ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Girls Shoot 72.2% FGs, 2nd Highest In Program History

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
The bench largely botched the chances to eclipse the record 72.6% FG game vs St. John's, a game I remember back in 2001.

UConn starters all played great in this game, as did Azure Stevens and Megan Walker who were very stellar off the bench. 28 assists on 39 made baskets, speaks for itself.

The deep bench was dismal except for Boutaly Camara, who made two strong looking bank shots at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Kia held the second leading scorer in the conference to 2 points. :D Quiet greatness.

And the other senior would have had an easy triple double if she played more.

Great coaches teams get better as the year progresses. You wouldn't know that, if you only root for the boys the last three years.

I took due note of Kia's defense, and she also drained a bunch of 3s. Kia's defense, while not as spectacular as Gabby's often is, is as good a fundamental defense as any UConn guard has played.

One of the reasons UConn shot 72.2% is that they were running a layup drill off their defense, as they had numerous easy baskets off steals and TOs by Tulane. Tulane had an inordinate number of passes picked off in the passing lanes. Against other teams they probably get away with it, but those passes end up going the other way against UConn.

I was encouraged by the play of Walker and Camara off the bench, hopefully they will both see time against South Carolina Thursday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT