ADVERTISEMENT

Sal Alosi Lawsuit Against UConn

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Mar 28, 2009
I am surprised we have not read more about it, now that Alosi's complaint has survived a motion to dismiss as to several of the counts. The Complaint is here:

One of the more interesting allegations- and it is just that, an allegation- is this:

"7. Between February 2020 and June 23, 2020, the ebb and flow of ALOSI’s relationship with UCONN followed a consistent general pattern: (i) Coach Hurley, either by himself or through other assistants and executives, would make a demand of ALOSI related to strength and conditioning; (ii) ALOSI would realize that the proposed demand could potentially run afoul of NCAA rules and/or health and safety protocols; (iii) ALOSI would communicate those concerns to Coach Hurley or the appropriate staff member, and resist proceeding as Coach Hurley demanded; (iv) Coach Hurley would then disparage ALOSI, refuse to speak with ALOSI 3 for a period of time, or take other actions to demean and humiliate ALOSI; (v) after other staff members intervened and calmed things down, Coach Hurley would reengage with ALOSI only if ALOSI made certain displays of loyalty to Coach Hurley and the program; (vi) ALOSI would placate Coach Hurley and complete these often demeaning displays of loyalty; and (vii) the two would proceed executing their respective duties until another dispute arose over potential rule violations and breaches of health and safety protocols."

Sounds a lot like Dino Gaudio. Except unlike Dino he did not commit extortion.

I would like to hear Coach Hurley's retort. But it sounds to me like Alosi was likely a guy marching to his own drummer. He is now out of coaching and running a gym in Arizona. He is probably viewed as litigious and unhirable by any school. Like Kevin Ollie, he wants to be paid what he believes is owed him. I am not sure what he is looking for but a case like this reallyshould not be that hard to settle.

Last edited:
IMHO, seeing the issues Alosi had, regarding some of his social media stuff, was that he failed to fall in line with the woke narrative and party line "required" during that time frame across the county. So he was cancelled. It doesn't take a genius to realize, that it was just a matter of time. Was it right that he lost his job, because his opinions didn't match the ongoing political correctness, or he had a mind of his own ? Let the courts figure it out.

Last edited:
I am an attorney myself and I draft and answer civil complaints all the time. I consider an allegation that "the proposed demand could potentially run afoul of NCAA rules and/or health and safety protocols" - especially the use of the words "could potentially" - to be exceedingly weak. The background on all of this was Covid when everyone was winging it and trying to figure out the meanings of all kinds of new rules. A lot of the new rules, not just NCAA rules and guidelines on practicing and workouts but State and Federal Court rules and guidelines, were somewhat vague, unprecedented and open to interpretation. Clearly he and Coach Hurley were not on the same page on them. But they weren't the only 2 who were left to figure things out in the wake of all kinds of post Covid rules.

Which reminds me of a situation my client had with his landlord after Covid when both of them figured it out and worked it out. Client owned a business which was shut down by the State of CT due to it being considered a school and subject to rules and regulations governing schools. Because of the shutdown client had no revenue to pay the rent. The landlord at that time also couldn't evict the client due to the moratorium on evictions at the time. The landlord, realizing rent wasn't coming in and that he also wasn't likely going to ever be able to collect the back rent owed due to the State shutdown, approached the client and offered rent forgiveness in exchange for client getting out of the building immediately so landlord could rent to a tenant that could pay. Simultaneously the client was considering closing the business, which although successful prior to Covid, was a second business for the client and not his primary source of income. So these two guys got together, no lawyers, and hammered out a deal. I was consulted, after the deal was made by handshake, to look at the lease termination agreement and gave it my blessing. Lots of deals had to go down this way due to Covid.

I think Sal didn't adapt to the situation and roll with the punches like some others might have......as Blades said it's now for the Courts to work things out. I personally think it's stupid and costly to litigate this dispute further rather than sit down and mediate it. Mediation is nonbinding and if done through the Judicial ADR program it is at no cost to the parties.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT