ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Houston

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
The line on this one is Houston -2.5. In looking at Houston's stats they are a deep team- 10 players averaging over 10 minutes per game- and they score 80 a game. However they are not a good 3 point shooting team so UConn might be able to get away with playing a lot of zone to hide the interior defensive deficiencies that have become apparent. In looking at Houston's results, although they are 13-3 the only very impressive win they have is the 27 point win at Temple. No wins over top 25 teams. They are coming off an 11 point loss at Cincy and they also lost at home to Grand Canyon by 11 and on the road at Rhode Island by 10.

There is no way to predict what will happen at this point. It would not surprise me if UConn rebounds from the debacle at Tulsa and wins, nor would another late collapse surprise me, as this is a deep Houston squad and as we have seen, UConn just is not as deep as we had hoped, and right now is really a 6 man team. Another bad loss would be damaging.

The grand Canyon game was in a ballroom in Vegas not at home. The lopes aren't a bad team 16-2 with a couple wins of middle of the pack teams

The line on this one is Houston -2.5.

Saw that as the opener... now some of the books have it as a pick em' or Uconn as the favorite......Las Vegas Odds
plus Uconn is 0-2 in Houston vs. worse teams...I'm not not expecting much from what we've seen lately... despite the money flippin' the line ..... towards Uconn

Last edited:
Blades UConn now -1 as we approach game time. Unfortunately I am going to miss the game. I thought it was on SNY and instead it's on CBS Sports Network and I can't leave home today. So you guys will need to fill me in. Probably just as well that I am not getting that game because I just realized I am low on Tums and Rolaids and they are needed for the heartburn I have had watching recent games.

I'm going to watch now, since Kevin Ollie is apparently coaching the Seahawks :D

They finally play some D and rebound and their offense looks like a pee wee team playing on a 10 foot hoop for the first time. It's 2009/10 all over again.

So two things seem to be coming around as truths I wasn't aware of:

1. Regardless of skill level, of which I think has not advanced, Brimah makes a difference just being there. I really thought anyone could replace him but you can tell the confidence other offenses have when he is not there. Nolan/Facey/Wilson are TERRIBLE stand ins.

2. Ollie rode Bazz/Boat/Daniels/Giff to a title and his coaching ability needs to be questioned.

Adams is getting worse as well. Is Cassell alive?

And as poorly coached as we are, I over rated the talent. We have no nba players right now. Miller is the closest thing.

Guys am I reading this correctly that Purvis was benched in favor of Adams? It seems Hamilton is 4-12 and thus improves to now 10 for his last 48. He has gotten over 20% FGs for the last 5 games. It was a big hump to get over.

Hopefully we can point to this game down 8 and finished it +20 and got a W on the road as a turning point.

Still lots of warts, but finally something to be encouraged by.

My buddy who was watching texted me and said Houston went cold and UConn went on a huge end of game run to win, like 18-5, opposite of Tulsa game. What happened?????? I did not see the game.

Best close out win of the year, limit the bad plays and lock down on D......loved the heads up full court passes for chip'ees by Sterling ( the closer) Gibbs and especially Adams when they had him trapped in the back court.....smart aware BB and no TO's in the last 8 minutes, looked like a different team.

Last edited:
Guys UConn wins the boards 41-33 and the stats show Houston shot poorly 33% FGs and 8-25 on 3s so it sounds like UConn played zone and they shot exactly what they shoot on the season from 3. Am I right?

Guys UConn wins the boards 41-33 and the stats show Houston shot poorly 33% FGs and 8-25 on 3s so it sounds like UConn played zone and they shot exactly what they shoot on the season from 3. Am I right?

They used some zone, but basically man in the 2nd when they made the run 28-8 run. Also Adams made some mistakes but he understands how to reverse the flow and create offense as a FR better than anything Purvis has learned in 4 years. Plus he actually has enough body control to change what he's doing on a drive. But he still has FR stuff to clean-up.

Last edited:
That's how U play and close out a game in front of the Oz man!!!

Needed that win considered were were 0-2 here preciously!!

About time Jalen started and played a lot at the lead guard spot handling with him and DHam our best creators.

Just need more consistency from these guys....

That's how U play and close out a game in front of the Oz man!!!

Needed that win considered were were 0-2 here preciously!!

About time Jalen started and played a lot at the lead guard spot handling with him and DHam our best creators.

Just need more consistency from these guys....

About time OZ after the last 2 losses in H-Town.....like they said in the movie "COLORS"...." Yo Holmes we owe you one ! "

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Final Stats

hmmm, so Purvis goes 0-5 with 0 assts and 3 TO's but Uconn still wins....interesting... I guess it shows it's about eliminating bad shots and plays at key moments.

Last edited:
Next 3 games are at home vs. Tulane, Georgetown and Cincy, then at UCF, which at the moment is 3-1 in AAC action, 9-6 overall. By the time UConn gets through those 4 games, Brimah might be back.

The only two teams winless in AAC action are ECU and USF, which are 0-5 and 0-6 respectively. Tulane is 1-5, and the other 7 teams are all at 3-3 or better. UConn tied with Houston and Tulsa for 5th place at 3-2.

Blades is right Khalid, Adams made a few wow plays but also some wtf stuff.

Purvis has caught the Hamilton funk. And when he's not shooting well and scoring, his bb iq and FT shooting isn't good enough to merit PT.

Hamilton was a mixed bag. What's been surprising in this slump is how unathletic he looks and he is really close to picking up offensive fouls pushing off with his off hand when he drives.

Nolan is so clumsy offensively, but he contributes defensively and on the boards today.

Basically our veteran transfers made plays down the stretch. Gibbs made two big 3's to give us a little working margin and Miller had a sweet turnaround jump shot and a few dunks late.

Houston shot well during the middle 20 minutes when they built an 8 point lead, but were frigid early and late and I'd like to think we had a little to do with that.

If we are going to finish the year strong, we need guys like Hamilton, Purvis and Adams to be solid even when they are struggling, instead of horrific.

So is Adams now entrenched as the starting point guard, and Purvis is entrenched on the bench? This is what I thought would happen at the beginning of the year, but then Adams didn't look ready, and Purvis shot the ball very well for the first 13-14 games. At this point I think there is nothing to lose with starting Adams and living with all his WTF TOs. The offense cannot go back to what it was in the Tulsa game which was a truly horrific and abominable performance.

Ozzie has previously suggested Purvis mentally cannot handle being on the bench. The coaches have to figure out a way to manage his head, and at this point maybe Hamilton's as well. Hamilton 10-49 FGs in 5 AAC games, just over 20%. However Craig Austrie shot low 20s for a half season after Dyson went down and kept his staring job and Hamilton is going to keep his because of his rebounding and passing skills, but this has to be turned around. KO says he shoots well in practice.

Much better defense in the second half; the effort was finally there and they forced crucial turnovers down the stretch. Hamilton finally attacking the basket more and drawing fouls is the best way for him to get points. Gibbs once again bails us out as he is our best player right now; without him we would be in a lot of trouble. We need to get Shonn Miller more involved in pick-and-roll situations like we did with Brimah in the beginning of the year. The key for us is getting transition baskets and dictating the pace of the game. We have some time to rest and hopefully we can get a solid win at home against Tulane on Monday and Georgetown next weekend.

Last edited:
Idk if it will forever be entrenched that Purv will stay on the bench as I prefer Adams starts for Gibbs and Gibbs comes in with fresh legs to knock down shots and hopefully finish at the rim which he still is terrible at, also then will not be leaned upon to stay in front of his man on D which needs a lot of work. However both are way better than Rodney if he plays like he did today. He will stay on the bench but it won't work as i mentioned before but if we win with it. I'm good :D

Idk if it will forever be entrenched that Purv will stay on the bench as I prefer Adams starts for Gibbs and Gibbs comes in with fresh legs to knock down shots and hopefully finish at the rim which he still is terrible at, also then will not be leaned upon to stay in front of his man on D which needs a lot of work. However both are way better than Rodney if he plays like he did today. He will stay on the bench but it won't work as i mentioned before but if we win with it. I'm good :D
Question is will it be good with Rodney. He responded horribly to the benching, not looking comfortable at all. I found it odd that Purvis was removed from the starting lineup after one bad game this year.

Not sure how the starting lineup will be moving forward but I hope KO can manage his players successfully

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT