ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Girls Take Tulane Down, Big

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Not bad - doubling up by 94-47 a 20 win team on the road.

MoJeff had 8 steals in this one, not playing much of the game. UConn tonight had 26 assists, 18 steals and 10 TOs. Not bad. 56% FGs, 90% on FTs, 11-28 on 3s (just under 40%). I can't find any bad stuff in the boxscore. Nothing, except 8 personal fouls is kind of high for UConn.

The half court set................that is the problem area for us if we have one and I think we do. Not going to come into play early but in the last two games if we are cold that is where we can lose like at Stanford.

It was a TV gal last night who brought it up and it stuck with me, she was right. Even against Tulane we would get bogged down in the half court if we weren't running. Now eventually we get a couple O-boards and it works but if we are cold and the other team is hot (Stanford) it makes for a closer game.

There hasn't been a team that UConn hasn't been able to speed up, even South Carolina, which had superior size and athleticism in the front court. However, I agree that this is the way to play UConn - don't let them run, grind them and be physical. Tulane tried a zone last night, and that led to 11-28 on 3s (a rather high number of attempts). UConn has good 3 point shooters to counter zone defenses. A couple teams have been semi-successful grinding and pounding UConn, among them Stanford. However the only reason UConn lost to Stanford is because of terrible defense by Chong, who isn't starting anymore and who also improved her D since that game. We have not seen a single team burn UConn with guard penetration like that since the Stanford game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT