were throwing off UConn's interior shots. But UConn's defense stymied Cuse 3 point attack and Cuse is getting mauled on the boards.

Stewey seemed pretty gassed in interview. I may give her a minute or two rest late in the third like they do in the NBA. Jefferson could play 40 minutes and run back to Storrs after the game and not get tired. Nurse as well. But give collier a little more burn, it also gives her great confidence going into next year.

UConn up 27 at half and Syracuse press was ineffective in first half and only led to some easy baskets for UConn..
Exactly what I thought Geno would do ....use Stewart to pass over the top of it.... I remember Perno using Corny T. to break presses like that back in the day....But Stewy does it so much easier...

Concerns...yep that Katie Lou had a big impact...LOL !...now if Stewart went down...... 31 point win !!!! ......Great job girls by slicin' up the Cuse press like butta'

They only had a problem with the Cuse press during that 16-0 run by Cuse mid 3rd quarter when the guards were dribbling too much and there were a few bad passes. I was worried that they could be wearing down mentally but after the timeout a few adjustments were made and UConn reverted to how they played the rest of the game. Overall they did a very good job against that press and Pulido coming in and swishing the jumper for the last bucket was sweet. She probably scored around 6 points all year and hadn't shot the ball too much.

Hard to have a play of the game when you win by 30, but Tucks backside pass when she was surrounded by Cuse Players for a layup, stopped the bleeding and put them back up 19 in that third quarter meltdown.

One more year Morgan! Drive for five!!! :D

Coach Diaco talks Uconn Women, Geno, the walk-ons moment and meatballs:

4/6/16 - Coach Diaco's Meatballs
UConn's Football Head Coach, Bob Diaco, visits Chaz and AJ to talk football, and he brings his world famous meatballs. Podcasts HERE

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT