ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa thread

Calhoun fouls on last second shot and I have no clue why Purvis is not out there. Samuels just doesn't do anything for me out there on the offensive end.

Promptly he clanks a jumper and then gets it stripped on a break away.......... terrible offensive player.

Facey with a point blank BRICK............... this is a horrid 2-10 start. Tulsa is athletic and out hustling us.

My god Nolan. Moving pick, we are one foul away from Tulsa being in the bonus with 12 mins left in the half.

Nolan should never play a minute in a UCONN uniform ever again. We would be better off having the ripped walk on take his place, at least the fouls would be painful with him in there instead of the flower Nolan.

Nothing like having a conversation with yourself.......

Calhoun made a great move on that drive and got robbed. Boat with a three that brought this back to even.

Hamilton would have been better off trying to score over the back board than passing to Nolan who almost had the ball hit him in the face. Embarrassing.

I just don't get how teams can make us look so bad. Tulsa is decent but their ball handlers are just running circles around us and D'ing up and we look so bad.

Samuels got blocked and would have by a midget. Terrible Terrible Terrible offense, just beyond bad.

Purvis just airballed a FT................... just when you think it couldn't look any worse he AIR BALLED A FT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a terrible terrible showing in all areas. Tulsa is an average team with good athletes but not a great IQ team and they are making us look bad.

This is the worst half we have played all year. I can't believe what I just saw. How can this team be this pathetic? Refs aren't helping, that last call on Purvis was as tick tack as you will EVER see.

I thought we were heading in the right direction so I am holding out hope Ollie gets these guys playing right for the second half but I what I just watched gives me great pause.

Fts may end up 40-10. Did duke sneak into the building and steal tulsa's unis?

Purvis should get sent to Geno and learn how to play.

Just when you think he may be turning the corner, he looks like a foreigner that just picked up a basketball for the first time. Play Calhoun.

Pretty solid start to they second half. Rock bottom looks like it could be in our future once again.

Zero team work, lots of individual guys having no idea how to play as a team. To me it goes back to having all the wrong kids.

I think it hurts more because of what last year was............ down 12.

Purvis is having a bad game but has had a few really good ones, its Samuels, Nolan, Caswell, Face, and Brimah that baffle me they are this bad. Calhoun was getting it there for a couple games but has gone back in a shell for this one.

Overall teams are allowed stinkers but this team has had really 10+ already and that is shocking to me. Ollie gets the blame, this team has no leadership and it starts at the head coach. Boat is not a leader and after him there literally ZERO to rely on.

This last little stretch that sees us down 16 is beyond embarrassing.

Let's not overeact on the talent of the team. Let's focus on how much they drank last night cause this is the most I don't give a crap I have ever seen any team look. Ollie is gonna cram his foot way up in there asses.

Ollie must have been nice at halftime because we have been worse (hard to imagine) in the second half.

As much credit Ollie gets for the past 2 seasons he gets ALL of the blame on this one. You simply can't let your team be this bad, unskilled, unmotivated, heartless, non-UCONN, etc......

Hamilton has promise but is the only person other than Boat that has any talent.

Dom please change your sig. Make it say in Ollie I trust when they win national championship otherwise he sucks. If you don't think these kids are improving under him you are high. Brimah and facey have made huge jumps from last year. Brimah couldn't play 20 minutes most games and facey didn't play. Boat can't stop others from making dumb plays.

You are an idiot. You can call someone out for sucking when they suck and right now Ollie can't get through to this team. How is that anything but EXACTLY what he would say about himself ?

I agree made no sense. Team played like shit still had a chance. But atleast they weren't the worst men in uniform tonight. Aac needs to spend on refs. Leaving that many fts short is impressive. If they don't call the travel on Hamilton it might be a different outcome. If Ollie figure out how to get them to play 40 minutes instead of 8 to 10 look out

It just seemed odd. I thought he should have fouled. I've noticed a theme this year where KO doesn't foul.

I'm not too worried about the lack of fouling or the loss. It happens. Tulsa played real hard and had some players who could bottle up boat. We would of had to play really hard to win this game. Save the energy for bigger games. Good for Tulsa.

By the way. Is boat still hurt.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

Just a terrible terrible showing in all areas. Tulsa is an average team with good athletes but not a great IQ team and they are making us look bad.
Agree on Uconn being terrible but Tulsa was the favorite in this game and overall they had smarter players that
took care of the rock..and took way more quality shots..

Then Uconn got the 2nd half sequence when Purvis was on the loose that was mentioned in a thread below.
he made a possible 4 point game into a 9 point lead and started Tulsa's roll because of his selfishness,
recklessness and low BB IQ...he single handedly put the game out of reach and made it an uphill struggle
from that point on......even with good D the TO's/forced shots kept coming and nobody hit FT's beside Samuels.
This post was edited on 1/14 3:13 PM by the Blades

I didn't see the game which I guess is fortunate. Tulsa is now 4-0 and in 1st place in the American, while UConn at 2-2 in the American is tied for 6th. 6th place in the American will not be producing an NCAA tournament bid.

From the Courant:

"It's the same story as other games. We started off slow," Ollie said. "I thought Tulsa played hungrier than us. In every
facet of the game they beat us. They beat us in the toughness. Guys came out and played and we didn't take the challenge."
Once again, UConn started off abysmally from the floor, missing 11 of its first 14 shots. The Huskies were defending
and rebounding reasonably well, but Tulsa built a 14-5 lead. "I'm seeing the same thing," Ollie said. ""It's got to change."

As KO sat sheepishly on the bench for most of the night whenever the camera panned him, maybe he better get

Calhoun back to wake them the F#Ck up from the start ! Because I saw more passion from a 70 year old than I've

seen from KO recently....

This "their fighters" BS and or KO hyping Purvis ( who really pisses me off) to the NBA was nonsense....because they're as
dense a bunch as we've seen who keep making the same mistakes over and over half way through the season. The recent
wins came as much because of other teams as futility, than from Uconn's superior play...and how can a team shoot 44, 61
and 50 % on FT's for 3 games in a row now and expect to win ?
This post was edited on 1/14 3:42 PM by the Blades

Its time for Boat to start thinking about the NBA and just start jacking shots all of the place. There were many times last night I thought he should have been shooting dagger 3's like Napier would but he never pulled the trigger. To me that is the biggest difference between Bot and Napier, Boat doesn't have the stones or ability to even try and take over the game. He needs to start trying.

Frustrating I know.... I feel you guys I do but they will get it turnt. The have too!!

Dom it is a little to early for Boat to be doing that but I hear you!!

I just had a nice long phone conversation with Coach Ollie right before they are boarding the flight to go to Stanford just now. We talked about everything including and especially the enigma that is Rodney Purvis. Yes coach and I and everyone thought he would be a stud right now but something is just wrong with him. I said mentally and coach agreed like yea mentally. Something!! I told him to get Facey more involved and get after him. He is too damn quiet and needs to be a killa out there. Even on offensive put backs etc... Be active!! He said exactly just like the damn Tulsa bugs were doing. They had no plays run for them and were ballin...

He agreed we need another or really two more ballas out there that need to help boat and just play Uconn basketball. Otherwise they won't play! I said coach you have to do it like that because some of these kids are mental midgets. He agreed but working hard with them on that. As he kept saying they will get it. I will make sure of it.

Then we just talked receuiting and a couple kids I told them to get in asap when they get back from Stanford!

So all in all staff knows what they need to do with this current bunch hopefully it comes out before it gets too late!!

Great update Ozz as usual. I hope they turn it around. I dont see a National Title this time but we were all down in the dumps at a few points last year as well and Kemba's year as well. I just dont see who that other two players are on this team. Should be Purvis and Calhoun but I have my serious doubts.

You arent going to be at the Stanford game are you ?

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
some of these kids are mental midgets.
This is the problem, the lack of intelligent play, the poor basketball IQ. It's best reflected in the assists to TOs statistics of this team, which are atrocious.

From the first time I saw Purvis play, I felt that he really doesn't understand how to play the sport. Some guys just do not have a feel for the game. I remember back in the 1980s one of the UConn players, who I lived with, was commenting on a teammate and told me he just doesn't see the Court that well. I think Rodney has similar issues - he doesn't seem to have a feel for how an attempted move will shake out. We can see a TO or an offensive foul but he is not seeing it. Some guys eventually adjust and play smarter - remember that Kemba Walker had huge issues for much of his freshman and sophomore seasons before a light bulb went off inside him. And once that light bulb went off, Kemba became, for one season, the best player in modern UConn basketball history.

KO has to do a better job recruiting guys who have high basketball IQs and toughness, like Shabazz.

Exactly KSTW on Purvis, he just takes off into traffic at the most inopportune times...the other problem is that
he has a weak handle, and if you watch him( I'm sure other coaches see it).... he has no left, he's showed no crossover,
or pull-up, he's been a one dimensional player with a set shot, who can make an open dunk or lay-up, so far...and that
would be OK except he keeps forcing things or is just flat out selfish like on that blown 3 on 1 at a key point last night.

But at least one guy understands that he's got to start playing more under control.....

Neill Ostrout[/B]@
16 hours ago
Daniel Hamilton on how Huskies can cut down turnovers: "We just have to stay solid and not rush it, not rush
our offense. Especially me......Sometimes I tend to rush it. Sometimes I try to make plays that aren't there.
Sometimes I have to back it out and realize.. that it's not high school."

The big difference with Hamilton is that you can live with his growing pains because if he gets under control he still
has good court vision and he does other things like rebound for a 3 man, he had a double double last night with 16 and 12.
This post was edited on 1/14 4:45 PM by the Blades

Good points about Kemba KSTW and Dom about that season as well as last year.... I am with you in that I dont see a national title but I am not losing hope until it is proven wrong.

Look KO was very upset/pissed and I have never heard him get in on guys like that with me... of course I let out my frustrations as well about a certain few of them but we all have to trust him that he will get the ship righted. They have been playing better ball just need to clean up some things and bring about some of that hunger that you need for 40 minutes.
Also Amida as Coach and I discussed needs to slow down and stopping taking on all this load of being a leader along with Boat and rallying the troops and then worry about his own game as well. He just needs to focus on his game more for now. This is a good thing with Amida but sometimes you put too much on your plate or pressure on yourself and you dont get the value needed.

KSTW.... maybe you are right that Purv does not see the court very well and to me he is just thinking too much and not playing and is always worried about messing up... IDK. Dude is an enigma is all I can say about it.

But as the old saying goes you can only lead the horse to water.... cannot make him drink it!

We are recruiting tough kids and guys who ball hard.... Adams is one..... Enoch is another who plays hard and will only get better and better and of course others we are recruiting.

Coach is also watching Tyler Dorsey tonight so lets see whats up with him...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT