ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn- Monmouth

Also according to Borges:
Monmouth -PROBABLE STARTERS
....................................HT/WT...Pos...Pts.
Austin Tilghman........6-1/230...G......9.1
Deion Hammond.......6-4/200...G.....10.3
Ray Salnave..............6-3/205...G......9.6
Mustapha Traore......6-8/210...F.......4.0
Diago Quinn..............6-9/255...C.....6.4

Micah Seaborn.........6-5/195....G....13.4

But their leading scorer:
Micah Seaborn
returned from missing two games with injury on Monday against Albany

GET TO THE STRIPE
Monmouth has taken 189 foul shots to this point, the most in the MAAC and 16th most nationally.

HAWKS MAKE TRIP TO UCONN SATURDAY

Good news, i consulted my magic 8 ball, "will they overcome the Chillious effect & be prepared to play?"

"Ask again later"

No news IS good news

First 10 minutes of this game UConn energy MUCH better and they are actually making some shots. Would be nice if they could get some kind of decent post play. As Tim Welsh said, "the paint is NOT wet!"

Well Larrier has two assists on the season coming into the game and he has matched that output in this game so that is progress, right?

Reactions: permit22
It's a win that inspires very little confidence that UConn will win many of the upcoming games against better teams. Syracuse, although they are getting hammered by Kansas at the moment, is 6-0 and will be heavy favorites against UConn.

Omg on possible sugery on Ag's shoulder. Can't catch a break.

It would be nice to not allow 40 points in the first half every game. And 57% fg shooting? Thats not uconn basketball.

Sounds like Gilbert may be headed for another surgery on the shoulder:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400987985
We might not see him play again for a long time, maybe not this year, maybe not ever.
Geeze ...you mean Kevin might finally get forced out of using his 3 or even 4 guard line-ups sometimes ? You know the rotations that become so undermaned
and undersized he gives up 10 points to whatever 6-10 stiff they play against every game because he thinks the idea of a rotation with Larrier playing against a 250 lb center is a good match-up ? I just can't stand the fact the this dunce is putting Uconn at an overall disadvantage game in and game out on defense and rebounding with his small ball BS.

It goes like this:: he has 3 fives ....Cobb, Carlton and Onuorah ( again if just for D and rebounding) ..normal match-up..use them.....Mamadou has shown enough to start at the 4 and get Whaley going to back him up with a little Kwintin if you need a 3rd..... Larrier should be a 3 and never guarding a center (which happens all the time), with Polley backing him up and getting whatever minutes at the 4, if needed. Then you have a 3 guard rotation of Jalen starting with Vital or Anderson and the other off the bench. If he needs to play 3 guards to close a game out with a lead.. fine.... SMH !

Last edited:
Blades,

I agree with you and even though Cobb picked up two very quick fouls, he should have played more than 3 minutes. Playing Larrier and Diarra at the 4 and 5 simply is not going to work. And he should be giving more minutes to the legit 5s we have, the 3 you mentioned, Onuorah, Cobb, and Carlton.

All 3 of those guys have shown flashes of effectiveness but they have been excessively foul prone and have not been able to sustain any consistent play. UConn also is not looking to get them going. Unfortunately because the last two games were close, dicy games UConn nearly lost, they really did not have the time to work on developing the games of these 3 in the low post.

I am encouraged by the play of Diarra the last 2 games but he is severely undersized and at best a 4 when coupled with one of the legit 3 above, NOT Larrier.

Larrier has been a big disappointment to me. He does not make a high % of what appear to me to be makeable shots. He does have a tendency to play "hero ball", as you say. I got a huge laugh out of King Rice's postgame comment that Monmouth deserved to lose because at the end they "tried to be heroes." UConn was guilty of the same and during the two 8 minute stretches of no FGs (two in one game!!!!!!!!!!) UConn got selfish and Larrier was a negative factor in those scoreless streaks.

They have a big problem with the Syracuse zone Tuesday because the way they have played is not at all effective against zone defenses. Larrier has the ability to get in the middle of the zone and knock down shots but those are the shots he has not consistently made and I saw this last night. Plus, although he had a couple of assists yesterday he is not a good passer. For UConn to have any shot against Cuse Larrier must play well and Vital has to make 5 to 7 3s.

Without Gilbert for the foreseeable future and maybe the rest of the year, I can see things going south quickly for this team. UConn was extremely fortunate to win the last two games. Honestly had the opponent played slightly better at the end of both games it would have been back to back home losses. Columbia and Monmouth simply did not execute well at the end of the games. It was not great D that caused that, it was more like self destruction. These are teams that are well below the general strength of the rest of the schedule. I am very disappointed and I continue to believe that Ollie's performance should be assessed at the end of this month and the AD needs to say whether he is happy with it or not.

Reactions: the Blades
Blades,
I am encouraged by the play of Diarra the last 2 games but he is severely undersized and at best a 4 when coupled with one of the legit 3 above, NOT Larrier.

Larrier has been a big disappointment to me. He does not make a high % of what appear to me to be makeable shots. He does have a tendency to play "hero ball", as you say. .
Yeah , Larrier's that guy who every so often drives me nuts. The guy who can shoot you in and out of a game because he doesn't know how to play to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. The Dyson type, Omar Calhoun( who it took KO a whole season to figure out that he sucked and stop playing, because he was killing the team, which finally lead to a NC)...Purvis with his sloppy TO's, charges into the lane, stepping out of bounds, terrible handle (not as bad as OC's ) or the games he missed 10-15 shots but still kept bombing away. But at least Rodney was a bulldog defender & had his plus - plus moments.........Larrier hardly exists on D & has 2 strengths I've seen, spot up shooter and in the middle of the zone( maybe a 3rd would be a decent rebounder, but as a 3), but that's OK and that would be enough for this team.... So stop dribbling TL !!! You can't !....he so damn weak he always gets it taken away or losses balance in traffic... And for all the good athlete stuff we heard about him he's not. Just a long rangy guy with average explosion and more in tight misses so far than should ever happen because he gets off balance and has no strength.

Last edited:
Just a long rangy guy with average explosion and more in tight misses so far than should ever happen because he gets off balance and has no strength.

That's probably the most disappointing part of Larrier's game, his missing of makeable shots when there is a little bit of traffic and contact, and also in the middle when wide open. His handle is not good and he has had Purvis-like TOs when dribbling in traffic, and that means using him at the 4 and 5 doesn't have all the advantages that it should have. I think he simply is not as good as we thought and ditto with Gilbert and Adams. None of these guys are very good, high% shooters and it's a problem to not have efficient shooters if you are going to play small ball. It just is not working.

Going bigger could work because even though the bigs have looked shockingly foul prone, at least you have a number of bodies to rotate in and out. They need to at least try and develop some semblance of an interior low post game, particularly with Carlton and Cobb. Cobb has been hurt, and really has not gotten enough minutes to really show what he can do. Onuorah has not shown that he will be any type of threat on offense. Whaley looks like he could be a good offensive rebounder but he does not have much else in his game at this point. Ollie does need to start playing these guys heavier minutes because Gilbert likely will be out for a long while and you can't play the other 3 guards too much. Anderson is gritty and plays good D but he doesn't do much as far as penetrating and creating opportunities, he is more of a dribble and pass it around the perimeter type. Jalen is the only guy who can score taking it to the rim but he doesn't get to the line nearly enough. Larrier and Diarra are not the guys to be setting picks against huge bodies.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Well Larrier has two assists ( now with 4 assists to 15 TO'S) on the season coming into the game and he has matched that output in this game so that is progress, right?
Other than the threads we posted above ...maybe I should look at the bright side, as you pointed out, that TL is adding something to his game...:)

Geeze ...you mean Kevin might finally get forced out of using his 3 or even 4 guard line-ups sometimes ? You know the rotations that become so undermaned
and undersized he gives up 10 points to whatever 6-10 stiff they play against every game because he thinks the idea of a rotation with Larrier playing against a 250 lb center is a good match-up ? I just can't stand the fact the this dunce is putting Uconn at an overall disadvantage game in and game out on defense and rebounding with his small ball BS.

It goes like this:: he has 3 fives ....Cobb, Carlton and Onuorha ( again if just for D and rebounding) ..normal match-up..use them.....Mamadou has shown enough to start at the 4 and get Whaley going to back him up with a little Kwintin if you need a 3rd..... Larrier should be a 3 and never guarding a center (which happens all the time), with Polley backing him up and getting whatever minutes at the 4, if needed. Then you have a 3 guard rotation of Jalen starting with Vital or Anderson and the other off the bench. If he needs to play 3 guards to close a game out with a lead.. fine.... SMH !

I agree regarding Larrier playing the 3. He is not tough enough to play the 4. He sets very soft screens and while he has the length and athleticism to grab double digit boards; many times he doesn’t seem interested in boxing out.

I would like to seem Mamadou at the 4 & Cobb at the 5, allowing Larrier to play the 3.

Reactions: 12rtackerman12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT