Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Projected Starters in bold
5- Enoch? Durham, Cobb, Carlton
4- Larrier (Durham?) Cobb, Diarra
3- Jackson Polley
2 -Adams Vital
1- Gilbert Ashton-Langford

UConn seems set at the 1, 2 and 3 with solid depth. To me the unsettled positions are 4 and 5. While Larrier and Enoch seem to me to be the most likely starters, Larrier would be a stretch 4 and is probably better at the 3, although he has the size, athelticism and versatility to play either spot. Enoch would seem to be the most likely starter at the 5, but only based on his experience, which I think isn't really deserved, because he is a 15 minute per game bench guy based on his current production/efficiency. Carlton would seem to be a longshot to start, but who knows, given the guys he is competing with. Cobb, who like Enoch seems like possibly a useful bench player at best, is another longshot. On paper both the 4 and 5 positions are just a lot of question marks and no clear answers.

You could start 3 guards with Vital and bring Jackson off the bench. Depending on the match up.

I wish Jackson was more physical/better rebounder and could play some stretch 4. But he's more athletic than I imagined and can get his own shot if needed.

I agree Larrier may have to play the 4, but is he equipped to do so?

We are going to have to get a contribution from one of Cobb and Diarra. And Steve and Durham have to take a huge step forward.

Projected Starters in bold
3- Jackson Polley
2 -Adams Vital
1- Gilbert Ashton-Langford

There's not enough shooting to be effective as a small ball team
The front line is incredibly weak on the boards if you play the above lineup.
I'm saddened this is the roster

17-18 = NIT and a new coach

Calhoun, you really don't think Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Vital and Larrier will knock down shots?

I understand worrying about The 4 and the 5 defensively and rebounding wise. But teams are going to have to guard us too and we'll have plenty of mismatches.

The thing I'm most interested in is if Larrier will do some of the heavy lifting. Rebounding, defense, banging down low, setting picks, etc... I'm skeptical off of the small sample we saw of him.

Calhoun, you really don't think Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Vital and Larrier will knock down shots?

I understand worrying about The 4 and the 5 defensively and rebounding wise. But teams are going to have to guard us too and we'll have plenty of mismatches.

The thing I'm most interested in is if Larrier will do some of the heavy lifting. Rebounding, defense, banging down low, setting picks, etc... I'm skeptical off of the small sample we saw of him.

Look at the statistics, they are all low % 3 line shooters with the exception of Jackson
There will need to be serious improvement which I dont see
None of these guys I would consider good natural shooters

We are not embracing what wins games today with the appropriate talent
There are no bigs that can shoot a lick either
The Amidah Brimah's of the world dont cut it in today's game

Adams: 35% from 3
Larrier: 26% his frosh year at VCU, 30% in his brief stint here
Vital: 36%
GIlbert is not a shooter

Look at every team seeded 1 or 2 - you'll find volume 3 point shooters at or above 40%

Don't pay attention to that SyraLOSE homer... his acumen is that of one of Boeheims infected ballsack!

KSTW.... I think that lineup may start the season at this point. But don't discount Durham starting at the 4 and Larrier at the 3 to give us a long team with mismatches. Vital will be sixth man followed by Jackson both will play plenty. Also look for MAL to play at both guard spots unless we get a little taller combo guard... whether 5th year transfer juco who can score. If that happens than MAL will play mostly backup pg.

I am most excited about practices now being competitive at all spots and coach now had legitimate kids to put in and out of games a la the quick hook!

Travis Ilian you are on notice sir!!!! :)

Don't pay attention to that SyraLOSE homer... his acumen is that of one of Boeheims infected ballsack!

Translation
I cannot dispute the statistics showing all players on the roster with the exception of Jackson are low % 3point shooters, so I will just call CFP a "SyraLOSE" homer, even though he graduated from UCONN and has been a season ticket holder for 19 years.

wake up and grow up children

Gilbert was a career 50+% shooter in HS. I'm going to say the three games he played here was too small a sample to judge. Jackson, for example, was horrible from behind the arc until we started league play and he was coming in with the reputation of a marksman.

The norm for players is to improve as their careers progress. Maybe it's confidence, better shot selection, better technique, etc... shot making and perimeter shooting won't be a weakness going into the year imo.

Gilbert was a very good 3 point shooter in high school but in the 2 exhibitions and 3 games he played, he really didn't hit any jumpers and the ones he took looked a little awkward to me. I suspect Jackson, Adams and Vital will be the primary 3 point threats. Jalen actually has very good form but had tired legs in many games due to workload, which diluted his stats beyond what they really should have been.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Exactly guys just let the hater hate.... we ain't got time for that!

We have plenty of shot makers shooters and scores /playmakers

Just need that typical grittiness from either Larrier or our platoon of bigs consistntely and next year should be fine.

What about the starters looking like.

3- Jackson Polley
2 -Vital Ashton-Langford
1- Adams Gilbert

As much as I love Vital, I don't see him starting over Gilbert. It would infuse better 3 point shooting but Gilbert's handle and penetration ability are so superior he has to start. He and Jalen would give UConn a 2 point guard attack with two guys who can get to any spot on the floor any time they want and create their own shot and shots for others. I also don't see MAL as a backup 2 guard, with the scouting report on him being that he is a superior slasher and passer who struggles with shooting.

I agree that Gilbert and Adams will be the backcourt. The wing/SF/3rd guard will come down to Vital or Jackson. He may want Vitals energy off the bench, but he needs to play starters minutes.

And I'd force feed Durham minutes early even if that meant a loss or two. We are going to need him in March.

Gilbert was a very good 3 point shooter in high school but in the 2 exhibitions and 3 games he played, he really didn't hit any jumpers and the ones he took looked a little awkward to me. I suspect Jackson, Adams and Vital will be the primary 3 point threats. Jalen actually has very good form but had tired legs in many games due to workload, which diluted his stats beyond what they really should have been.

Jalen has turned into a very good set 3 point shooter. His efficiency drops significantly when he shoots off the dribble.

That's why I think Jalen will be an even more effective scorer when Alterique comes back and plays the role of point. KO has always maintained Alterique is the point and Jalen is the scoring guard.

Really excited for the backcourt next year!

I agree that Gilbert and Adams will be the backcourt. The wing/SF/3rd guard will come down to Vital or Jackson. He may want Vitals energy off the bench, but he needs to play starters minutes.

And I'd force feed Durham minutes early even if that meant a loss or two. We are going to need him in March.

Only bad thing about that is we can't really afford an early loss or two playing in the AAC.

Reactions: USNA90
12, that is true after what they did to SMU and Cinn. 25-8, 24-9 probably makes you an 8-9 seed.

I think Vital would be a great sixth man for us. It will take some time for Alterique and Jalen to develop some chemistry but those two are too talented and will be a force. The depth is there for this team from a guard/wing perspective, but inside is where I am most concerned. We have seen what Enoch has done in 2 years at UConn (next to nothing) and Durham is a very raw player who needs more development as well. Even with Brimah and Facey, we were getting exposed a lot inside and constantly having foul trouble. Hopefully Cobb can make a big impact for us and assert himself in the starting lineup as a physical big. If everyone can stay healthy and the type of talent we have coming back, we have a legit chance to be the the best team in the AAC.

Can't wait for next year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT