ADVERTISEMENT

UConn offers 2019 C Charles Coleman

It's May and lots of teams need a big. Many are willing to reach, not saying that's what is happening here but it is reaching season.

Reactions: the Blades
Russ,

UConn needs a dirty work big badly. UConn over the past 20 years had some of the best dirty work kinds of bigs, guys like Jake Voskuhl, Souleymane Wane, Emeka Okafor (although an All American player he did all the dirty work big time), and more recently Chuck Okwandu. You win championships with big bodies who can grab dirty rebounds in traffic, set picks without committing O fouls, clog up the lane and deter rim attacks. That is what UConn needs. Josh Carlton is a very good shot blocker but he cannot waste fouls doing all the dirty stuff and he has shown a propensity for poor games against big and more physical teams, and it's because the dude needs help. So it may seem like reaching to you but if UConn sees this kid as a dirty work kind of big and sell him on that role for 2 years, I am all for it. There is dirty work to be done, and nobody to do it. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Like I said in the other thread, Boston kid, who's real familiar with Uconn from the past regime, never been mentioned with DH and Co. before. Also read that Chill at ECU has been on him again....but the Duke offer...??? ...IDK..

Brimah was a one dimensional shot blocker who didn’t board, didn’t play good positional defense (like Okafor who played best positional defense I have ever seen), racked up fouls at an alarming rate, and was utterly useless against big physical teams. His sophomore year he had 40 points against Coppin State, all on alley oop dunks against small inferior defensive players, and the very next game against Duke on national TV he scored 0 points and fouled out in 10 minutes of action. Brimah in 4 years had one good game that I can remember against a good team, although he will always be remembered for a heroic late game play against St. Joes his freshman year in the NCAA tournament. Which saved UConn. UConn won the national title in 2014 because of the team he had around him and particularly the guards on that team, who were superb. UConn made 88% FTs for the 6 NCAA tourney games, a record I predicted will never be broken.

Russ,

UConn needs a dirty work big badly. UConn over the past 20 years had some of the best dirty work kinds of bigs, guys like Jake Voskuhl, Souleymane Wane, Emeka Okafor (although an All American player he did all the dirty work big time), and more recently Chuck Okwandu. You win championships with big bodies who can grab dirty rebounds in traffic, set picks without committing O fouls, clog up the lane and deter rim attacks. That is what UConn needs. Josh Carlton is a very good shot blocker but he cannot waste fouls doing all the dirty stuff and he has shown a propensity for poor games against big and more physical teams, and it's because the dude needs help. So it may seem like reaching to you but if UConn sees this kid as a dirty work kind of big and sell him on that role for 2 years, I am all for it. There is dirty work to be done, and nobody to do it. It's that simple.
I did not say that UConn was reaching. In fact I specifically made a point of writing "not saying that's what is happening here."

Well at this point, in light of all the other bigs UConn was recruiting signing elsewhere, they may be in reach mode regardless. It’s not really clear to me what Coleman is as a player, so we will see.

Like I said in the other thread, Boston kid, who's real familiar with Uconn from the past regime, never been mentioned with DH and Co. before. Also read that Chill at ECU has been on him again....but the Duke offer...??? ...IDK..
As I posted above... so Chill and ECU beat out Duke ? ...I have serious doubts about that Duke offer...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT