ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Rejoining Big East

Is Darron Boatright a cousin of Ryan Boatright?
Those guys are only talking about UConn basketball. Aresco envisions the AAC as a rising football power. That is my read on all of this. Aresco sees UConn football as garbage at the bottom of the conference, hence his good riddance comments. It was Aresco who coined the Power 6 moniker- but he was talking football, not basketball.
Sure Penny and Wichita St. are both bringing it from the hoops angle, so duh !......but like I said in the TV contract thread, Uconn FB has more potential than 75% of those AAC programs. Name me any of those AAC FB teams who have averaged 37,000 fans for 11 strait years besides Uconn ? (ECU ?... who was supposed to be a FB only until Aresco got raided and panicked... UCF ?)..or name a FB program that won 2 championships in a BCS conference once they stepped up from the FCS in all of about 7 years besides Uconn ? The only thing that killed Uconn FB is Hathaway who was fired and Warde who slipped back to his alma mater. Sports are cyclical and Aresco can keep trying to make shit out of shinola out of that P-6 moniker all he wants, and no he isn't talkin' about FB only. Pay attention to some of his interviews when he likes to prop up Uconn's NC's in hoops when selling his P-6.

And if P-6 was about FB then Aresco's nothing but a fraud. If his conference is such a rising FB power how come he can't he can't even get a seat at the big boys table ? Maybe UCF can answer that since they go 13-0 and had to create a fake NC campaign.... But none of this is new, KSTW. You've cracked on his P-6 BS on this board plenty of times so don't try to flip and act like it means something now that Uconn's heading out because you think some AAC fans might be reading this. I know how you roll...

PS.... are you still liking that big fish (Uconn) in the small pond (the AAC) that you used to try to sell ?

Last edited:
Dom I think you nailed it and here's why. Uconn FB sucks blah.... blah..... blah. True it's been a terrible time behind 2 massive HC'ing fails. But you know what Uconn has that most schools won't have if the AD plays their cards right ???? An exclusive TV contract in the largest media market in the country....

This is unique for a northeast team but its temporary. Its also overblown.
A Power 5 school will have bigger financial benefit to having their game shown on the "local" conference channel assuming its not already on the ESPN/ABC beast.

SNY has been the home of UConn women’s basketball for seven years. The network airs more than 300 hours of UConn athletics content every year and brings in over $1 million, and priceless exposure, to UConn.

And TV is moving to a streaming pay for play model. Which means when this gravy train runs out the consumers choose and drive content. That wont include UCONN Football barring a miracle turnaround as an independent.

Reality is even with this exposure and revenue football was a colossal failure.
Thankfully administration finally realized this and did what was best to protect its established brand, basketball.

Now its up to DH to turn this thing around, probation or no probation.

I agree with CFP. I think eventually UConn will have to shut down the football program. I hope I am wrong but it is sort of like baseball in Montreal with the Expos. They were doomed by a bad ownership group coupled with the strike of 1994. There are many people who think if the 1994 baseball strike did not happen, the Expos, who were the best team in MLB in 1994, would still be around. There are also people who believe the 2 failed HC hires by UConn doomed the program. It doesn't matter. It's not likely that it is going to work.

I think eventually UConn will have to shut down the football program. There are also people who believe the 2 failed HC hires by UConn doomed the program. It doesn't matter. It's not likely that it is going to work.

Personally I don't care...but this isn't hard ....like I said above...Name me any AAC FB team who have averaged 37,000 fans for 11 strait years besides Uconn ?. or any G-5 in the country. . Winning and opponents bring in numbers, so you don't kill that investment ($150 mil +) or potential.... you fix it.......If you think Uconn needs to shut down the FB program then you can say the same thing about 90% percent of the rest of the G-5's in the country because they've never had a run like Uconn FB or put up those numbers.

Everyone likes to talk about Uconn FB losing money ....Well news flash.... Uconn FB has been the only sport since 2003 that comes with mandatory donations from season tix holders to fund the entire AD.....FB also has the AD's highest F.I.T. fee (added per ticket) to fund the other sports stadiums the AD's building right now. Also you think IMG is still paying Uconn on the $93 mil deal they just signed in OCT without a FB team to market ?

If you think FB needs to be shut down, you might as well shut down the whole AD because the rest of the school’s sports who don't bring in squat lost $22.3 million. Men’s basketball lost about $5 million. And that Geno FF gals team, lost about $3 million. That's over $30 mil right there ...but FB who lost $8 mil is the only problem ? ....SMH.. Just enjoy the Big East and hope that Geno and Hurley can get their programs out of the red . So they can take care of all those other Uconn sports ...that no one wants to talk about...who are bleeding the AD dry..

Last edited:
Recap- Benedict on : the reported $7 mil a year AAC TV contract he says ain't close to that high of a number... talks about ESPN+ that would of forced "soup to nuts" production costs on Uconn for numerous sports in the new AAC deal....Uconn keeping the linear($NY) deal & high quality production going.......plus creating a digital package ( not controlled by ESPN )...and FB independence.....program already has many P-5 home & homes scheduled for the next 5 years, plus he's had numerous "big fan interest" FB schools that contacted him regarding scheduling since moving out of the AAC. Also mentions the FB investment/facilities, as some of the best in the country....cleaning up KO's mess and BB brand on the men's side.....and Uconn creating their own reality in CR rather than sitting around and waiting..(also seems pretty gangsta' that Uconn waited until they tapped out on that $100 mil+ worth of exit fee payouts, B4 the move, IMHO)

Last edited:
Coming off its worst season in FBS, UConn football’s scanned attendance hit a new low with an average of 10,032 actually coming through the gates, according to numbers obtained by the Hartford Courant.

The school typically reports tickets distributed as the attendance for games, which was around 21,000 per game — certainly not good, but higher than the 2017 season. However, an average of 14,000 people actually showed up to games that year, 4,000 more than in 2018.

Three of the four lowest attended games at Rentschler Field since 2010 came this season, including the lowest in the stadium’s history. Just 3,882 watched UConn fall to UMass on a cold, miserable day in East Hartford.

UConn’s low attendances could get the school in hot water with the NCAA. According to NCAA Bylaw 20.9.9.2, FBS schools must “Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period.” Actual attendance is defined as scanned attendance; the number of people who enter the game with a ticket.

ITS OVER JOHNNY

Personally I don't care...but this isn't hard ....like I said above...Name me any AAC FB team who have averaged 37,000 fans for 11 strait years besides Uconn ?. or any G-5 in the country. . Winning and opponents bring in numbers, so you don't kill that investment ($150 mil +) or potential.... you fix it......

" For UConn ........basketball wasn't always successful. Prior to the arrival of women's coach Geno Auriemma in 1985 and men's coach Jim Calhoun in 1986, the basketball teams were mediocre....UConn wasn't known nationally for sports or anything else."

" So state government spent $92 million to build the university a football stadium .The stadium was built in East Hartford rather than Storrs for accessibility for the whole state. Back then nobody was saying Connecticut and New England were indifferent to football, and the expectation of the public's enthusiasm was vindicated. In the first nine years in its new stadium the UConn football team was competitive and often filled all 40,000 seats. Indeed, the stadium was designed to accommodate addition of another 20,000. But six of the football team's last seven seasons have been losers, the team's coaches have been losers too, and the stadium isn't filled anymore. The problem isn't lack of interest in football generally but lack of competitive play at UConn. But however the team performs, there will be a big stadium to fill. It's not yet time to tear it down. It's time for UConn to shed its many extravagances in recognition of the need to fix its football mess."

Journal Inquirer- UConn should shape up and fix its football mess

Last edited:
Dominicfrank said:
"As for Football hear me out. I love the independent road. It wONT lose money and we get plenty of teams to play that fill the seats at the Rent and we get more options than you think with H/H's with big programs.

I think you will see more teams go indy.......puts the power in the school's hands. With SIGNIFICANTLY lower travel costs, better B-Ball rev, better direct access to buy games, etc...... I think you will see a boost to UConn as a whole. I actually think UConn football goes up from here......I really do."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dom I think you nailed it and here's why.
Uconn FB sucks blah.... blah..... blah. True it's been a terrible time behind 2 massive HC'ing fails. But you know what Uconn has that most schools won't have if the AD plays their cards right ???? An exclusive TV contract in the largest media market in the country....Schools who want another chance to market their brand in the Northeast can play in linear format in front of " more than 11 million households across the country".......... (Some so- called P-5's .... Duke, NC St., Boston College, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois have already signed on for FB home and homes) If Uconn FB can get respectable again the scheduling opportunities are endless when you add in the NYC/ Tri-state TV exposure you can to sell to opponents for their OOC games.

No ESPN+ paywall viewing, with a bunch of over bloated content with endless mid-majors or worse. No more terrible time slots for FB and BB games controlled by ESPN...... If Uconn works this right they can brand the hell out of theirself on the new Uconn FB & (sometimes) BB network.....SNY.....Then regarding the payout road games ( the Huskies already signed a $1.2 Million deal with Clemson and $1.8 mil deal with TENN) the $$$ on these one off FB games continue to go up.

Remember this below from the AAC TV deal thread? Why not score big on BB & FB ? Think big, go independent and control your own schedule, time slots and destiny !
Dom, me and you called it, as we both posted above right in the first days of the Big East news, and later Matt @ ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN wrote in his article.

MAC whack and Conference US Alphabet soup what ever.....
Uconn should have no interest in either of those conferences and Independence was the only way to go. There has been no school who's lost more from conference re-alignment than Uconn by trying to play ...pick me, pick me .... while winning way more in FB, MBB and obviously WBB than 75% of the schools who got to call theirselves P-5's. Time to stop propping up the Tulane's, Tulsa's and ECU's of the world and for Uconn sports to create a new reality on their own terms.

e-mail from Uconn:
BB19-Exit-Agreement.jpg

The University of Connecticut and the American Athletic Conference have reached an agreement regarding UConn’s departure from The American and UConn will move forward with plans to join the Big East Conference in all sports, with the exception of football, men’s and women’s ice hockey and rowing, on July 1, 2020.

UConn has decided that FBS Independent status is the best course of action for the football program and will proceed with plans to construct a football schedule for the 2020 season and beyond.

Basketball season tickets are still available and for the first time ever, season ticket holders have the option to renew the same seats annually by simply paying the associated costs each year. This creates a one-time opportunity this year to pick from the best available inventory. With the excitement of re-joining the BIG EAST, now is the time to beat the rush and get your season tickets today to guarantee the best seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
And Matt tooting his own horn a little bit too..... after yesterday's independent confirmation by Uconn:

Dom I think you nailed it and here's why. Uconn FB sucks blah.... blah..... blah. True it's been a terrible time behind 2 massive HC'ing fails.

But you know what Uconn has that most schools won't have if the AD plays their cards right ???? An exclusive TV contract in the largest media market in the country....Schools who want another chance to market their brand in the Northeast can play in linear format in front of " more than 11 million households across the country--SNY".......... (Some so- called P-5's .... Duke, NC St., Boston College, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois have already signed on for FB home and homes) If Uconn FB can get respectable again the scheduling opportunities are endless when you add in the NYC/ Tri-state TV exposure you can to sell to opponents for their OOC games.

No ESPN+ paywall viewing, with a bunch of over bloated content with endless mid-majors or worse. No more terrible time slots for FB and BB games controlled by ESPN...... If Uconn works this right they can brand the hell out of theirself on the new Uconn FB & (sometimes) BB network.....SNY.....Then regarding the payout road games ( the Huskies already signed a $1.2 Million deal with Clemson and $1.8 mil deal with TENN) the $$$ on these one off FB games continue to go up.

Remember this below from the AAC TV deal thread? Why not score big on BB & FB ? Think big, go independent and control your own schedule, time slots and destiny !

UConn Basketball Scores Big on SNY
NEW YORK -- bringing the Huskies into more than 11 million households across the country.

Well not only did WBB stay on SNY with 16 to 18 televised games a year ....as mentioned again in the NHR's Borges return to the Big East article today........ But as Mike Anthony put it:
" Dan Hurley doesn’t have to be the only guy at UConn tweeting out celebratory clips of Rocky Balboa reaching the apex of that Russian mountain.....In the past 11 months, athletic director David Benedict has turned a decidedly complicated situation into one of possibility "

Uconn Football has actually gone bigger than a SNY TV deal and pulled off it's own Independent TV deal (like Army, Notre Dame, BYU) with a national network.......
( CBS Sports which reaches about 55 million homes....." Line that up with the ESPN+ reality (approximately 8 million subscribers) that UConn faced as a member of the AAC. ")

" UConn on Monday will announce an agreement with CBS Sports, which will carry four homes games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season. .....The three 2020 games not contracted by CBS Sports are expected to be televised, with SNY the likely landing spot."......" Every FBS game UConn plays in the life of the deal will be on linear TV. There is a possibility that the one annual FCS game will be available on a digital-only platform....."

full read:

Last edited:
Article from Barstool Sports:

" THE HATERS ARE FURIOUS!!!......They said UConn couldn't do it ! ...That they were going to the FCS! ....No way they'd stay independent...how could it work ! ....They were DESTINED for failure !......Ha! .........I take so much joy in reporting that they were WRONG "

"All of the AAC laughed at UConn as they left, as if they were some conference filled with history and financial success. The leagues only national championship that mattered came thanks to the University of Connecticut. They should've been BEGGING UConn to stay.......In short: UCONN WINS THE BREAK UP."

full read:

Last edited:
(all teams in blue are 2 game/ home & home series)
"Between now and 2025, UConn AD David Benedict has made agreements to play Illinois, Virginia, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Purdue, Clemson, Fresno St, Central Florida, Syracuse (4 games), Michigan, NC State, Boston College, Utah St , Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, Ohio State and Army (8 games) . "

“There’s no question,” he said. “Myself and our coaching staff, we really sat down and talked a lot about what is going to be our message and how are we going to market what we’re doing. By telling them, ‘Hey, we felt good about the television package’ and by telling them about the schedule we were playing, and how we’re going to play more Power Five [conference] teams now than what we would have staying where we were previously, that made a big impact with the kids we were talking to. So that helped us tremendously, and we’ve seen tremendous interest. ... Do we have a challenge ahead of us? Yes, we do. But we have an ability to go out and sell things to get the kind of kids we need to win."

FULL READ:

Last edited:
One more read from The Uconn Daily ( Zac Boyer former publisher of this site/ and John Silver former Uconn beat writer from the Manchester JI)

OUR TAKE: Who knew UConn football still had this kind of brand recognition? Who knew it had any brand recognition? Let's call it like we see it -- good job Dave Benedict. UConn football has a national television deal. We were very critical of Benedict last summer when football went Independent to the Big East. We thought that Benedict only had a wish and not a plan. It was valid criticism and we called it risky. But you know what? Sometimes risk pays off and this was a calculated risk. Benedict bet on himself and delivered. We will gladly eat crow.......

FULL READ-
UConn Football Going National ! - The Uconn Daily

Last edited:
"Between now and 2025, UConn AD David Benedict has made agreements to play Illinois, Virginia, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Purdue, Clemson, Fresno State, Central Florida, Syracuse, Michigan, NC State, Boston College, Utah State, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, Ohio State and Army. "

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess patsy week for Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan and most of the other teams on this list will not include visits to East Hartford.

Get ready for those thrilling 63-7 losses Week 2 on the road as these teams tune up for Power 5 conference play!

“There’s no question,” he said. “Myself and our coaching staff, we really sat down and talked a lot about what is going to be our message and how are we going to market what we’re doing. By telling (recruits), ‘Hey, we felt good about the television package’ and by telling them about the schedule we were playing, and how we’re going to play more Power Five [conference] teams now than what we would have staying where we were previously, that made a big impact with the kids we were talking to. So that helped us tremendously, and we’ve seen tremendous interest. ... Do we have a challenge ahead of us? Yes, we do. But we have an ability to go out and sell things to get the kind of kids we need to win."

A note regarding Edsall's quote above and not that rankings during RE 1.0 was the end all be all, because Uconn sent more 2 and 3 stars kids to the NFL than just about anyone in CFB...as was noted in another thread... Rivals ranked Uconn's 2020 FB class the highest since 2013, before Pasqualoni and Diaco trainwrecked the entire program and it's recruiting as the teams became putrid..... During Diaco's time (2014-2016)...he was 100+ or worse in rankings every year.

So no more excuses Randy (he had #89 classes 2 out of his 1st 3 years back )....it's time to win or shut up..
..(FEB signing day Rivals team rankings)

2020-rivals-recruiting-rankings.png

Last edited:
How dear you post that ****ing piece of shit written by that rat blow hard who still likes going down on his knees for criminal U over at Louisville and Pitino ...
If you had any self respect as a rational Uconn fan...you would Delete that ****ing trash from this website.....

There's a reason that piece of shit has lost every job he's had in the last 10 years and is writing for SI who keeps laying writers off and is about to go bankrupt.....We've all known for years that he's hated Calhoun and Uconn.....Wow Coronavirus must has really gotten to him if he's putting out hit pieces like that...So he either has mental illness if he wants to pass that fake garbage off as journalism or he should be taken out to pasture like they do with useless horses in Kentucky.....but don't take my word that he's a piece of shit..... just read the twitter comments or the Boneyard...including one of the most rational sports writers in CT who even commented on it:

forcnt.jpg

Last edited:
How could he write an article like that and not mention the CBSSN deal?
....anyone trying to place financial blame during the crisis going on in this country right now is seriously sick & has alot of hate that shouldn't be promoted....

Last edited:
Easy boy.... I deleted the post. Just trying to figure out whether I missed something here and how an article like that gets published without mentioning the CBS Sports Network deal? A friend of mine told me the article appeared on Facebook so I am sure everyone in the UConn community has seen it by now anyway.....

Reactions: the Blades
Easy boy.... I deleted the post. Just trying to figure out whether I missed something here and how an article like that gets published without mentioning the CBS Sports Network deal? A friend of mine told me the article appeared on Facebook so I am sure everyone in the UConn community has seen it by now anyway.....
Your a good man and Husky fan...

Blades- the way it's supposed to work is that the writer doesn't have the final say on if his article gets published. Editors are supposed to fact check it and ask UConn to comment. I don't get how they missed the story on the CBS Sports Network deal, at a minimum it's sloppy journalism or worse, OR I was allowing for the possibility that the CBS Sports Network fell through and missed it?????

TRASH Journalism is always the last resort for desperate internet clicks ( so I guess Uconn's brand is still pretty popular ;)) ........I or (any Uconn fan who's followed this stuff ) or a quality writer like Silver could write holes through 90% of his garbage.... but no reason to even dignify it with a response , like I said, when AD's across the country are being pillaged by this virus....... So thanks again....

Last edited:
Did this guy sleep with your mother Blades?
To quote Richard Sherman, why you so mad bro?

I frankly dont know who the hell this guy is or why he wrote an article focused on UCONN cutting sports when many other schools are and will.

The hard truth is there are many factual things in the article.
Pitiful coaching hires
Edsall's inept unqualified son coaching Tight Ends
Wasted money on salaries, bonuses, and facilities for a garbage product.

I am all for UCONN dropping football and getting back to putting resources into sports they can actually compete in on a national level.

Remember those days????????????

Did this guy sleep with your mother Blades?
I frankly dont know who the hell this guy is or why he wrote an article focused on UCONN cutting sports when many other schools are and will.
CFP I do this once ... you whinny cocksucking bitch..... If I want your opinion on anything I'll beat it out of you... Real tough guy with personal comments
on the internet aren't you.....anytime bitch !

Last edited:
Now now Blades......... There's no need for extra periods, exclamation points and inflammatory language to drive your points home!!!!!!!!! LOL

Are there actual facts you want to dispute in this dudes article or do you want to continue threatening people on the internet to take down things on this board easily found on the internet....................SEE I CAN DO IT TO!!!!!!!!!

We'd all love to hear an intelligent case made for the great decisions of the last 20 years supporting UCONN Football, at the expense of every other sport.

Last edited:
There are some facts in the article that can't reasonably be debated but the credibility of the article is undermined by (1) not mentioning the CBS Sports Network Deal which will offset some of the losses discussed in the article and (2) as Blades mentioned it's probably unfair to single out or criticize any AD for cutting sports at this particular time when Covid-19 is hammering many schools. Although I deleted the link to the article primarily for those reasons, it was kind of pointless because the article is published on the Internet, it's on Facebook and probably most everyone has seen it by now. I only posted the link to the article because I couldn't believe it didn't mention the CBSSN deal and I thought maybe I missed something and that deal has fallen through. And nobody has confirmed that the deal is in place - if it is, SI should Issue an edited update of the article, something I see other news outlets do all the time when there are errors in their articles.

Last edited:
Have the financials of this new CBS deal been disclosed?
All I can find on it is cloudy at best and no where near as promising as people are suggesting

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/05/11/newly-independent-uconn-signs-deal-with-cbs-sports-network/

The first 4 years are guaranteed to cover UCONN’s home games and reported to be worth 7 figures. That could be anywhere from 1 to 9.9 mil. No reports that its a total package or yearly payout. Banking on the low end given this thrilling slate of games sure to pull in huge ratings!

Under the contract, the network plans to televise four UConn home games in 2020 (Indiana, Liberty, Middle Tennessee and Army) and all home games from 2021-2023.

Now how many of these reportedly scheduled games below are going to be at home no one knows for sure

"Between now and 2025, UConn AD David Benedict has made agreements to play Illinois, Virginia, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Purdue, Clemson, Fresno State, Central Florida, Syracuse, Michigan, NC State, Boston College, Utah State, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, Ohio State and Army. "

Honestly people, is any team West of Raleigh (the only teams that would actually generate ratings) travelling to East Hartford? The answer is of course NO

After the outstanding 2020 home slate, UCONN will likely get “marquee” home games against East Coast football powerhouses like Duke, UNC, BC, Syracuse, and Maryland. Sorry to disappoint folks, but teams that would pull ratings like Clemson, Ohio St, Michigan, Tennessee and Ole Miss won’t be making the trip and having their game broadcast exclusively on UCONN’s CBS Sport network channel LOL. I highly doubt UCF, Utah State, and Fresno are making the trek either. Even if they do, who is watching these inconsequential matchups?

This thing hardly seems like a windfall for UCONN Football as is being suggested. If it was dont you think UCONN would be announcing the financial terms??

A note regarding Edsall's quote above and not that rankings during RE 1.0 was the end all be all, because Uconn sent more 2 and 3 stars kids to the NFL than just about anyone in CFB...as was noted in another thread... Rivals ranked Uconn's 2020 FB class the highest since 2013, before Pasqualoni and Diaco trainwrecked the entire program and it's recruiting as the teams became putrid..... During Diaco's time (2014-2016)...he was 100+ or worse in rankings every year.
.......on to 2021 recruiting

Last edited:
Dan is an awesome dude and a great face for the program out there.

I believe him and when I talked to Byron Jones here in Dallas he was VERY MUCH in line with what Dan is saying.

Reactions: the Blades
I believe him and when I talked to Byron Jones here in Dallas he was VERY MUCH in line with what Dan is saying.

I posted these on the FB board...don't know if you caught it. Byron's had a good year $ and came up to see the Uconn FB team and RE, who recruited him, for the spring sessions. Uconn was one of the few schools to get all the spring practices in because of an early start and the Covid-19 outbreak

Last edited:
I met him and once he knew I was a UConn guy he opened right up. He did not hold back on his love for Edsell one bit.....he is very confident that he will get this back to being a good football program.

Meanwhile Miami has really upgraded their secondary since the beginning of last season. Having a strong secondary becomes crucial when a team's pass rushers are neutralized. Sometimes the opponent's OL wins, and when that happens your DBs are on their own. You want guys who can swim rather than sink in that situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT