ADVERTISEMENT

The "Ferrari I cant take out of the garage"

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
Kevin Ollie was asked at one point last year what he thought about Rodney Purvis
He responded that he was a Ferrari that he could not take out of the garage.
Thus far the "Ferrari" has proven he can't shoot and doesn't play much defense.

Haven't figured out yet what the "Ferrari" actually does well.......................................

Basically this Ferrari is not running very well. Needs an oil change, new spark plugs and new brake pads. I saw a lot of skidding and sliding.

Oil change? HAHA

I'm afraid the engine has a blown gasket, the front axel is rotted out and if the carbon monoxide fumes seeping through the ventilation system don't kill you the smell of the dead cat carcass they removed surely will. It looks worse than David Spade's car after Tommy Boy gets through with it.

reminds me of the year the huskies won it all in 99. All year the word on campus was the best player on the team was only a practice player that year.....Aju Aju Deng....remember that? Hopefully Purvis has more upside.

Originally posted by Shaggydog84:
reminds me of the year the huskies won it all in 99. All year the word on campus was the best player on the team was only a practice player that year.....Aju Aju Deng....remember that? Hopefully Purvis has more upside.
yeah.....he was the next great hype.. Just like 5 star Ater Majok...who sat out and then averaged a fabulous 3.0 a game
before leaving for who knows where. But so far Purvis thinks playing D is trying for a steal and leaving a guy wide
open for a 3...he's is good at driving for open court lay-ups like you get all the time in AAU and summer ball....
unfortunately you need backcourt guys with a handle, a shot and BB IQ in real CBB games.

Ater would have been a great 4 year player for us. He was recently called to the Lakers D league, he still has a shot.

Happy Majok finally got a few D league games in after 7 years, but Ater was a total bust for Uconn. He was
a 2008 recruit and didn't get on the court until he was 22 years old. But with the NCAA stopping his
growth as a player for almost 2 years and his bad news coach Ed Smith who was fighting with Calhoun,
you can hardly blame the kid. At most he would've played 3 years at Uconn anyway......Here's a NHR article
negative effects Smith seems to have on
young, African basketball prospects and talks about the problems Smith had with Calhoun.

This post was edited on 12/19 6:28 PM by the Blades

How about Ajou Ajou Deng? He was a major bust as well. Deng, Majok, Doug Wrenn, Doug Wiggins, and now Purvis. But Purvis was the only one who was a McDonald's All American and I am wondering how that happened because the guy can't play basketball. He is a good athlete but he has no clue what he is doing out there. How does a guy who doesn't know how to play make that team?

Dude is a jalopy right now!!

His effort has and looks like it will continue to piss me off as well!!

Purvis is fine. He's clearly not a one and done guy. But he should be a solid 3 year guy. He's a good transition player. That's a start. He needs to start working on the other things. Defense. Shooting. The basics. Needless to say, the game is more than break away layups/dunks. I actually think he's spent the bulk of his basketball life just concentrating on those skills. I also think he's a little hobbled. That doesn't explain his poor play. Everyone is correct. He played poorly because of his poor shooting and half court game. But he does not look very explosive when he does get ahead of the pack.

Lots of things to work on. He can still be a good player. An NBA player. If KO can do it. Rodney can do it.

Purvis certainly proved all the doubters wrong last night. He was efficient and very decisive in all phases of his game. He really does have a lot of Jerome Dyson to his game from his driving style down to his set jumpshot.

I think expectations were a bit high from the fan base and maybe even from KO who probably wishes he didn't peg him as the Ferrari in his garage. I'm hoping that Purvis was just shaking off some rust and lacking some confidence so far this year and that he can build off this great game.

I'm sure he will be inconsistent and frustrating at times but we become a truly different team if he steps up as a real threat next to Boat and DHam on a given night. Glad to see him bust out of it and it's hard not to like the kid - he really is all about this team and the university since he transferred here

It's all about effort. You play with effort you will be fine more often than not. Let's see it continue for a few games and against better competition!!

You are mostly likely right NDH he prolly isn't 100% but still you have to go hard once that jersey is put on. This is UCONN.... You see Boat out there doing that on one leg. It is a mentality and that is what Purv needs to have and maintain.

Purvis looks like he has a nice 3 ball stroke. As Blades has noted he had been passing up some open looks in favor of drives that were not there, before the Columbia game. I think the coaches were on him to shoot the open 3 if he has the look. Let's not forget that he shot 39% from the 3 stripe as a frosh at NC State. That's an excellent number. He still needs to work on his decision making and his handle, but what the team needs right now is someone to stick some 3s and thank the Lord he got that job done last game. I think he will be okay shooting the 3 and once he makes a few more and the defenders respect that, he may have some lanes open up for the drives he wants to make to the hole. Then there is his transition game which is pretty good, and may get better once he is 100%.

Silk - Purvis hasnt proven SQUAT
Except maybe McDonald's should change it's player selection committee for its silly game.
I mean should I get excited about a 20 point game againt CCSU!!!!!!!!!! NO
McDonald's food sucks, so does it's talent evaluation

My crying 4 year old niece ate a chicken McNugget today that reminded me of Purvis
It was fried, it wasn't chicken, and it's not good for you

Mcdonald's AA eval is not the greatest...agreed. but I like how purvis has played the last few outings. He definitely has talent. KO will force that talent to play at a high level.

Originally posted by Calhoun_for_President:
Silk - Purvis hasnt proven SQUAT
Except maybe McDonald's should change it's player selection committee for its silly game.
I mean should I get excited about a 20 point game againt CCSU!!!!!!!!!! NO
McDonald's food sucks, so does it's talent evaluation
Umm Purvis played great vs Columbia, a good team that was beating UK in Rupp Arena in the 2nd half and yes he followed up his best game in a UConn uniform with another strong outing vs CCSU. Did you watch the games as you seem to be confused with the opponents and his performances.

I'm not getting ahead of myself with Purvis but it's great to see him flash that skill and production that made him such a coveted prospect coming out of HS. Despite you not giving much credence to McDonald's All American, it still means something.

A lot of fans were very down and out on Pruvis and that he was a bust prior to his Columbia game breakout. Give the kid time, he sat out a full year and had shoulder surgery not to mention a high ankle sprain already this year. He's looking healthy and confident and he changes the look of our team when he plays this way.

Let's see him continue to string together some good games as we start to play better competition with Temple and Florida on deck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT