ADVERTISEMENT

UConn in to see 2017 JUCO Raynere Thornton tonight

Looks like this is the 2nd reported visit. Visited him on 12/1 too:

Good. Definitely will need someone with a little high level experience to come in and board. Glad they are looking at that.

We will be young next year in the front court. Enoch will be a junior... but any how this type of player will be needed to replace at least what Facey is bringing

This guy scores 10 PPG in a team that scores 100+ and is only shooting 45% which doesn't really impress me given his competition. Maybe he could replace Facey but that's about it. Enoch is really hurting this program by not improving all that much.

Enoch showing us what Brimah did.......this staff cant develop players.

Ever stop of think thats why DD, and DH left early when their draft stock wasnt high ?

Ever stop of think thats why DD, and DH left early when their draft stock wasnt high ?

Ever stop and think you have no idea what you're talking about?

I'm not going to let a single one of these ridiculous comments go unchallenged.

Amida is one of the best defensive centers in all of college basketball, a projected 1st round draft pick and this team is infinitely better when he's on the floor.

Reactions: UconNell

Hamilton just didn't want to do the college thing anymore. He just wanted to play basketball. Better he went then hurt UConn APR

Daniels won a champion and the whole team was more or less graduating. He took a chance at his dream can't fault him.

Kemba and Bazz both say ollie had the biggest impact on their development in college.

Amida and facey were newish to basketball and even Enoch to an extent. It takes playing the game a lot to get those natural instincts

Anderson, I have read a few of your posts. Mostly garbage so not offended at all. Brimah is FAR FROM one of the countries best defenders. My goodness what an incredibly uneducated statement that is. He has gotten worse every year he has been here. He was a pretty decent freshman and has gotten worse each year there after.

As for Bazz and Walker talking about Ollie in a good light.....sure when Ollie wasnt running the team he was a good mentor for a couple already great guards.

Ollie is a not proving to be a good developer or game planner. Our offense is terrible, defense just as bad. Hard to watch.

I mentally give that post an F.

It's filled with nonsense and you can't even dance to it.

They're playing bad d, Bazz & Boat "ready"? Now I know you have no idea what you're watching

Reactions: UconNell
Just MHO, but it would seem difficult to be one of the best college defensive centers if u don't even understand how to box out. I love AB. Great passion, great teammate, high motor...but I have to put my 2 cents in here. Please watch his positioning while trying to box out. It's incredibly frustrating to watch him try & take a charge or over commit only to let him man get an easy put back cuz he had absolutely no shot at blocking or even adjust a shot on the other side of the court.

Now, I respect everyone opinion in here...and why people get nasty in here I'll never understand (we all want the same things) but IMHO the huskies are not better off with AB in, I will bet anyone who really thinks he's gonnagetdrafted in the 1st round dinner at Gino's. No way, no how. I think he actually tried his 1st post move today. But, like HT, when he goes up against anyone in his size range who is talented, he's gotten eaten alive.

It's great that he can block shits & def a crowd pleaser. But how many of those blocks have we gotten back? He just doesn't have s high on court IQ. And, we can certainly argue about how valuable he is while on the court, the fact is he is foul probe and will not be able to help with that theory simply cuz he's not in games long enough.

Again, just one person's opinion. No disrespect to anyone who thinks differently. For me, someone in their 4thyear needs to have some semblance of a post game, and a higher hoops IQ. Great guy & teammate though.

Reactions: andersonfro
Just MHO, but it would seem difficult to be one of the best college defensive centers if u don't even understand how to box out. I love AB. Great passion, great teammate, high motor...but I have to put my 2 cents in here. Please watch his positioning while trying to box out. It's incredibly frustrating to watch him try & take a charge or over commit only to let him man get an easy put back cuz he had absolutely no shot at blocking or even adjust a shot on the other side of the court.

Now, I respect everyone opinion in here...and why people get nasty in here I'll never understand (we all want the same things) but IMHO the huskies are not better off with AB in, I will bet anyone who really thinks he's gonnagetdrafted in the 1st round dinner at Gino's. No way, no how. I think he actually tried his 1st post move today. But, like HT, when he goes up against anyone in his size range who is talented, he's gotten eaten alive.

It's great that he can block shits & def a crowd pleaser. But how many of those blocks have we gotten back? He just doesn't have s high on court IQ. And, we can certainly argue about how valuable he is while on the court, the fact is he is foul probe and will not be able to help with that theory simply cuz he's not in games long enough.

Again, just one person's opinion. No disrespect to anyone who thinks differently. For me, someone in their 4thyear needs to have some semblance of a post game, and a higher hoops IQ. Great guy & teammate though.

I agree with most of what you say but his shotblocking and intimidation is a factor in most games. Sadly he does disappear against the bigger physical teams like in the game against Duke 2 years ago- 0 points and sat the whole game saddled with foul trouble. I expect nothing from him in big games. The only big game performance he has had was against SMU last year at home.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Declaring him best defense at center was absolutely hyperbolic on my part but I get banged up when I see him getting shit on.

He's very solid on D, the Huskies are holding opponents to ~33%. That's got an awful lot to do with Amida.

As far as his draft position goes, i was strictly speaking based on the mocks. Not sure what I'm allowed to link here...a 7ft rim protector is huge for NBA teams, I don't find late 1st to be too surprising

I agree with most of what you say but his shotblocking and intimidation is a factor in most games. Sadly he does disappear against the bigger physical teams like in the game against Duke 2 years ago- 0 points and sat the whole game saddled with foul trouble. I expect nothing from him in big games. The only big game performance he has had was against SMU last year at home.

Mmmm...I was at that game...I was a few beers in but the way I recall it everyone in our section was in agreement that Amida got jobbed by the refs in the 1st half. The 2nd half was the reason they make designated drivers. At any rate the kid he was going up against has done that to NBA centers more than once. Bad games happen Particularly against centers like Okafor

Reactions: Ozzie3178
He had zero points that game yeah it was Okafor but that was a huge game and Brimah was a complete no show and the prior game he had dropped 40 points on Coppin State. It was a step up in competition. It's always easy to blame the refs. Brimah has a career long pattern of not being able to stay on the floor so is it the refs or is it him?

I'm not trying to blame the refs for his foul trouble, that particular game he both got jobbed AND more importantly went up against a lottery pick.

I think it's fair to say you (the royal "you) thought he'd be more by now, criticisms about rebounding and foul trouble are fair and warranted imo.

But he's young to the game & his value is a lot more than a lot of people want to give him credit for. He's improved as the season has worn and he's played well this year.

Let's all hope Brimah continues to improve especially in the area of, please try and stay on the floor. Was it really necessary for him to get in foul trouble against the team they played today? There were no Okafors out there that I could see. And he was playing well when on the floor.

One other thing about Amida following a 40 point performance with a zero point performance.

KO' offense, until this year, has been absolutely garbage. This is the 1st year we've seen a motion offense and not coincidentally this is the 1st year these guys have consistently gotten open looks. The first 2-3 games of THIS year was all pick & roll and the bigs were not at all included in the offense. You can't blame bigs for lack of opportunity.

This year it's a whole different situation, they've been running that motion play and everyone is getting looks so no excuses but historically the lack of production is on the coach.

Let's all hope Brimah continues to improve especially in the area of, please try and stay on the floor. Was it really necessary for him to get in foul trouble against the team they played today? There were no Okafors out there that I could see. And he was playing well when on the floor.

Haven't seen the game yet had family business but I'm going to agree on your larger point.

The offense actually looked very good today, it was the best it's been this year. Brimah had more than his share of looks and could have had a big game today, but benched himself with foul trouble. Jalen did a superb job today of looking for and finding Brimah with lob passes for dunks against the zone. It would have continued if Brimah did not get in foul trouble because NFU had nobody to stop it. They had one incredible guard who UConn played a box and one on using Vitale to chase him, but inside NFU had nothing.

Reactions: jhc08002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT