ADVERTISEMENT

So the AAC/ former BE is going to lose teams again ?

I hear ya Blades.
curious to see if the B1G is going to make some noise now.

Ya mean like Texas and OU sneaking out to the B1G before they get stuck in a long term grant of rights with the new and expanded Big 12....;)
I'd rather have no expansion until Uconn improves their FB profile back to the BE days, than again dealing with what could go down and more uncertainty.....This time
because of geography. With the new ACC network supposedly in the works, I doubt anyone will be leaving that conference soon.

But look at the bright side as the former Big East/ AAC implodes for the umpteenth time. There may yet be room to bring back Uconn's old rivals
like Maine, New Hampshire and Rhody...then we'll have a true geographical fit and it'll be like the Yankee Conference 2.0 / deja vu all over again......:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc2000
Andy Katz ESPN Senior Writer
katz_andy_m.jpg

"If UConn found a home for football, the Big East would seriously consider the Huskies for all other sports, according to a source with knowledge. The Big East would be a natural fit. So far the 10-team Big East only has all sports members, but doesn't offer Division I (FBS) football. UConn is in all sports in the AAC. If given the choice, the Huskies would want to be in the Big 12 in all sports. But the chances that offer ever comes is still too hard to predict now."

So Andy...the Big 12 would want Uconn's FB team but not their 2 blue blood multi-NC basketball programs for a future Big 12 Network ???

Reactions: UconNell
And from the Courant:
"UConn is among the schools that have sent signals of interest to the Big 12. School officials have taken a quiet approach, contacting the Big 12 through back channels rather than publicly lobby like other candidates. That approach is not changing, one UConn source said Wednesday"......." Speaking of the boost in revenue from ESPN and Fox, the Big 12 would see a 40 percent increase in money from the networks if the conference adds four teams. New members would not receive full shares initially, so there is a strong financial incentive for the current 10 members to expand by four."

I say get in with the BIG 12 and even if Texas and OU bail we are in a stronger conference with TCU, OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, K-state, etc....not much but still better. Better yet if those two bail we get picked off for the SEC/ACC/BIG.

Not much we haven't discussed forever on this board... but from
The Courant (full read): Got Questions About UConn Joining The Big 12? We've Got Answers

short version recap:
1. Why is UConn so desperate to join a conference based in the Dallas area? In a word, money. ( I also think competing with equal level AD's/teams for your fanbase is a huge part of that)
2. Could UConn drop its football program in the Big 12 and move all of its other sports to the Big East? ( Dumb topic....to me the smart move might be for the Big 12 to take BYU and one of the weak hoops FLA schools for FB only..... then add Uconn and Cincy as full members which also helps WVU with travel)
3. Why is the Big 12 expanding? Again, money. ( and the Big 12 now knows that their expansion is gonna have to come from G-5 schools ....see below)
4. What about a Big 12 network? That was viewed as UConn's window into the conference---(they would deliver TV viewers in huge new northeast market ) conventional wisdom holds that TV money is evaporating - But word came this week that the ACC and ESPN are finalizing plans for a network. Not only will it boost revenue for the ACC, but the deal locks down ACC members and will prevent another conference from luring members. ( now if the Big 12 doesn't expand they could be poached away theirselves) So does this mean the Big 12 network is still alive? Hard to say, but it's not on the front burner. As for UConn's New York angle, that's still a draw for the Big 12.
5. What can UConn do to sell itself? This is tricky. While schools such as Memphis and Cincinnati are blatantly peddling themselves to the Big 12, UConn has been underground.
6. What is the Big 12 looking for? It knows that none of the candidates will add real value in football. Months ago, there was talk the Big 12 might attempt to raid another Power Five conference. That's not happening.----So the conference is looking for a school with a strong academic profile, with strong athletics and a vibrant fan base. The size of the market is a consideration, along with the number of TV sets. OU's Boren also mentioned reputation and integrity.....
7. Who are the favorites? Based on media speculation, Cincinnati is viewed as the leader.

If the Big 12 was to take 4 schools and decimate the AAC/ Big East for the final time I don't even look at it as switching conferences if it were to happen for Uconn. It's more like a merger or just rejoining some schools that were either in the BE like WVU, almost in the BE( TCU) and whoever else was to join them from the current AAC. To me playing in a Midwest heavy conference when you already play a bunch from that area (SMU, UH, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis) is no bigger a burden to Uconn travel than the AAC. But the anti-Uconn media hype because of geography more than anything bothers me in regards to how this may play out. When in reality the geography would effect Uconn more (because they are doing the most traveling) than it does the current Big 12 members ( see WVU asks Big 12 for travel help
) But as I said is the AAC any better and with a terrible TV contract/ payout to fund that travel ?

I know we've been talking about a spot in the B1G and ACC but will this ever happen ? Maybe 14 all-sports schools is all they want to stay at....although it would be nice if the new ACC/ESPN or B1G networks would try to make a final lockdown of the Northeast market by using Uconn as their pawn.

Last edited:
Oklahoma is not going to jump ship (Big XII) without their little brother finding a landing spot also (Ok St). They are politically connected and the state of OK wouldn't allow Oklahoma to leave if Ok St was going to be stuck in purgatory.

A more realistic scenario would be Ok and OK St going to the PAC along with 2 other Big XII schools. That helps the PAC in a huge way since now they would be getting coverage and games on during prime hours instead of being stuck on the westcoast time zone.

Only way Oklahoma goes to the BIG is if OK St has a landing spot elsewhere already lined up.

Oklahoma is not going to jump ship (Big XII) without their little brother finding a landing spot also (Ok St). They are politically connected and the state of OK wouldn't allow Oklahoma to leave if Ok St was going to be stuck in purgatory.

A more realistic scenario would be Ok and OK St going to the PAC along with 2 other Big XII schools
. That helps the PAC in a huge way since now they would be getting coverage and games on during prime hours instead of being stuck on the westcoast time zone.
Only way Oklahoma goes to the BIG is if OK St has a landing spot elsewhere already lined up.

Boren seems to be playing leverage sometimes with his hinting about leaving and OU isn't an AAU school either( B1G) ....but that is old news if you remember. It already almost happened, Source: OU headed to Pac-10 with OSU, Texas, Texas Tech .....until ESPN gave TX the Longhorn Network to appease them and to stop them & their own little brother( Texas Tech) from going to the PAC. That was around the time that it was reported that the could be "Big 12 leftovers" Kansas, Iowa St. etc " where in contact with the old Big East about a merger. This all could've played out a bunch of different ways but all I really care about is Uconn.

Last edited:
Also a few (FWIW) tweets for our CR reading pleasure from Dodd at CBS:

Last edited:
The talk here in dallas on the sports radio shows and even nationally is that Houston has no shot because of recruiting. Elevating Houston to a power 5 means EVERY current big12 school competes with them on texas recruits. Wont happen, recruiting is the reason why TCU was left out for so many years and TCU no now steals tons of recruits they wouldnt have had outside of the Big12.

BYU- Sunday games for all sports. They dont play them. BIG problem that will be an issue for them and that is way out there and not in a big market TV wise.

Reactions: the Blades
BYU- Sunday games for all sports. They dont play them. BIG problem that will be an issue for them and that is way out there and not in a big market TV wise.

Good call Dom..BYU..... maybe that is why Bowlsby was talking about the possibility of FB only member(s)....CFB has no games on Sundays

The talk here in dallas on the sports radio shows and even nationally is that Houston has no shot because of recruiting. Elevating Houston to a power 5 means EVERY current big12 school competes with them on texas recruits. Wont happen, recruiting is the reason why TCU was left out for so many years and TCU no now steals tons of recruits they wouldnt have had outside of the Big12.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...overnor-greg-abbott-houston-cougars/87389168/

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has Houston's back, saying Thursday on Twitter that there will be no Big 12 expansion without the Cougars as part of the package.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has Houston's back, saying Thursday on Twitter that there will be no Big 12 expansion without the Cougars as part of the package.

Or the two private schools that are in Texas......but maybe the Gov. can just tell the Big 12 to replace Baylor with Houston , since they're so pissed at Baylor now , LOL !

Last edited:
The Houston thing is getting interesting as more outsiders get in the conversation. Locally its still not an option for recruiting purposes. They really dont want to elevate another Texas school . Plus there is something to be said for OU/UT/TCU wanting recognizable names like UCONN/CINCI that could be easy football wins. Lets all remember that going undefeated or one loss is GOLD for big teams. WVU is a nuisance for the big boys because they can sting an OU with title hopes and Houston/BYU are viewed as the same. Memphis/CINCI/UCONN are decent names to NOT lose to. Just a thought.

The rest of the non-rev sports UCONN is a class above and we all know that. The New York TV market, we all know that. The AD money, we all know that. This comes down to travel and as you can tell the coaches DONT want UCONN in for that SINGULAR reason.

INSIDER UPDATE ON EXPANSION

Huge UCONN fan living in Austin and I'm close with UT athletics/politics and have an interesting update. As we have seen both the Texas gov. and the UT president have endorsed Houston as a lock for expansion. There are some behind the scenes parts driving the change in UT's stance on expansion and the now requirement that it includes Houston. Forget about recruiting and sports this is all about state politics. UT has wanted to open a massive Houston campus for a long time and the city of Houston has fought it hard to help of University of Houston.

With Houston on the outside looking in on expansion due to recruiting they cut a back door deal that will grant UT a campus in Houston if UH gets into the BIG. Oklahoma can push all they want but expansion will not happen without UT. They have all the power especially because it is likely they will eventually roll Longhorn Network into a new BIG 12 Network with guaranteed payouts to UT.

Speaking of payouts and expansion 2 teams makes no sense so its likely 4 teams will be selected. If thats the case we can expect to have some phenomenal basketball games and some even better recruiting.

#hopefulhusky

Word on the mainboard is that BYU, Cincy, Memphis( I guess Fed Ex bought them a spot) and Houston ( gotta love those TX politics )are the schools TBA. If so here's a look at your new AAC hoops league ( last years records & RPI) ...... looks just swell with half the conferences RPI's below 200, SMH ! :

Temple.... 14-4( 21-12) 59
SMU........ 13-5 (25-5) 13
Tulsa ..
....12-6 (20-12) 58
UConn.... 11-7 (25-11) 32
UCF......... 6-12 (12-18) 219
ECU .
.......4-14 (12-20) 217
USF......... 4-14 (8-25) 229
Tulane.
.... 3-15 (12-22) 231

Last edited:
Wow, you mean the media is just now figuring out what us Big East fans knew forever ? That ESPN purposely destroyed the conference for financial gain and so they could underpay schools like Cincy, Uconn and USF....and the remnants in the AAC.

So now that Big 12 candidates like them, UCF and Memphis are being paid less than 2 million per yr. in the AAC and ESPN owns them for 10 cents on the dollar, the company is butt hurt that they may have to pay a few of them (and possibly BYU ) $20 million a year each to play in the Big 12 per a contract that ESPN and Fox agreed to ????........it's sounding more like Uconn might get screwed for about the 3 or 4th time with this latest game of CR now that Memphis bought their way in...but if this actually does go down...

It's ironic that the TV network that controlled it all and destroys conferences is crying foul when it doesn't benefit them !!!

Last edited:
Congress needs to step in and regulate college sports badly.........it's an unregulated industry that has run amok like the subprime mortgage lending industry did before it completely imploded in 2008. One of two things will happen, congressional regulation or implosion, the latter likely to be caused by antitrust litigation. Things have just gotten too monopolistic. Too many rich schools are getting disproportionate influence in college sports and someone has to cry foul sooner or later in the courts.

Remember when BC's AD Flipper said ESPN told us what to do regarding CR and ESPN denied having anything to do with CR ? Well if Sport Business Daily's sources are right ESPN is sure having plenty to say about it..... again..... and will the puppet master deny it again as they take another page strait from Gordon Gecko, this time to keep their AAC together on the cheap:

Link: Did ESPN Force ACC/Big East Realignment?

and it mentions the theory:
1) Big East turns down billion dollar offer from ESPN
2) Big East explores rights deals with other networks
3) ESPN gets mad… really mad
4) ESPN strikes preemptivey to take teams away from the Big East and move them to the ACC (who they do have a billion dollar TV contract with)
5) The Big East becomes less attractive to other networks. Therefore, top caliber live sports are kept off ESPN’s competitors
6) ESPN wins another battle in advancing their sports empire

Last edited:
The Houston thing is getting interesting as more outsiders get in the conversation. Locally its still not an option for recruiting purposes. They really dont want to elevate another Texas school . Plus there is something to be said for OU/UT/TCU wanting recognizable names like UCONN/CINCI that could be easy football wins. Lets all remember that going undefeated or one loss is GOLD for big teams. WVU is a nuisance for the big boys because they can sting an OU with title hopes and Houston/BYU are viewed as the same. Memphis/CINCI/UCONN are decent names to NOT lose to. Just a thought.

The rest of the non-rev sports UCONN is a class above and we all know that. The New York TV market, we all know that. The AD money, we all know that. This comes down to travel and as you can tell the coaches DONT want UCONN in for that SINGULAR reason.

Their teams only have to travel north once for each team, fab, mbb,WBB, UConn will be doing all the traveling. Sometimes I wonder about their smarts down there.

Reactions: the Blades
Benedict on Expansion, Playing in NYC by Aman Kidwai
" David Benedict and Mike Aresco Discuss the Elephant in the Room"
"I cannot stand here this morning and ignore the recent Big 12 news regarding realignment," Aresco said. "Although I want to address it at the outset, I am not going to dwell on it... Big 12 expansion, if it happens, and it appears probable, will again change the landscape of collegiate athletics and may well have an impact on our conference."

"If UConn found a home for football, the Big East would seriously consider the Huskies for all other sports, according to a source with knowledge. The Big East would be a natural fit. So far the 10-team Big East only has all sports members, but doesn't offer Division I (FBS) football. UConn is in all sports in the AAC. If given the choice, the Huskies would want to be in the Big 12 in all sports. But the chances that offer ever comes is still too hard to predict now."

As a Nova and Big East fan, I hope UConn finds its way to the Big East if the P5 invite doesn't happen. If the Big 12 invites, UConn has to take it. But if not...

Many Nova fans would like to see Nova go FBS in football. We don't have P5 delusions, but next level G5 alliance would probably be the right fit. We would like to have a Temple rivalry game each year where we are not at a FCS disadvantage, and frankly we would like to be in a position to host programs like ND and Penn State like Temple did last year.

Nova's football aspirations don't matter to UConn, but we do have a common interest in basketball. UConn and Temple to the Big East would give you a better home and more money for hoops, and a reasonable geographical footprint for non-rev sports. The Big East at MSG would get a boost from having UConn back, although it was rocking at last year's finals without UConn.

A football home for the eastern schools of the AAC without the Texas / Tulane / Tulsa / Florida footprint could be your home for FBS football, and the Big East for all other sports. It's not P5, but it might be better than what is left of the AAC if the B12 snags Cincy, Houston, and Memphis.

fod9if.png

UConn, Temple, and Nova should be talking.

National Champs,

I agree with you. The Big 12 really doesn't make sense plus the instability of the conference concerns me. I think the best teams in the East should play in one conference. The Big East makes most sense for UConn if they can figure out what to do about football.

Problem is it's all unstable if your outside the P-5, and the AAC is much more as the latest frenzy shows.. And don't forget what Marquette's Buzz Williams said a few years back when he left them for a P-5 job.... that basketball could very well end up the same way as FB did for the P-5 ...They've already created their own exclusive FB playoff system with limited access so who's to stop the P-5, who now have their autonomy rules from the NCAA , to create what they did all over again for hoops ?

But history shows the time for talking to Nova about FB has come and gone. In my dream of dreams Nova would have accepted the invite to the Big East, which they were offered twice (Villanova Wildcats consider Big East football invitation ) The BE Football schools would of split from the Catholic hoops only schools who lead the charge to keep Penn St. out as a full member in the early 90's. And instead of having the mish mash of Alphabet soup we find now in these re-aligned conferences ......we wouldn't be here talking about playing FB with APP St., DEL, JMU, ODU... An all sports Big East without the small minded Providence lapdogs running the show would have controlled the Eastern landscape, not the ACC, and it would have been strong enough to stick together and it could have looked like this:

Penn St..................
West Virginia
Cuse.......................Pitt
Uconn.....................Miami
Boston College......Nova
Rutgers.................Va Tech
(Notre Dame would have been begging to stay as a hoops only)
and then add your pick of.....Cincy , Louisville, Temple, USF

Without an FBS team this is easy. But FB drives the bus at Uconn working a $200 million + investment.... just as it does for all high level FB programs and their TV partners. So playing FB with a bunch of FCS programs will never be an option. Especially when you have AAC schools using the P-5 model : Keeping Up With Power 5: UConn Will Offer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships/ offer full cost of attendance to it's students/athletes...

I'd like the Big East option without FB but it's the elephant in the room that's not going away. Uconn still has some women's teams in the Big East now and may need a home for soccer if the Big 12 comes calling...but until all this plays out all we can do is watch as the golden rule applies...( those who have the Gold make the rules)

Last edited:
Problem is it's all unstable if your outside the P-5, and the AAC is much more as the latest frenzy shows.. And don't forget what Marquette's Buzz Williams said a few years back when he left them for a P-5 job.... that basketball could very well end up the same way as FB did for the P-5 ...They've already created their own exclusive FB playoff system with limited access so who's to stop the P-5, who now have their autonomy rules from the NCAA , to create what they did all over again for hoops ?

But history shows the time for talking to Nova about FB has come and gone. In my dream of dreams Nova would have accepted the invite to the Big East, which they were offered twice (Villanova Wildcats consider Big East football invitation ) The BE Football schools would of split from the Catholic hoops only's schools who lead the charge to keep Penn St. out as a full member in the early 90's. And instead having the mish mash of Alphabet soup we find now in these CR conferences ......we wouldn't be here talking about playing FB with APP St., DEL, JMU, ODU... An all sports Big East without the small minded Providence lapdogs running the show would have controlled the Eastern landscape, not the ACC, and it would have been strong enough to stick together and it could have looked like this:

Penn St..................
West Virginia
Cuse.......................Pitt
Uconn.....................Miami
Boston College....Nova
Rutgers.................Va Tech
(Notre Dame would have been begging to stay as a hoops only)
and then added your pick of.....Cincy , Louisville, Temple, USF

Without an FBS team this is easy. But FB drives the bus at Uconn working a $200 million + investment.... just as it does for all high level FB programs and their TV partners. So playing FB with a bunch of FCS programs will never be an option. Especially when you have AAC schools using the P-5 model : Keeping Up With Power 5: UConn Will Offer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships/ offer full cost of attendance to it's students/athletes...

I'd like the Big East option without FB but it's the elephant in the room that's not going away for any FBS team not in a P-5. Uconn still has some women's teams in the Big East now and may need a home for soccer if the Big 12 comes calling...but until all this plays out all we can do is watch as the golden rule applies...( those who have the Gold make the rules)

If UConn can land the P5 invite it is a no brainer. I agree.

Nova was thinking that the long drawn out evaluation of the former Big East football invitation was thoughtful and careful, when in fact it was just letting the offer spoil. Nova screwed up the invitation. I agree.

UConn would be crazy to drop down in football. I agree.

But only looking forward, if UConn doesn't get the invite and Houston, Cincy, and Memphis go B12, what is your best option? Playing football with other eastern schools that have moved up from FCS, plus Navy, while the rest of your sports go Big East might be a better option than sticking it out with Tulsa and Tulane.

UConn should definitely take the Big 12 if invited. It isn't a perfect fit, but it is by far your best opportunity today. But if that doesn't happen, Big East or Tulane/Tulsa?

Nova, UConn, and Temple should be talking.

There's way to many moving parts in all this stuff, so we could talk if's and but's forever with all this CR crap and I have on this board since around 2003-04... so after 3-4 rounds of this all caused by FB, it is what it is..

Nova is fine just as they are, so you guys have no worries...if you really want to get into it heavy try this other Uconn Conference Realignment Board that is dedicated to your topic.....I'm being civil but I'm sure those guys would go ballistic with the FB conference you mentioned.

The opinions, bloggers and tweets regarding this stuff just goes on non-stop....and what's this ? Some Big 12 writer now trying to suggest that the ACC or B1G will open up CR shop again...SMH !

Nova is in a decent position.

The Big East would be a step better with UConn. Nova needs to find a direction in football. None if it matters if UConn gets the P5 invite - that is a no brainer.

That might play as arrogance in Big 12 country. Schools like Texas have a papal attitude- you bow and kneel before them and kiss their ring when in their presence. Of course, once you do all those things, you are their indentured servant and lackey and you will absolutely be treated accordingly. So I kind of like the approach of not grovelling and begging. Every single person I ever saw in business that grovelled and begged got treated like a beggar.

If the Big 12 doesn't invite I hope UConn finds a way into the Big East.

I've read one more Uconn- Big East angle that could apply to this dynamic ....
Sources: Exits could terminate (AAC) TV deal

"Sources said the clause was put in to protect (ESPN) because Connecticut and Cincinnati are "next in line," to leave. The league is divided into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members).....

So If Uconn is left out of the next CR and 2 (A) schools leave the TV contract is terminated. Uconn could then petition the Big East ( and equally important FOX) as an all sports member ? While telling the AAC they will stay in just like Navy as a football only member ? Cuts down on travel in Olympic sports.

ESPN now loses control of Uconn's 2 blue blood MBB and WBB teams they have owned on the cheap in the American to FOX. Does ESPN (new ACC network) now counter with a Uconn offer to the ACC ???

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT