ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting UConn Basketball Transfer Portal Big Board

The bigger question is how many scholly slots (of 13) will be open ? A quick inventory would go like this:

If Hawkins and Sanogo turn pro, Tristen Newton and Alleyne both have 1 year of extra eligibility, like Polley and Whaley used in 2021-22, because of the extra Covid year. But who knows if they'll use it/ or stay if they do @ Uconn. Still if you take those 4 off the roster that will leave 12 scholly players next year without any other players transferring out .....( Joey C. is the only Uconn player with 0 years left as a 5 year guy) So theoretically they currently have 16 scholly players available next year....or make that 17 with Richie Springs (who I think mentioned transferring), who can play 2 more years also..

2023-24 (UPDATED 4-17)
GUARDS
Hassan Diarra...................6-2/196....PG .....SR....Queens, NY
Stephon Castle.................6-6/205....CG..... FR....Covington, GA
Solomon Ball....................6-3/185.....PG.....PG....Sharpsburg, MD

WINGS:
Andre Jackson................6-6/210....G-F.....SR...Amsterdam, NY
Apostolos Roumoglou....6-7/200....G-F.....SO....Xanthi, Greece
Jayden Ross.....................6-7/185 ....G-F.....FR...Bristow, VA

FORWARDS
Alex Karaban..................6-8/210........F.....SO...Northborough, MA
Samson Johnson............6-10/215.......F....JR....Lome, Togo
Jaylin Stewart.................6-6/220........F.....FR...Seattle, WA

CENTERS
Donovan Clingan.............7-2/265.....C.....SO...Bristol, CT
Youssouf Singare............7-0/210.....C.....FR...Dix Hills, NY

Last edited:
I suspect Newton will return, Alleyne will not, and there may be one or two others who will leave. That means there might be a scholarship open, or not. It seems like UConn could have a very deep team, again.

I suspect Newton will return, Alleyne will not,
Could be but on the other hand NA may want to stay and play with
"Alleyne also appears close to 2023 UConn commit Stephon Castle, whose father, Stacey, referred to Alleyne as “family” in a tweet during his official visit this week" ........"he helped recruit Alleyne, a Georgia native, to UConn. “My dad played with his dad,” Castle said. “I talked to him, I got him into committing there. "

Well if they both come back, and Springs doesn't transfer, someone will have to be asked to leave just to get down to 13 and there is no room for transfer portal dudes.

My feeling is transfer portal should be used to plug holes or increase depth as needed, but there doesn't seem to be either holes that need to be plugged or depth that is needed.

I am going to miss Joey C- he gave UConn everything they wanted from him. He played his role well, and his defense was actually solid in the NCAA tournament. I very much doubt he will pay for a meal or drinks when he comes back to Connecticut and dines or gets a few drinks here. There will always be a fan who will pick up the check. I would if he came into one of my favorite watering holes.

Reactions: the Blades
The bigger question is how many scholly slots (of 13) will be open ? A quick inventory would go like this:
2023-24 Roster early look=
GUARDS
Hassan Diarra.................6-2/196...PG....SR....Queens, NY ( "playing time dwindled, decisions to make")
Stephon Castle...............6-6/205...CG....FR....Covington, GA
Soloman Ball...................6-3/185....PG....PG....Sharpsburg, MD
Apostolos Roumoglou...6-7/200...G......SO....Xanthi, Greece

WINGS:
Andre Jackson.............6-6/210....G-F.....SR...Amsterdam, NY
Jayden Ross.................6-7/185 ....G-F.....FR...Bristow, VA

FORWARDS
Alex Karaban...............6-8/210........F.....SO...Northborough, MA
Samson Johnson........6-10/215.......F....JR....Lome, Togo ( DH pleaded to "be patient. " It remains to be seen )
Jaylin Stewart.............6-6/220........F.....FR...Seattle, WA
Yarin Hassan..............6-9/205.......F.....SO....Gan Yavne, Israel

CENTERS
Donovan Clingan..........7-2/265.....C.....SO...Bristol, CT
Youssouf Singare.........7-0/210.....C.....FR...Dix Hills, NY
Borges gives his early takes on where spots might open up...

Hawkins, Springs, seem sure things as gone..

Next group could leave- "Diarra, Johnson, Sanogo ( "NBA doesn't value 6-9 centers. but developed a perimeter game & tourney may have boosted his stock"....THOUGH.. "it would be interesting to see how Clingan would feel about being a back-up again")

Also in the mix to stay : Newton ( "an All-NCAA selection, could return as the Huskies' starting point guard...a freshman, even one as talented as Castle, can be risky" ) Alleyne ( "who really turned it up in March, would seem to be a good candidate to return")

Last edited:
If Diarra leaves I would want to bring in a very good small ballhandling guard who can play D and handle the ball against pressure. I think Diarra was a bit more offensively challenged than Hurley had hoped. He cannot shoot, and was basically a poor man's Taliek Brown. A player with a similar skill set that can knock down 34% or so on 3s would be good.......

Regarding Springs, he generally looked serviceable and like a good rebounder when he played, so I never understood why he could not get more than mop up minutes. Now there are just too many guys ahead of him, including Johnson, who looks like a slightly better player.

As far as Sanogo coming back, unless the NIL laws are changed, it makes no sense to do so. If the NIL law is changed, he cashes in based on being NCAA MOP. If he is not allowed to cash in, he should go pro and get whatever contract he can and then provide for his family in Mali.

We were all worried about roster construction last year after the portal transfers, and it worked out pretty good. We have to trust the coaches on these decisions. They have earned and deserve our trust.

If Diarra leaves I would want to bring in a very good small ballhandling guard who can play D and handle the ball against pressure. I think Diarra was a bit more offensively challenged than Hurley had hoped. He cannot shoot, and was basically a poor man's Taliek Brown. A player with a similar skill set that can knock down 34% or so on 3s would be good.....
If things go according to plan, that should be Solo Ball, better athlete with way better upside.

I have seen tape of Ball. He is a big kid, very strong 6'3" body, broad shoulders. I didn't think he was really known for his handle, but he is athletic as hell.

The only thing I noticed with his handle on this tape is he isn't overly left handed and goes to his right well:

Last edited:
Yeah Rivals lists Ball (6-2/180) at Diarra's height but HS kids do grow....and he plays bigger

247 lists him as 6'3", 185 and classifies him as a shooting guard:
I noticed he has very long arms. What I saw on his tape mostly looked like a guy who was a shooting guard or maybe a combo, but not a pure point guard. He might be a better ballhandler than Newton, AJ or Castle. But I am thinking AJ, Newton and Castle will have the majority of the ballhandling responsibilities. TOs with these bigger guards are a concern. Hurley seems deeply enamored with bigger guards and there are some advantages they all bring, as has been discussed. I just hope there is one guy they can count on to be safe with the ball against really really good ball pressure.

The UNC blogs have taken note of Timberlake's visit to UConn:
UNC went in the toilet last year because their 3 point shooting went from 37% as a team the year before to 30%, with basically all of the same guys returning. It's somewhat inexplicable. I have read some of the after season analyses and Caleb Love, who was a big culprit in the poor shooting, went into the transfer portal and reportedly may have been asked to do so by UNC. I watched him play the year before more, and even the year before I thought he was a serial taker of bad shots. A gunner. He is sort of a Rodney "Ferrari" Purvis low basketball IQ trapped in a stud body. Anyway it seems or feels like UNC fans see Timberlake as their salvation and UConn as possibly coming in and stealing him away. You have to love it when the shoe is on the other foot. So many times we watched these ACC schools swoop in and take away our recruits and now they get a taste of their own medicine.

Last edited:
Here is some tape on Timberlake. He is athletic, throws down 2 handed dunks and can shoot off the dribble:

He already told Hurley he is not leaving unless Hurley specifically tells him he has to go. He wants another championship. He has another year to try and improve his shooting which isn't good. All other aspects of his game are NBA ready though and he will be an NBA player.

The UNC blogs have taken note of Timberlake's visit to UConn:
Anyway it seems or feels like UNC fans see Timberlake as their salvation and UConn as possibly coming in and stealing him away. You have to love it when the shoe is on the other foot.
FWIW, from one of these "self proclaimed experts"...do they really know anything ? Nick would certainly be filing a role and PT for 2 rotation guys, Hawkins and Joey C, as a knock down 3pt shooter (41.6% last year).

Last edited:
FWIW, from one of these "self proclaimed experts"...
Exactly, which is why it makes for amusing reading. The point is that UNC sees Timberlake as an essential, "salvation" type recruit who will "heal" the gaping wound and embarrassment of last year's UNC team's 30% 3 point shooting, while UConn on the other hand probably sees Timberlake as a 6th man role player who fills a 3 point shooting need to supplement Karaban, and to some extent Newton. Newton quietly had the best 3 point shooting % of his career - close to 37%- and appeared to shoot better as the season went along. He also started showing some deep range on his shot.

Could be but on the other hand NA may want to stay and play with
"Alleyne also appears close to 2023 UConn commit Stephon Castle, whose father, Stacey, referred to Alleyne as “family” in a tweet during his official visit this week" ........"he helped recruit Alleyne, a Georgia native, to UConn. “My dad played with his dad,” Castle said. “I talked to him, I got him into committing there. "
And another reason for NA to come back.....😍

Last edited:
Is Nahiem dating Nika Muhl?????? Methinks that as between Nahiem playing with Stephon Castle and spending another year at UConn with Nika, the latter was possibly a more decisive factor....lol😍

Last edited:
It seems like back on February 7 when Nahiem compared Tristen Newton to Nika Muhl, the guys all knew something..........

A quick inventory would go like this:
If Hawkins and Sanogo turn pro, Tristen Newton and Alleyne both have 1 year of extra eligibility, But who knows if they'll use it/ or stay if they do @ Uconn. Still if you take those 4 off the roster that will leave 12 scholly players next year without any other players transferring out ...

2023-24
GUARDS
Hassan Diarra...................6-2/196....PG .....SR....Queens, NY
Stephon Castle.................6-6/205....CG..... FR....Covington, GA
Soloman Ball....................6-3/185.....PG.....PG....Sharpsburg, MD
Apostolos Roumoglou....6-7/200....G-F.....SO....Xanthi, Greece

WINGS:
Andre Jackson................6-6/210....G-F.....SR...Amsterdam, NY
Jayden Ross.....................6-7/185 ....G-F.....FR...Bristow, VA

FORWARDS
Alex Karaban..................6-8/210........F.....SO...Northborough, MA
Samson Johnson............6-10/215.......F....JR....Lome, Togo
Jaylin Stewart.................6-6/220........F.....FR...Seattle, WA
Yarin Hassan...................6-9/205.......F.....SO....Gan Yavne, Israel

CENTERS
Donovan Clingan.............7-2/265.....C.....SO...Bristol, CT
Youssouf Singare............7-0/210.....C.....FR...Dix Hills, NY
BUMP...Tristen, your on the clock, or Nick you in ???

Dom from the Courant doesn't seem much better at this than I am, but above is his roster guess ( he lists Newton returning ), but no guess on a portal add, as in the OP. But in his take it sure seems as though the Huskies need another 3pt shooter like Nick, ( hope he enjoys the visit/ possible addition to the roster ) who can also do things like this:

Last edited:
They are losing Joey C and Hawkins, so 3 point production does need to be replaced. Karaban and Newton are capable, but they need a marksman. Timberlake could be that guy, but hopefully they have a plan B and C. As already discussed Timberlake is a sort of a turbocharged, more athletic and bigger version of Joey C, and probably just as good of a marksman.

I worry that Timberlake could be the replacement for Grady Dick at Kansas. He then steps into a starting job. Not sure if he would start at UConn or if that can be promised. Maybe he will be recruited as the Hawkins replacement, but that means Castle and Ball come off the bench. Which is not what they want.

Last edited:
Bamba to Villanova:
What's important here is that Kansas and UNC went hard after this kid and he is coming to the Big East, enriching the conference and, derivatively, UConn. The downside is that Kansas really needs Timberlake now that Gradey Dick is off to the NBA.

Further enrichment of the Big East as Daniss Jenkins follows Pitino from Iona to St. John's:
I thought Pitino's other guard, who was more ready built (6-3/195) for the BE and most thought the better of his 2 starters.....was a lock to St. Johns out of the portal, but .....

Fanta with the tease- Posh Alexander to ? Windsor, CT's, Primo Spears to ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT