ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Update

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Here is an article posted 2 hours ago in the Baltimore Sun, suggesting that Maryland has entered the Diamond Stone sweepstakes. The article assumes Wisconsin and UConn are the favorites, in that order, but is critical of Stone's fit with UConn's roster for next year and style of play. The article implies that UConn has a lot of "me first" players which I think is really code for we have talent Maryland wishes it had.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-insidemdsports-breaking-down-terps-pursuit-of-bluechip-center-diamond-stone-20140926,0,7521936.story

That article made me laugh with how Maryland slanted it is. Everyone on UConn's roster is selfish, their outside shooters only want to shoot but everyone on Maryland's roster shares the ball and the wings are good scorers and shooters who would spread the floor.

UConn won the National Championship twice in the last 4 years with whatever formula they use and Maryland hasn't done diddly lately and their coach has never won anything. Yup, it all makes sense to me!

Lol what a slanted article...if by sharing the ball they mean that none of their players is capable of taking over a game like Bazz, Boat and Daniels were last year then by all means call the defending National Champions selfish. I don't know how you can refer to our current team as selfish either unless that author has a crystal ball too. I love how they label Jalen Adams as a shoot first scoring guard...he's a PG through and through

Either way Maryland thinks they got a shot at Stone because they were recruiting him early in the process due to his UA AAU affiliation. He's not that strongly tied to UA and it won't be like an Antonio Blakeney situation where he felt the heat of picking Louisville, an Adidas school, when he was Nike's boy...now he's destined for a Nike school (ahem Kentucky)

I'll eat my hat if Maryland comes away with landing Stone...it's us and Wisconsin, let those Maryland fans continue their pipe dreams

This post was edited on 9/26 5:05 PM by Silk31

It is a slanted article and also does not mention T-Sam, who is a pass first point guard who may get a lot more playing time than even people here think, based on the way he played in the NCAA tournament.

I kind of laughed off the comments on UConn because the guy writing that article does not know shit, but at the same time it is news/info on Stone and it is the only thing that has appeared on Stone since about Sept. 2.

No way he goes to Maryland but IF he did I would applaud him. Its a hole of an athletic program and he would be the guy and THE only thing that gets them into the NCAA's. It would be one heck of a story and hats off to him for picking the last place on his list that can make him better and the absolute last place he can win a title at. If he doesn't come here I am praying he lands at Maryland.

Anyone know if Stone will be an early signing period guy ? Right now with Enoch in the fold and if he
signs in Nov. ....I'd be more than content to let the season play out and not worry about Stone just yet.

Uconn with Brimah, Nolan, Facey, Rubin plus the Enoch add seems to be light years ahead of what
it'll have for front court players in 2015 compared to the last 2 years with only Nolan, Olander, (Wolfe)
and/or Brimah plus Facey who didn't even get any real PT. So I'd like to see who does what this year.

The X-Factor is if Brimah where to take a huge leap this year and started sniffing the early entry process
(he's already being looked at as #15 in 2016 and the only Uconn guy with a Scouting Video by Draft Express)
......then Stone would be an even bigger get, especially with him being immediate contributor one way or another.
If Stone's an early signing guy I guess it's all moot. But if not and if we don't see big strides from Phil (especially
......meaning he could become another TO who get's recruited over) and the rest then I wont be sweating it either
way until the spring.

This post was edited on 9/29 8:20 AM by the Blades

Blades-

I believe I read that Stone is going to commit in November. So if that is correct we will find out long before we see if Brimah will develop into a guy who may be sniffing early entry after this season. I agree with your comments on Brimah, and one of those websites (either DE or one of the others, forget which) had Brimah as the #5 rated returning sophomore in the nation. It would not surprise me if Brimah sniffed after this year but I still see him as a 3 year guy. If he is healthy I expect a very good year from him, maybe a breakout year. He has future 1st round NBA pick written all over him, it is just a question of when and now long it will take for the development. His court running and shot blocking skills are incredible, and he just needs to expand the rest of his game, rebounding in particular.

This post was edited on 9/28 9:38 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Was reading Lindy's and they have Brimah rated as the #16 center this year in any class. Most of the players in front of him are jr's, 2 sophs and 2 sr's. Agree on your assessment of when, not if. I'd be shocked though if he was in a position to come out after this yr...but that's why the season is played.

Only other UC player on these lists is Boat, as the #5 pg behind Paige, VanVleet, Wright from Utah and Isaiah Taylor from Texas.

As a team, Linday's ranked UC as #36, which i love. Let em under value the team. Plus, we did lose a lot of production so, i like where we're ranked here. Then again, Rudy is one of my favorite movies. Love the underdog

Those ratings are way off by Lindy's. I know a lot of experts like VanVleet, but the guy has no athleticism at all. Boatright is light years more athletic than VanVleet. However VanVleet is a very good player and fundamentally sound. I thought he looked overmatched against Kentucky- exposed. He had 4 points on 1-6 shooting when he was needed most. Played against bigger athletic players and was shut down and out. Boat did far more damage against UK.

Originally posted by the Blades:
Anyone know if Stone will be an early signing period guy ? Right now with Enoch in the fold and if he
signs in Nov. ....I'd be more than content to let the season play out and not worry about Stone just yet.

Uconn with Brimah, Nolan, Facey, Rubin plus the Enoch add seems to be light years ahead of what
it'll have for front court players in 2015 compared to the last 2 years with only Nolan, Olander, (Wolfe)
and/or Brimah plus Facey who didn't even get any real PT. So I'd like to see who does what this year.

The X-Factor is if Brimah where to take a huge leap this year and started sniffing the early entry process
(he's already being looked at as #15 in 2016 and the only Uconn guy with a Scouting Video by Draft Express)
......then Stone would be an even bigger get, especially with him being immediate contributor one way or another.
If Stone's an early signing guy I guess it's all moot. But if not and if we don't see big strides from Phil
(especially......meaning he could become another Olander who get's recruited over) and the rest then I
wont be sweating it either way until the spring.
I guess now that Stone is a spring guy, what we see from Phil and how Diamond sees himself fitting into
what Uconn does this season, will impact his decision....Either way with 11 schollies accounted for 2015-16
and 2 remaining Uconn can afford to be choosey ....too.

This post was edited on 11/19 1:11 PM by the Blades

I know Stone is being pressed by his family to stay home but I do not really see him as a fit for Wisconsin and Bo Ryan. Too much structure. Ryan is a little too old school. I don't see it.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
I know Stone is being pressed by his family to stay home but I do not really see him as a fit for Wisconsin and Bo Ryan. Too much structure. Ryan is a little too old school. I don't see it.
Well if his family doesn't prioritize fit then it doesn't matter if UConn's system is a better fit.

I think Old School is good in Stone's case. He will have the ball go through him on every possession. And Im not so sure Bo is so old school. Frankie is a big lighting people up Dirk style which is far from old school.

UCONN needs him more I know that much.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

UCONN needs him more I know that much.
We don't need Stone, we want him...we obsess over particular recruits and if we miss out on them we tend to have the knee jerk reaction that the sky is falling and start to worry, yet UConn keeps going. One recruit doesn't make UConn, it's actually quite the opposite.

If we miss on Stone it will suck but guess what there will be another recruit who actually wants to come to UConn and will put in the work. Look no further than us missing on Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Cory Joseph & Doron Lamb and us "settling" for Bazz and J-Lamb - we ended up winning NC #3 without those "stud" recruits

Need and Want are very different things...don't get consumed by the recruiting frenzy, I know it's tempting

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
Silk- great point, I still want Stone.
True on both points,
I've never been one for knee jerk reactions over the loss of recruits and you can add the Kemba "consolation prize"
over Brandon Jennings on to that list Silk. That being said the only solid starter/big I see right now is Brimah
and he seems to always get into foul trouble which is his biggest problem. Rubin seems to bulky with
not enough quickness/length. Nolan is heading into the Olander level of gaining weight to bang underneath
and from being a somewhat passable part time starter to almost irrelevant if he doesn't turn it around soon.

Facey seems to have the most upside and could develop. So it's getting clearer by the day that Stone
would grab major minutes right from the start at Uconn. And we're not talking Andre Drummond taking
minutes from Alex Oriahki or an effective player like Roscoe here. The rumors are what they are...but if
he doesn't choose Uconn, the 4/5 spot still needs some type of major upgrade and depth for next year.
This post was edited on 11/21 8:34 AM by the Blades

Does anyone know if Diamond Stone and Nolan are friends? If yes, I'm thinking that's probably a bad thing. Phil has been so bad as of late. I have to think Phil is pretty down on himself. Phil might actually send the wrong message if he and Diamond communicate at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT