ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Football/This Season

billnat

May 10, 2006
I guess everyone has pack it in by the looks of this board. I sure hope the basketball season goes better. GO HUSKIES!
This post was edited on 10/16 7:34 PM by billnat

" If you want to be realistic, this season is virtually lost. At 0-5, there will be no Beef O'Brady's Bowl. If Tim Boyle shows
real progress, UConn fans can chalk that up as a victory. If the offensive line returns to its Foley roots, if it proves the
238-yard bullying of USF wasn't just a fluke against a lousy team, count that, too."

The statement above by the CT Post's Duffy just about sums it up. The home fans were great last Saturday, nearly
a sell out for Uconn's 0-5 team vs. a very bad USF team. I could feel the excitement with all the changes and Boyle looks
the part and reminds me of a young Orlovsky. (Who I watched take his lumps as a FR at Memorial Stadium being worked
in and out with Keron Henry as the Huskies went 2-9 )

Then reality set in by the end of the game when you see this new and improved version put up 10 measly points vs. one
of the worst defenses in the AAC. A team who gave up 53 points to FCS McNeese St. All despite Uconn coming out with
their first 200 yd plus rushing effort since Pasqualoni's very first Uconn game vs. FCS Fordham over 2 years ago. Uconn
not having Shakim Phillips was a major problem again. Foxx was terrible and Davis is the only reliable receiver, but that's
nothing new.

And as has been the case all season long a bad TO by the QB because of weak pass blocking turns into 6 points for the
opponent. In this case it was the killer because USF was so bad on offense it was their only TD and won the game for
them. At the end of the day Boyle is the future and he has the height, feet and arm to be something special. I also liked
that TJ finally ran some plays that let him slide out of the pocket which allows the QB to use his feet. Something PP
seldom allowed with GDL in charge. But this was all vs. USF so who knows what to think.

The next 3 weeks are gonna be alot tougher so TB should learn alot while he takes his lumps. ( like knowing that a
2 minute drill isn't a 5 minute drill in crunch time so you need to spike the ball or pass to the sidelines). I'll be watching
while hoping for the best and decent pass protection.

Boyle had the coaching staff lob him a USF home game meatball and he struck out swinging with the help of the usual
cast of characters. So as Duffy says above "this season is virtually lost" but if Timmy shows progress for the future ( as
the next Orlovsky or if a few FR WR's who can catch step up) that's the only real victory. Because just like PP and GDL...
we don't even know if Foley will be around next year.

Full article- Kevin Duffy: Foley's return brings life to UConn's rushing attack ..
This post was edited on 10/18 12:19 PM by the Blades

Blades! Kevin Duffy's article and what you said were pretty much on the money. The one thing that you mention just slighly was all the drop passes You mention Fox who caught one of 8 passes thrown to him, 2 of which should have been TD'S and how about the the one in the end zone to back up TE Parker that hit him right in the hands. You and i could have caught that one. All total they drop something like 12 or 13 fairly easy passes and if they had caught 4 or 5 of them UConn wins by a couple of touchdowns. Its great that Boyle and the coaching staff didn't make a big issue of it, but to all of us who saw it, that was the biggest reason they loss. GO HUSKIES!
This post was edited on 10/18 8:00 PM by billnat

Bill...
I already read your other post that said the same thing, I chose to ignore it.... the WR's didn't suddenly get
worse because all of a sudden Boyle is out there. This has been going on all year and Whitmer was still completing
55 % of his passes. First it was 10 now it's 12-13 drops. Yeah maybe including 5-6 that USF dropped because Boyle
could have been picked off that many times but USF DB's were as bad as Foxx. They've been dropping passes on the
other kid all year long and Boyle has a long way to go. I also saw a ton of incompletions against a bad team and
with hardly any pressure from their DL. And he fumbled for a TD on one of those times. ( though I was surprised the
fumbled pass or the attempted recovery by the OL wasn't reviewed by TV) Plus Uconn gave him a balanced attack
with some running yds the first time this year to keep the D honest.

But we've already had this conversation.... your all in and pro-Boyle so you want to overlook the obvious like when he had
Foxx open by 20 yds on the first TD miss and instead of putting some air under the ball he made him layout to catch it.
Or like when he had no clue how to run a 2 minute drill when the game was on the line.

Weist did make an issue of some drops because his job is on the line. He wasn't happy and he's making more changes
by burning redshirts left and right with more time for some new FR WR's tomorrow. But again USF is one of the worse
defenses Uconn will play this year so give the Boyle kid some time and let him win a game or overcome some adversity
before you start gloating about what could have been.

This post was edited on 10/18 9:34 PM by the Blades

Blades! the So. Florida defence must have improved, they beat Cincinnati 26 to 18 and their defence score 23 points. They have won two games without the offence scoring a touch down. Your pro CW and i'm looking to the future with Boyle. I will admit the recievers didn't help CW either, they have been bad all year. Davis and Phllips are good. but with Philips out their in a world of hurt. GO HUSKIES!

This post was edited on 10/19 7:14 AM by billnat

This post was edited on 10/19 7:19 AM by billnat

Originally posted by billnat:
. Your pro CW and i'm looking to the future with Boyle. I will admit the recievers didn't help CW either, they have been bad all year. Davis and Phllips are good. but with Philips out their in a world of hurt. GO HUSKIES!
This is kind of my point, Bill. I look at playing Boyle now with the same cast of characters( and Phillips out) as
not looking to the future but "selling the future" in a season going nowhere. Boyle's gonna have a learning curve and
he's gonna do it on a team with alot of problems.... at this point they already had a QB (55% completion rate) who
just as adequate or maybe ahead of him. We will find out alot more once Boyle ( 34.9 % completion rate in his
first game) plays vs. some higher ranked teams in the next few weeks. Or if he gets more comfortable and
someone other than Davis steps up.

But it's almost deja vu all over again with a tall high profile CT kid ( Orlovsky) being used in his true FR year. The
key difference is Edsall had no one right from the start of DO's FR year because Ryan Tracey who was the starter
left the team and gave up the game right before the season. So he rushed out Orlovsky and Keron Henry, who later
became a WR because he wasn't a very good QB. In that case RE was forced to waste a year of Dan O. in a
2-9 D-1 transition year, instead of having him at the back end for the new and expanded Big East.

What Uconn ended up with after Dan O. was probably the worse QB they've had in FBS with Bones running the
offense and later DJ who was another guy who ended up as a WR. It's already done but why waste a year of Boyle
that you will lose down the road when there are so many other problems with this team ? And now they're even
burning the redshirts of some true FR WR's in a year that even a minor bowl seems impossible. If Uconn's coaching
situation was different would a stable head coach be selling the future?

But I did like what I saw from Kivan Taylor in some scrimmages so maybe there is someone better than Matt
Bonislawski down the road for the Huskies. Either way I'll be watching and hoping for the best because I'm a
loyal Uconn fan just like you.
This post was edited on 10/19 10:25 AM by the Blades

I guess it really was deja vu all over again. Good passing yardage numbers by Uconn, but a QB who killed any chance
he had to get his team back into the game by throwing picks every time he seemed to be getting into a rhythm. Plus he
held onto the ball way to long on to many occasions with Uconn's putrid OL( 8 sacks). And I think the DB's and DL played
even worse than they did at Buffalo. Also why do they keep playing a front 4 and 300 lb DE's that can't move against
teams that play a spread offense ? Where's the 3-4, I thought that was the way they were recruiting? The bright spots
were Geremy Davis being himself, a Phillips sighting, Foxx looking a little better and Delorenzo still being able to plow
threw people for extra yardage.

Plus McCombs should never see another snap as anything but a change of pace back, his pass blocking nearly got Boyle
killed, besides the fact that he can't get a thing unless he has a hole as big as the Holland Tunnel. And he still thinks he
should run kicks back like he's Nick Williams when he never gets anything close to touchback yardage. Give me Max D
all day instead of that kid or burn Marriner's redshirt while their at it too....... because they've seemed to burn every other
RS of the skill position players. Uconn's has to find some OL help from Juco's or grad players for Boyle to have a chance
to develop. He looks the part, seems to have good vision(taller) and better finesse on his short passes than Whitmer but
he's never gonna reach his potential behind the lack of OL depth that's on this team now.

This post was edited on 10/20 9:50 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT