ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-South Carolina

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
It looked like a bumpy win today vs SMU but any time you win a trap game by over 40 points against a decent club, there should be no complaints. I have noticed that when either Williams or Collier go out with foul trouble and Butler comes in, UConn really seems to lose something on offense and on defense. I am worried that the USC game plan Monday will be for their bigs to attack the smaller Collier and Williams with post-ups and get them in deep fouls. The good news is that the bench looked serviceable today. Bent had 5 assists in 7 minutes but needs to make herself more of a scoring threat. Irwin looks better and better- she is not a good athlete but appears to be strong, skilled and very heady, and I would not expect less from the daughter of a former coach, Penn State player and CT State Player of the Year. As with the football Mannings, it is a matter of pedigree. Butler is very mechanical and I thought she took some bad shots today, but if they can just get her to focus on defense and rebounding and only shooting layups when open and no jumpers, she will help the team. Dangerfield must have had a bad week of practice because she did not play first half and she has not shot the ball well of late, but hopefully as against Baylor she comes out fired up for the big challenge.

I am very worried about foul trouble for Collier/Williams, pretty sure it will happen and the bench will need to step up!!! Geno will have to earn his cash Monday night. Even if they do lose and the streak ends, they will still be a #1 overall seed I believe, but I think they will be fired up to win.

Irwin has looked better.

We need crystal Monday. She shot the ball well early, but has struggled post injury.

These are types of match ups is where Butler struggles against athletic Bigs. We just need her to be solid. Block out. Carve out space.

I'm worried about foul trouble as well. Someone is going to have to step up.

I thought the game was on the road, so I'm pretty pleased it's not.

Irwin has looked better.

We need crystal Monday. She shot the ball well early, but has struggled post injury.

These are types of match ups is where Butler struggles against athletic Bigs. We just need her to be solid. Block out. Carve out space.

I'm worried about foul trouble as well. Someone is going to have to step up.

I thought the game was on the road, so I'm pretty pleased it's not.
From a Gamecock fan, it's good to see that u guys are concerned about this game. I'm just hoping we can keep it close. Losing by less than 20 would be pretty nice. It's amazing what Geno has been able to do and he seems to be winning with high character players.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Number1,

I have seen all of UConn's games this year and where they are vulnerable is to teams with athletic size. UConn starts 4 girls who are All American calibre in talent, but their primary post players are a bit undersized. As a result, teams like Baylor, Maryland, and Florida State, all of which are excellent teams with athletic size, were able to avoid getting totally blown out. Ultimately they did lose to UConn, but they hung around due to board work and making it hard for UConn to get the usual easy baskets they get playing and blowing out AAC teams.

The reason UConn has won 99 games in a row and is undefeated this year is they play too fast for other teams on offense and defense. UConn is particularly deadly in transition and the secondary break, on the secondary break I have yet to see a team that can set up before UConn had whipped the ball around to whomever happens to be open. They execute at a faster rate than other teams do and other teams are not used to seeing things done at that pace.

I honestly expect USC, being the #6 team, to hang around, avoid getting blown out but eventually losing because they are on the road and at some point in the game I expect some TOs to lead to UConn transition baskets. We all want to see our girls tested and a good game which benefits everyone.

FYI these are the teams that played UConn tough:

Florida State (UConn won by 2 at FSU)
Maryland (UConn won by 6 at Maryland)
Baylor (UConn won by 11 at home)
Notre Dame (UConn won by 11 at ND)

All of the above were very good teams that did not get blown out by UConn.

Pj, Khalid nailed a lot of it.

To reiterate, We are small and only really play 7, one being a slow footed 6'5 girl. So foul trouble is always a concern.

I think for you guys to win, a perimeter player will have to play well and hit some 3's. Aja and your other Big are going to get theirs, but you'll need balance to stop the streak. Because this game is probably going to be 81-77, one way or the other.

Furthermore, I'm superstitious and I'd probably be more confident if this wasn't for #100. :)

Katie Lou laying an egg.

someone has to pick up the slack. Crystal? Gabby came to play,

Katie Lou is being played very physically. One of her weaknesses is she is not as strong as she needs to be or will be, and against a team like this like Geno said they need to screen for her. But the main problem UConn had is that SC's size led to a lot of second chances and rebounds and UConn tried collapsing and SC then hit some 3s. SC played a very good first half and UConn is lucky to be up by 6. SC did not finiish the half well but they played great up to the last 1:30. I expect better from UConn in the second half- they need to extend the D and force TOs. They could get beat if they allow this to continue as a halfcourt game, SC is very physical and athletic and obviously bigger and you have to run and run some more against those kinds of teams.

I agree about extending the defense to speed up the game and turn them over, but we have only 5 players.

Kia is done for the night and I'm not sure why she hasn't sat the last few weeks to get her ankle healthy. Even the greatest ever, makes questionable decisions.

And It looks like he's afraid to goto Butler. He really wants this 100, but we may need her in Late March, so I'd get her some second half minutes.

I'm waiting for Katie Lou to unzip her face and have Rodney Purvis pop out, :D

What a game.......and through all of this it took this game for me to remember we have the Duke transfer that will start and be an AA for us next year. Dang......Add the #1 recruit and a seasoned Williams, KLS, NC, and an unleashed Dangermouse.......wow.

I loved that we got pushed today. Wilson is a beast. She should have come to UCONN but cant blame her for SC, that is a great program on the rise. I love the coaches passion, very early Ollie.

KLS and Nurse had bad games and we still won. Williams just is the best athlete I think that has ever played at UCONN. Wow.

This team is beat-able, this NC is not a done deal by any means.

If I am not mistaken it was Katie Lou's first game not in double figures this year. She and Nurse were almost non-contributors, Nurse due to playing on one leg. However, the undersized Collier and Williams outplayed Coates and Wilson. I agree with Dominick, UConn is beatable in the NCAA tournament this year, but next year I suspect they could go undefeated again with the team they have coming back plus the incoming transfers and recruits. If the streak is not stopped in the NCAA Tournament this year, it will go on for a long time.

I would also note that the Final 4 is in Texas, and both Texas and Baylor could be there waiting, and not to mention also that Maryland and Florida State have tough teams that were able to hang with UConn. UConn is very prone to being in trouble with any kind of injury or foul trouble, so they need to have those things not happen to them in the NCAA tourney.

Dangerfield is operating at a different speed than any other player. Coming from a person who finds no joy in women's basketball, she is an amazing player

They absolutely can be beaten in the tourney if Nurse doesn't get healthy, or if Gabby/Collier or KLS get in foul trouble and the other team has size, perimeter shooting and is patient. Therefore, they can also absolutely win it. :) And we were all worried about our depth, but SCar only played 7.

Please rest Nurse the rest of the regular season and even the American tourney if need be. After 100, the only goal left is cutting down the nets on the last night.

Anderson, I'm a pretty recent convert. I watched the Lobo team because it was their first and Tenn was the evil empire. Then I loved Taurasi because she was an elite passer on top of being a dominant scorer as well as watching Bird and Cash. However, Usually I'd only watch the final four and maybe the big east final. But I really got into them two years ago and watch almost every game now and even DVR them. Maybe because the boys are down and they are so dominant or because they play such a crisp, unselfish, hard nose brand of basketball. And watching Gabby is great, as well as Collier and Lou when she's shooting well. Kia plays with incredible toughness and she's easy on the eyes. ;)

And I agree, Crystal is going to end up the best uconn PG in history by the end of her career. Her vision is amazing, her teammates just have to catch up to her.

Unlike you guys I am NOT a recent convert, I have watched the UConn women very consistently since the Lobo teams to present date. The current team is not the most talented they have had (the 2001 and 2002 teams were) but they do play as well as a team- as well any team they have had, if you just assess team offense and team defense. Gabby Williams, the last two seasons really, has taken up the level of the team's defense. It's always been good, but Gabby has created ridiculous amounts of havoc for opposing offenses because she plays the passing lanes and gets deflections but also rebounds well and has very quick hands. UConn has never had a player like her that creates as much trouble both on defense and offense, except maybe for Stewart who was a pure shot blocker. Gabby is a player who you have to be aware of where she is as she can block anyone's shot (best vertical leap in women's game) and tip or poke away any dribble or pass in a flash. She is a one woman press. She is also a great kid as are all the other girls on the team.

Dangerfield is very good, but her shooting could be better. Her passing and point guard skills are outstanding. She will get better but I do not think she is as good a defender as Moriah Jefferson was. Moriah was a total ballhawking pest and it was a nightmare for opposing point guards to bring it up against her. Crystal looks like more of a pure point with great vision and a great ability to zip passes through tight spots right on the money. She is the kind of player that whenever she drives you have to have your head up as she will see you and find you if your open. Her shooting has been so so. Nurse and Chong are both much better 3 point shooters at this stage.

The real disappointment last night was Katie Lou. She is a MUCH better player than what she showed last night. She has had several easy 32/34 point games this year where she played 3 quarters or less, took all shots within the flow of the offense and scored easily and at will. She is in a shooting slump lately, but she is also a threat to drive and score as she has a good handle. She caused the ND girl who was guarding her to suffer an ankle injury on one of her drives, if you saw that game. Last night South Carolina defended her well and she could not get it going. If I am not mistaken it was her first game this year that she was not in double figures in points which tells you how gifted a scorer she is. Let's not forget she is a sophomore and played like National Player of the Year for nearly 20 games. Now Gabby looks like she could be National Player of the Year. But I expect Samuelson's greatest basketball is in front of her. She is immensely talented offensively, can pass, shoot, drive and do all little things that are needed. What she lacks a bit of is physical strength. She is a project for Shea Ralph but her improvement from last year to this was immense and we can expect Shea to bring out the beast in Katie Lou, which was not seen last night but has been seen a lot in other games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT