ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Men's Basketball Postgame (SCSU) - 11/1/18

Can't remember the last time all 5 guards scored in double figures. I guess Brendan Adams opened some eyes as he played the most minutes and led the team in scoring. I was not expecting anything from him. Seems like he may have flown into Storrs below the radar.

Hurley get's it. I saw more corrections or coaching opportunities taken advantage of in a half, whether it was court awareness, shot selection , ball movement, etc.,than KO would make in a month. DH doesn't allow BS. Whether it was a DII team or not. He was micro managing his team right from the start to get bad habits out of their system. It's also nice to have 5 guards to rotate regarding what he touched on with the CV question. He was back to his old tricks of throwing-up poor shots (3-9 FG's) and then in the 2nd half after he forced an out of control drive and wanted a foul bailout from the refs, he got T-'ed up. That was a trip to the bench for CV, I think for the rest of the game, in my eyes not just from the T but because he was stopping ball movement and playing hero ball, which is not gonna be tolerated because it leads to losing.

As DH mentioned the rebounding was pretty atrocious despite the numbers adv. (43-38), I don't think Polley or Carlton have enough fight in them. Even a few times when rebounds were controlled they were soft with it, didn't own it, got it knocked out of their hands or just haphazardly rushed a pass to the nearest guard that got picked off. Some real unaware zombie sh*t. This wont work against the big boy teams so I'm glad Hurley address that strait on with conviction about some "war" drills this week in his post game. Also it was a breath of fresh air to see someone engaged on the sideline, fighting for calls, working the refs throughout and coaching his team. Not sitting there in his $1000 suits ( pouting when stuff went wrong, yeah you KO ) with his 2 yes men looking like 3 blind mice.

Regarding B. Adams.... bigger guard which I like if your gonna play 3 of them. Seems to have a mature game, nothing flashy, took what was open after good ball movement (60% on 3's). Also regarding the break I liked the willingness to share the ball for the best shot/lay-up, another flaw in last years team. Jalen had an effective game off the bench after a few weak moments/ poor passes at the start. Hurley covered most of the stuff in his interview above. Overall the frontcourt is a work in progress, both on help D vs. pressure by the guards( when they don't stay in front of their man) and in position rebounding when the ball goes up. Who ever can man-up in those 2 area's will see their PT increase. And it's certainly not a complete team like DH said but it's being molded to play the right way.

SCSU vs. Uconn Box Score

Last edited:
Good report Blades. I guess I didn’t expect UConn to be great on the boards but maybe when Yakwe is in the rotation he will help in the areas you mentioned. It’s very nice to have 5 guards who can score. CV has to be better with his decisions - I still like him though.

CV is either gonna learn or be relegated to the 5th guard. 2 of his 3( for 9) makes where uncontested, ahead of the field dunks. His scoring avg. last year because of volume shooting was fool gold. I think him and Hurley are gonna clash(there was some report of a heated moments between them in the secret scrimmage) because CV thinks he's better than he is. And CV isn't gonna win this argument and he's not right. If CV learns to move the ball, stops taking forced off balance shots and accepts taking what the D gives him after good ball movement ( like a true FR already understands) and plays tough D like he's good at.... the team will be better off for it.

Last edited:
Just found this on youtube, thanks Storrs South:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT