ADVERTISEMENT

Please disband the football program

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
Because of football every other athletic program is now forced to compete against the likes of schools such as Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, and Houston.

And for what?
4 straight losing seasons
To be in a non Big 5 conference
To lose to the likes of Army on a neutral field...........Army ladies and gentlemen

It is OBVIOUS UCONN football is an utter and epic failure.

I speak for many..........please disband the football program so we can join a real athletic conference for the rest of our sports.

The latest loss is a fricken' joke ... I left when it was 28-14, to beat the traffic and head back on the Merritt....
couldn't take it anymore... after seeing the way it ended on replay could this team body slam the fanbase
( who traveled much better to NYC than the HOME team Army did) any worse ? The FB program is
here to stay. Realignment and the AAC is what it is.... but I don't like the kinder gentler approach going on
with losing right now when another CR shift could be right around the corner. Time ain't on Uconn's side
and hasn't been for awhile now.

And I'm old enough to remember serious thought about dropping the hoops program out of the Big East back to
the Yankee conference because Uconn couldn't compete. Then Calhoun came in and went 9-19 and lost to Yale...
Thats' right Yale frickin' basketball......the difference was JC took hating losing to another level and dug us out
of a hole that I thought would never happen.....
This post was edited on 11/10 7:26 AM by the Blades

If you are not a part of one of the playoff conferences, its a pointless venture.

Thats the difference with basketball. In basketball they were in a conference that competed for the national championship.
The AAC is an absolute joke. It will wind up hurting every other program, including basketball.

The scintillating 3 point home wins over the likes of Stony Brook are not going to keep anyone's interest.
No one cares about UCONN football.

They are losing money on the program everyday it functions.
They do not have the revenue to hire a coaching staff or attract recruits that will make the program relevant.

Fold the program in hopes of saving the rest of our sports.

This is one of the most stupid comments I have ever read.

If we have no football program then we have ZERO CHANCE of joining a power conference!

We have zero chance of joining a power conference today. ZERO!!!!!

Fold and join the big east for the sake of the remainder of our sports.
Or would you like basketball to dive into irrelevancy as well?

Another incredibly stupid comment!

The Big East is not the Big East anymore.No prestige and the money they make is nothing compared to the Power Conferences.

You sound like someone I knew years ago that told me UConn needed to drop big time basketball.UConn could not compete and that it was a joke.Guess what chump,we have now won 4 National Basketball Titles !The football team is going to rebuild and eventually turn around.If you don't like it stick your head in the sand and don't watch.

Originally posted by blenner:
If we have no football program then we have ZERO CHANCE of joining a power conference!
Good call.....that should be easy enough to understand .....but to those that don't I'll just
leave it at that !

Another incredibly stupid comment!

The Big East is not the Big East anymore.No prestige and the money they make is nothing compared to the Power Conferences.

You sound like someone I knew years ago that told me UConn needed to drop big time basketball.UConn could not compete and that it was a joke.Guess what chump,we have now won 4 National Basketball Titles !The football team is going to rebuild and eventually turn around.If you don't like it stick your head in the sand and don't watch.

Please explain this comment blenner.
I mean - should I believe this cause you said so??????
Should I believe this cause the basketball team came out of nowhere in the 1980's.

Allow me to drop some actual facts on your pathetic invalid brain

#1 - I know the Big East is not the Big East anymore. I know there is no money compared to the power conferences. Newsflash CHUMP - UCONN is in the AAC!!!!!!!!!!!! how much money is in that.......
#2 - Basketball fields anywhere between 12-15 scholarship athletes. Football fields an average of 80-90 scholarship athletes. Bit more difficult to field a prominent team when you need 6 times the amount of quality players......or should I bring the calculator to you SON??
#3 - The money in college sports in the late 1980's versus now is laughable. Simple fact for simpletons like Brenner and Blades......the longer UCONN is not in a power conference and collecting power conference TV money, the farther away this dream becomes. And it is a dream, of being football relevant that is. No money, no ability to attract a coach worth a damn. no ability to attract players who are trying to get paid professionally to play football.

But thats OK delusional chodes
Keep believing UCONN football is going to compete nationally because basketball does.
I mean im sure Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, and UNC say the same. Except for one slight difference......they are already in a power 5 conference.

Soon when the power 5 break away from the NCAA, which is inevitable, there will be no other college football. Cut your losses now UCONN and join a semi decent conference for the rest of your sports before its too late

Cal for_President ...

Nobody likes what's going on with the FB team, your played out views on CR have been gone over ad nauseam, so either keep pissing into the wind...contact the AD or do like your handle says and Shut Up ....But thanks for your interest in Uconn football, it's been swell !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWxRAdxjDM

This post was edited on 11/9 10:49 PM by the Blades

I really think Calhoun for president suffered a lobotomy!

If UConn could be in a power conference they would be.As far as no one caring about football I guess you missed UConn playing Michigan last year where the Rent was SOLD OUT.

Give the new coach a chance.His recruits were true freshman this year and a ton of them had to play.Sadly it is going to take some time.Any coach needs at least 2 or 3 recruiting classes of their own players to make an evaluation.

In the meantime Calhoun for President change your handle.I am sure the real Calhoun thinks your a joke.

This really is a stupid post.

The coach has been here less than a year. The improvements over last year that I have seen is 1) Special teams a big improvement over the prior year. 2) Defense no question improved over 2013 in consistency of performance still need some better athletes. 3) Engagement with the fan base. The coach has made a great effort to get out around the state to meet the fans. 4) The offense has been pitiful but has improved as the offensive line has improved. A lot of young players getting experience which will be crucial for the program to move forward. 5) Recruiting. It is clear that there is a plan and a purpose to the recruiting which will pay dividends in future years. We have some leaders coming in who in two years will be leading the team to a bowl game. Improving football is the last hurdle for us to be the number 1 candidate for a new conference.

As far as moving to another conference goes, there will be additional changes in the next 5 years. UCONN is taking steps as a University that will make it one of the most attractive and prestigious academic institutions that will be in the running as a candidate. The next generation UCONN project is well underway which is concentrating on STEM programs. The will bring in additional professors, additional students and additional research this program I believe effectively starts up in 2015. We also have the UCONN health care expansion which also increases research in the medical sciences. Let's not forget that the Dental School is rated at the top in the country. Finally the Jackson Labs which is located near the medical school will generate synergy as its affiliation with UCONN will add to our national reputation. These initiatives are critical to be considered for the big ten.

Our basketball program is unique in that it has shown that both men and womens basketball can be a draw and a money maker and without question will be the top alternative in basketball when a team needs to be added to a conference. We have just opened the best practice facility in the country.

We have upgraded our hockey program where it is now competitive in the top conference in the country and have made a commitment to build a state of the art facility on campus. Our baseball program is now considered the best in New England and we have made a commitment to build a state of the art facility on campus. Our soccer program is one of the best in the country and just received an $8,000,000 private donation to jump start the construction of a state of the art facility on campus.

I just read this thread. Holy cow that's funny. 1st off Blades has been kind enough to post stuff onto this site which i think is invaluable to those who don't use the paid site. Not sure what a chode is Blades, but good luck with that lmao.

As everyone has already figured out, not worth wasting energy on posts like that. Just some ranting...does it suck how bad we are right now? abso friggin lutely. Do i get frustrated at how positive HCBD is after a game like this? um...yeah. But as you've all eluded to, the only way we're getting into a P5 conference is building back up the football program...and I keep telling myself that our new HC will do the job.....that it's just a situation we're in due to ex AD Hathaway's blunders...there is light, we just can't see it yet. I mean look at Rutgers...they are borderline bad but selling out B10 games...

Loses like this to Army and their option offense are tough to take. ( I remember an Edsall team getting pounded 41-17 by
Navy's version at the Rent) so frustration does set in after some hopeful improvement 2 weeks in a row vs. UCF and ECU...
Game ball to Blenner, Tru and Shaggy for being the voice of reason.

This post was edited on 11/10 9:01 PM by the Blades

It's very simple. No football=no chance of an invite to a P-5 conference

With football=a chance a P-5 conference invites us

Otherwise, rejoining the New Big East=games vs PC, SJU, SHU, DePaul....teams that haven't won a NCAA tourney game in this millennium.

I'll take our situation, now, and hope the FB improves.

agreed Yonick
Plus, I absolutely love having a D1 football program. If i can't make a home game, I can't wait to watch it at home. I'll change plans to watch it. It's disappointing though, that some of my longtime UC hoop-fan friends have never taken to UC football. I guess for some...winning cures all.

Originally posted by miket007:

I would love to hear what UMBear thinks about this???????????
What ever happened to that poster......is he posting on the TOS ?

Get RID of many on this staff and put this HC on NOTICE!!

What a utter and embarrassing loss to WINLESS and a program that wants to shutdown hell even their own hero Eric Dickerson said this on the radio to shut the pathetic SMU program down and this UCONN team loses to them....REALLY WTF!!

Their only freakin win has to come against UCONN..... SMDH!!

Emails should be sent to Warde Manuel, President Herbst and these bum coaches voicing displeasure and DEMANDING more and better for UCONN!!

I know mine will be sent here shortly..............

Did you really have to bump this rotten f&cken' title to the top again Ozzie ? Start a new thread to bitch, LOL !
I almost did after sitting in the rain yesterday watching this gutless version of an offense and formations that
looks like they're in the fetal position, guys that can't hang onto the ball and seem like their going in the
opposite direction in development ( except the OL) ..........but then I said...why bother.

It's been a bad time for Uconn's 2 high profile sports ....Our boy just lost to Yale( hasn't happened since 86')
and he looks like he's got some prima donnas that he can't handle and I'm wondering if he's to soft....
even in-game on the sideline( because he's nothing like JC when guys screw-up ) and can only handle
a certain type of player with his kinder gentler approach ? Was it JC and his early toughness for last years
NC guys who are gone....the thing that made it easier for KO ?

So it's been a joke to what Uconn sports should be this fall. Diaco's defense first style has got me thinking
that he's a younger version of PP. And nothing more than a used care salesman that talks way to much
with his cliches, vitamin D counts, etc., that borderline on foolish gibberish. I just can't stand these defensive
HC types especially after watching a real offense run by TJ Weist who beat Temple, Rutgers and blew out
Memphis to end last year and actually knew what he was doing with his offense, who his 1's, 2's, 3's on his
depth chart were( not this play everyone development crap)... had an immediate plan to win and wanted to
score and score often.

Instead we get Diaco coming in tearing down the team to 60 scholarship players (WTF, is this Penn St.
on probation...you get 85 !), starting all over like he's got all the time in the world as the fan base drops
like flies. I'm wondering if this is some convoluted scholly drop directive from Warde to save money.
I've seen nothing so far from Diaco that tells me Warde didn't get sold a bunch of BS just like us fans..
and this peace, love and nurturing crap only goes so far in rough tough game like FB.

And if I ever see another same side 2 tight end shift, 1 fullback, 1 halfback, QB over center... fetal position scrum
that everyone with a brain knows is gonna be a hand off into that side of the line, I'm never coming back.... but then
after saying all this I remember how much this thread sucks and know that recruits read this board... So what
difference does it make what a bunch of FB novices like me( who actually goes to the games) and you have to
say regarding what happened to the team this year....The players that chose Uconn, are ready to make a
difference and I respect their talents and the positivity that they'll bring to to turn this thing around.
This post was edited on 12/7 11:46 AM by the Blades

Yea sorry blades.... Just was to upset to start a new thread about it lol.

Agree with you on all points. In CFB which is a big political dirty business you need a CEO who is hungry and do whatever it takes to win! So this year yes it is year 1 but now you put a ton of pressure on yourself to be much better next year and by year 3!! Not good.... Plus yea what the heck is all that seeking shelter elsewhere business about. (60 scholly players???) You do that in spring and fall camp... NOT during the season!!!

I'm hoping against hope this gets turned around and much love and respect for the kids that put on the uni and play here always!!

Just hoping the coaching puts these kids in the best position and improve and WIN!

I came to this board to see if there was any discussion on the possible Big 12 expansion. I know it is not a likely landing spot for UConn but if it happens, UConn will be impacted. The Big 12 would love to add Florida State and probably another from the ACC. Wth the huge buyout and grant of media rights, it is obviously a long shot. If the ACC were to expand or need to replace teams UConn would be on the short list probably right behind Cincinnati. That would be the ideal scenario for UConn.

If the Big 12 were to expand and add Cinci it would obviously be bad for UConn. The AAC is already a huge step down from the old Big East in basketball and non-revenue sports. It is quite a bit behind the present Big East too.

I think UConn deserves an ACC invite but it seems BC is dead set against it. If that doesn't work, the best chance, though somewhat unlikely, would be the Big 10 feeling UConn would help them make headway into the NY market. I think that was part of the reasoning for Rutgers. Unless UConn is an AAU member (not sure but don't think so) they probably won't be invited by the Big 10. Also, if Rutgers flops that decreases the chance that the Big 10 would take a chance on UConn.

I think it is too early for UConn to give up on football. However, in a few more years when conference realignment seems over, if UConn is not in a power conference, it will be time to give up on big time football. The Big East would welcome them back if that were to happen.

The AAC is not a good long term solution. I think Temple and Tulane will either drop football or will drop to FCS within the next 5 years or so. They are wasting so much money with no fan support, little success and no real prospect at an invite from a power conference. When it is all said and done, I think there will be the 5 power conferences in football and everything else will be a step down - roughly the way the FCS is today. Once Notre Dame football becomes a full member of the ACC, there will be no successful outliers except BYU and Boise. BYU is likely to find a place in the Big 12.

The way things are, I don't blame UConn for spending a ton of money on the gamble of getting into a power conference. Unfortunately, if I were to guess, I think it is likely that UConn gets left out but just barely. Might as well go all in in the next few years while things are still in flux. If all goes to hell, the new Big East is not as bad as you fear. I hated the idea but have enjoyed it more than expected.

Originally posted by KittlesFan2.0:
I came to this board to see if there was any discussion on the possible Big 12 expansion.
The Big 12 is probably a bad fit but no worse than the AAC and it's traveling. But really
this CR stuff pops up everyonce once in awhile but every Uconn angle has been discussed
ad naseum on this board for years. The only thing that keeps changing is the level of
greed and entitlement of these P-5 Presidents and AD's and unfortunately your either in or as
far out as they can put everyone else. And it could get worse including hoops according to:

Va Techs - Buzz Williams: "the P65 will separate in two years...College athletics will not be the same...
the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer."

https://m.soundcloud.com/img-audio/virgi...es-12-1-14

I'd put BYU, Cinci and UCF on the top of any Big 12 list but it's one more reason to stay the course for
Uconn FB... and after spending over $200 mil alone... on practice facilities and a new stadium that's expandable
to 55,000, FB isn't going anywhere as most posters explained above. Especially since the team played to 95-100 %
capacity before Pasqualoni killed the teams direction, just like he did at Cuse.

Uconn also just went full scholly D-1 in Hockey and now leads Hockey East in Attendance in it's first year in a
conference with BC and Notre Dame.. The reason I bring this up is because Uconn is creating a profile that
more closely fits the B1G in both athletics and academic research (Malloy Details $2 Billion Plan For UConn)
than anything else, so that is really the goal and what the school is risking.......
edit: also on Dec 11th : UConn receives select designation for healthcare research This designation will generate
substantial funding for researchers.....by joining an elite group of only 11 universities across North America including
Duke, Vanderbilt, Maryland, USC, Minnesota, John Hopkins and Brown.

But like I said all this stuff has been talked about over and over and over for years now.
If you want to lurk here's a short thread we had on the hoops board:
are you serious????? BIG 12 adding two teams next season

Or if you really want to make your eyes hurt just read the other Uconn site CR board and by all means join in
......I'm sure ya'll have fun !
wink.r191677.gif

Conference Realignment Board
This post was edited on 12/12 9:08 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT