ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Men's Basketball Pregame (Florida) - 11/15/19

Gilbert sounds like he knows what some of the problems were against St. Joe's, now he needs to go out and show he has learned from it and can start running some offense rather than overpenetrating and making bad decisions.

Gilbert sounds like he knows what some of the problems were against St. Joe's, now he needs to go out and show he has learned from it and can start running some offense rather than over penetrating and making bad decisions.
Nobody had the balls to ask him about that elephant in the room. He said be a better leader but I didn't hear any discussion about sharing the ball with his team mates ( instead of 19 hollow possessions -14 misses/ 5 TO' s) and how about watching Kemba and learning what a pull-up jump shot is when your.. ...5' 10" ???? Those writers couldn't have lobbed in the questions any nicer if they were playing T-ball...SMH !

Last edited:
Florida looks like they start 1 in ( Blackshear)/ 4 out and smaller guys at the forward spots. Have been a bad 3pt shooting team so far (Uconn's at .396)
and they take a bunch less 3's than St. Joe's does (34)....about 20 per game for FLA.
FLA-lineup.jpg

They lost at home to FSU and should have lost at home to Towson, but many have them as a top 5 team when it’s all said and done. A UConn win might have a lot of juice later in the year, although I am not expecting a win after the way UConn player in the first two games.

Current line is Florida -4. I expected Vegas to react more harshly to UConn’s loss Wednesday night, but Vegas didn’t see the game- just the score. We saw the game so you know what I was thinking.

It’s a tough game to pick on the line because Florida has been unimpressive at home and it’s their first road game. They are a very good team and Blackshear is a tremendous player.

I was cooking mostly during the first half, but at least they are scrapping.

A Danny Hurley team should never be out worked or hustled. And that’s on him.

No moral victories now, get it done,

So far it looks a lot better than against SJ. Defense has been excellent and Florida is taking lots of bad shots while UConn has played a little more in control. The half court offense hasn’t been great but there were some flashes of solid ball movement. Seth Greenberg is right about Carlton having to do a better job against double teams. He is getting tied up thinking he can beat the double team. He needs to boost his assist total over 1 per game.

You ever do ribs in the crock pot, Khalid?

I made a ham yesterday, so did a soup with the leftovers, potatoes, onions, celery, garlic, carrots and half and half. Homemade garlic bread, Parmesan panko chicken tenders and an apple pie for later.

I’ve already put on my winter 10LBs and we aren’t even at thanksgiving. :)

Gilbert 6 for his last 28. Terrible. Don’t try and set up Polley when you’re ice cold. Great PG play.

Gilbert’s been terrible, but showed up in crunch time with a no look pass to Carlton, a clutch 19 footer and a game sealing steal. Hope that gets him over the hump.

Let’s go!

Just win baby! Not a pretty win by any means but the team got the job done down the stretch. This win will look very good at the end of the year and will more than offset the St. Joe's loss.

It would be nice if AG had made a few more shots. The game would not have even been close if he did.

You ever do ribs in the crock pot, Khalid?

I have, but in my opinion, char ribs on grill for 5 minutes, then slow bake for 4 hours at 200 degrees wrapped in tin foil, drain, sauce and then another 20 minutes at 350 is the best way to cook supremely tender ribs.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I’ve down similarly before. I know pit masters don’t like when they slide off the bone, but I’m lazy. ;)

After Wednesday’s debacle, this felt very good. Would have loved a few more stops down the stretch, but we actually out rebounded them by 1.

It’s a starting point.

UConn outrebounded Florida 38-37 with Akok and Carlton grabbing 8 boards each, but only shot 35% FGs and 4-22 from 3 point land. Definitely an ugly win.

Gilbert’s been terrible, but showed up in crunch time with a no look pass to Carlton, a clutch 19 footer and a game sealing steal. Hope that gets him over the hump. Let’s go!
Just got back from Gampel, I'd assume it was a sell out ? .... Because energy and noise wise, it was everything that Wed's dud wasn't. Noticed Andre Jackson behind Uconn's bench.

True regarding AG,
he started out more in control, with better ball movement, but he still can't hit even the wide open shots he actually should be taking. His shooting is just flat out bad (3-13 FG, 0-6 on 3's and even FT's 4-7) But that was livable until Uconn was up about 8 in the 2nd half and he single hand-idly got FLA back in the game by trying to takeover and "shot them back into it." But then like you said he finally went the other way and made a few plays at the end. I just hope he can find his shot at some point, but shoot less until he does. This Uconn season might live and die by what AG does because even CV is becoming a more reliable player. I thought guys like him and Polley (5 rebs, hurrah !) played within themselves. Carlton forced way to much when he was doubled but he still probably played Blackshear, FLA's best player even up. Whaley was strong on D/boards and the only guy who gave them anything off the bench. my grades:
Vital, Polley-A
Carlton- Whaley - B
Gilbert - C ( gotta love that hail mary drive that hung on the rim and fell in, and only 2 TO's that's a bright spot)
Akok- C ( for his D and boards)
Wilson- C- (I'm kind to Sid)
Gaffney, Adams- D / incomplete

The Uconn win - A ,.....but I don't think the height challenged, bad 3pt shooting Gators are a Top 25 team...

Box Score

one other thought:

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Love Hurley slapping hands with the students. Ollie wouldn’t get out of his seat unless it was for halftime. And I’m surprised he didn’t have a motorized scooter to do so.

It may take longer than we all want, but eventually he’ll get us turned around.

I was texting with my buddies during the game today. Every Saturday game is away? That stinks.

Reactions: the Blades
Blades are you seen in that video slapping Hurley in the back?
Naw, they won't let me that close to the court for my own good...I wouldn't make it past halftime with the over the top crap I give the zebras.
I can't even take the stuff I yell myself sometimes ...:cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT