ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of another guard recruit for next year....

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
......to play in the backcourt besides Jalen and Rique along with the constantly injured Cassell Jr.:

David Borges ‏@DaveBorges 47m47 minutes ago
" Rodney Purvis indicated last night that he's on pace to graduate this spring but intends to return to #UConn for final season. "

hmmm...I know he's the best defender of the guards....will another season clean up his out of control drives, missed lay-ups and BB IQ...???

Last edited:
They all should obviously come back. DHam and Especially Rod BUT it makes sense since he is a graduate or soon will be that he moves on as I doubt another season will be helpful to him personally. Of course it helps the team a lot with experience and depth.....

I still think Purvis won't be here next year - seems like an emotional response after the worst loss of the season. But it would be nice to have him back next year for depth.

Also, don't forget that the NCAA recently pushed back the NBA Draft Withdrawal deadline to 10 days after the NBA Combine. Now players can declare, go through the combine, receive feedback on their status and what needs work, and make a decision based off that information. We could see a couple other players declare for the draft with the intention to return after getting input from various scouts and NBA personnel.

Where's Rodney playing next year if he doesn't come back ? ( yeah I know overseas) Him, Hamilton, Brimah, etc and the NBA in the same breath is almost hilarious..

Purvis has improved from last year, but I don't know if his return next year would be a net positive, except from the standpoint of having a veteran body. His strengths are 3 point shooting and defense, while his weaknesses are ballhandling, finishing, basketball IQ, FT shooting (which has improved) and low rebounding totals for a guard with his size and body, which I think are due to him constantly trying to be out on the break the other way. Another year of development would not hurt him as a player.

Purvis has improved from last year, but I don't know if his return next year would be a net positive, except from the standpoint of having a veteran body. His strengths are 3 point shooting and defense, while his weaknesses are ballhandling, finishing, basketball IQ, FT shooting (which has improved) and low rebounding totals for a guard with his size and body, which I think are due to him constantly trying to be out on the break the other way. Another year of development would not hurt him as a player.

Very true, it's up for debate and I have those exact concerns, but what would his replacement be like ? Omar being gone is a plus in my book, he's a weak defender and another guy who can't dribble in the open court while he gives you nothing except about once every 5 games. But then I look at the replacements Uconn almost had and former commits...Prince Ali is averaging 4.2 points a game for a .500 UCLA team, Williams "Turtle" Jackson's at 1.1 a game for Georgia....who aren't exactly tearing it up.

So even if they all comeback besides the 4 SR's/ post grad guys, it still leaves a scholly open, so they gotta find another guard who has some breakdown ability and a handle... IMHO

Last edited:
While flawed, RP is still a good,experienced player to have on the roster. I know nothing is official until after the season, but I hope he comes back for his final year. Will only help his development and will make our team stronger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT