ADVERTISEMENT

Two years Out

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
I'm assuming everyone sticks around. Hamilton is my biggest concern. He could break out next year and leave the following off-season. I suppose Purvis That said, we will have a large senior class.

Purvis
Samuel
Brimah
Facey
Cassel

Combine that with Hamilton, Rock, the new PG, and the big kid from Stamford.

That should be 8 or 9 guys that can play and probably 3 stars. They should be seasoned and tough to beat.

Can't be the champs every year.

ND
I think the only player that has a better than average chance of leaving after next season is DHam. I think he has the solid support around him he needs with his brothers but he has the ability to play himself into a very high draft choice and if that's the case...

Jalen Adams will be interesting but need to see him play in college 1st b4 i give any opinion. Everyone else on this roster, IMHO, will be 4 year players...but it's always fun watching how it turns out.

Hamilton has a long way to go. He has to improve his 3 point shooting and reduce his turnovers. He is a pretty good young player. Recall that his older brother Jordan left after 2 years at Texas and he is a deep bench player in the NBA. If that isn't writing on the wall I don't know what is.

I would argue he's further along that his brother at the same stage and just because his brother is sitting in the bench doesn't mean anything other than he will have people around him who understand the process. What's the objective for these kids anyway? Is it to be an NBA star...or play hoops for a living AND get paid a whole bunch of $?

And, IMHO, based on his ability to transition from high school to major college ball, I don't think that it would be a shocker if it happens. Not to me anyway. Now...I don't WANT him to go for selfish reasons, but not sure if he'll call me snd ask my opinion.
I guess what I'm saying is he's certainly not a given to leave after next season, but looking up and down the roster he's be my only concern.

I should clarify that Jordan Hamilton spent a large chunk of this season in the NBA D-League. He is now on the 2nd of two succesive 10 day contracts that he signed with the LA Clippers. The Clippers signed him because they have had some major injury issues lately, so for me to call Jordan Hamilton a deep bench player might not be totally fair or accurate. What he is, at the moment, is a player without a steady job who was plucked off the scrap heap. And is now working on a 10 day contract. This might be a stop gap until someone gets healthy, not really sure.

Danny probably does have more potential than Jordan and it would be best for him to stay a few years to develop it. Most of the UConn guys who went early appropriately left early. Some who stayed (Dyson and Robinson) never amounted to anything in the NBA although Robinson has played decently in the Canadian league.

I'm not giving up on next year. A Few things will have to go right.

1. Adams will have to be college ready. Run the club, play defense and score when needed.
2. Purvis becomes more consistent/efficient. Obviously better at the ft line.
3. Hamilton turns into a superstar. I think this is most likely to happen.

Brimah could gain weight/strength to keep him from constant foul trouble. Landing Stone will also help. But if the three players above flourish, we'll be back to playing meaningful games in late March, because the supporting cast is good and experienced. Nolan gives you post defense. Lubin is a big body to bang. Faceys a smooth 3/4 with a developing jump shot. Brimah has some post potential and can shoot it. We know how he alters shots. Calhoun is a gunner with 3pt ability. Samuel provides defense and energy. Cassell knows how to play and should shoot better from 3 next year. Enoch gives you more depth up front as a stretch 4.

A lot to work with, but the 5 *'s have to play like 5 stars consistently. If they do, it will be a typical uconn year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT