ADVERTISEMENT

Tracking down some hoops recruits

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
I'll be at this event today, with a chance to see one UConn commit and some key targets for 2017 and 2018 as well.

Aman I will be curious to hear your thoughts especially on any big man targets. Josh Carlton has committed but I think UConn needs more quality and depth at the 4 and 5 positions. Also with Purvis leaving after this season I am curious about shooting guards as I am not too sure that Diallo will be at UConn. Of course Jalen can play the 2 with Gilbert at the point next year, but a bigger guard who can shoot 3s and play D would be a nice addition.

Aman I will be curious to hear your thoughts especially on any big man targets. Josh Carlton has committed but I think UConn needs more quality and depth at the 4 and 5 positions. Also with Purvis leaving after this season I am curious about shooting guards as I am not too sure that Diallo will be at UConn. Of course Jalen can play the 2 with Gilbert at the point next year, but a bigger guard who can shoot 3s and play D would be a nice addition.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to keep an eye on those things. Carlton is definitely an intriguing prospect, we've got some highlights of him here (https://connecticut.forums.rivals.com/threads/josh-carlton-highlights-25-in-blue.5829/#post-32995) I'm excited to see him play.

As for the guard situation, Gilbert, Adams, and an emerging Vital are going to be in heavy rotation with Ashton-Langford also involved. Larrier is probably going to do some of the things you are mentioning, and Vance Jackson may find himself in that role as well.

Gilbert, Adams, Vital and MAL are all under 6'2" guards and it would be nice to have a guy like Rodney who is around 6'4" and can defend bigger guards while also sticking a few 3s here and there. I like to have on every team one guard who is 6'4" plus, can defend and stick the occasional 3. Don't care if it's a backup type guy as long as he provides those 3 things. If it means a guy who like Rodney can't handle the rock that's fine as long as there are check marks on the other 3 things.

Josh Carlton's game is winding down, his DeMatha squad was up big early and for most of it but Wheeler has come back but DeMatha should win.

Initial thoughts on the 3-star F commit:

- runs the floor well, good athleticism for his size
- sound rebounding instincts/ability
- needs to get stronger
- good passing ability/vision for his position
- opportunistic offensively - they don't run a whole lot through him, but he grabs boards and puts it back
- solid defender

Will be interviewing him and his coach, hopefully, after this one ends.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT