ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Uconn Hockey 2022-23

Ranked #9, MATTHEW WOOD, the 6-3/ 194lb, forward out of British Columbia, CAN, who is planning to come to UCONN as a 17 year old FR this year, could be the highest drafted Husky ever.

UConn men’s hockey’s best-ever recruit to join team this fall

FZpU-9QWYAI9LOi

Last edited:
Uconn also flipped a FR forward who was headed to 2022 National Champ Denver. He was a 3rd round pick of the Jersey Devils last year.

Last edited:
Ranked #9 NHL draft prospect for 2023, MATTHEW WOOD, the 6-3/ 194lb, forward out of British Columbia, CAN, who comes to UCONN as a 17 year old FR.
Nice season opening win and Hockey East start for the Huskies with 16 new players. Lead by Wood who got his first goal and Uconn's of the 2022-23 season. Game #2 up in Burlington will be today at 4:00pm on ESPN+, who will be the TV home ( along with NESN) for Hockey East this season.

Last edited:
Also the new on campus arena is coming along nicely. Plan is to move the team into the facility in DEC, with the first game on Jan 14 vs. Northeastern, a week after both teams play in Fenway Park. ( the last XL Center game is planed for DEC 31st vs. LIU )

Last edited:
Flo Hockey discussed Wood as one of the the 3 best NHL prospects in NCAA:

Matthew Wood, C/W, UConn

The last time UConn had a high-profile draft-eligible player on their roster was Tage Thompson, who ended up going 26th overall to St. Louis in 2016. Just last season, Thompson had his NHL breakout with 38 goals and 68 points for the Buffalo Sabres, securing a long-term contract extension this summer. Matthew Wood may have a chance to go even higher in the draft than Thompson did and gives the Huskies another true blue-chipper.

Unlike Fantilli and Stramel, Wood is not a late 2004 birth date but rather a first-year eligible who was born in 2005. Wood should be a high school senior this year, but instead managed to finish early and has enrolled at UConn, set for his freshman campaign. Wood is a 6-foot-3, 190-pound forward who seems to always find himself in the right spots and has a goal-scorer’s instinct.

He led the entire BCHL in scoring last season with 85 points and a staggering 45 goals in 46 games. In the last 25 years, only one player had a better draft-minus-one season and that was Kent Johnson, who was drafted fifth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2021. Johnson scored at 1.94 points per game his last season in the BCHL, while Wood scored at a 1.85 clip. Wood also had the higher goal total in fewer games and is bigger and stronger. Notably, Johnson was a late birthdate, so was a bit older than Wood was in his draft-minus-one season.

Wood also made Team Canada as an underager at last year’s U18 World Championship, scoring two goals in the tournament. This summer, he played for Canada at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, posting five points in five games as Canada won the tournament.

A native of Nanaimo, B.C., Wood is a long way from home playing at UConn and he actually turned down the opportunity to play in the WHL alongside Connor Bedard with the Regina Pats. The fact that Wood has decided to challenge himself by attending college a year early and not simply going to one of the blueblood programs that has dozens of NHL alumni is going to speak to NHL teams. This is a player with the confidence to bet on himself and the skill to give himself a chance to go very high in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Weekend double header ( tomorrow at 4 pm) on ESPN+ at the XL Center vs. the 2014 NCAA champ Union (Schenectady, NY )

Uconn sweeps the week-end with the winner by Chase Bradley( Red Wings NHL pick) !

Andrew Lucas ( Vermont transfer) who played prep for Loomis Chaffee in Windsor, sends BU and their fans home with the loss in OT !

Last edited:
Things are getting serious with UConn hockey. 6-0-1 starts are uncharted territory in this program's history. It's gotten to the point that I even checked where the Frozen 4 is being played in 2023 because if UConn makes it I wanna go. FYI it's being played in Tampa, a city I know fairly well. It's also the city where the UConn men won their first basketball championship in 1999 (actually St. Petersburgh which is just south of Tampa and you can see that Tropicana Dome from I-75). I am guessing the Frozen 4 will be played where the TB Lightning play which I think is in downtown Tampa.

Reactions: the Blades
Things are getting serious with UConn hockey. 6-0-1 starts are uncharted territory in this program's history. It's gotten to the point that I even checked where the Frozen 4 is being played in 2023 because if UConn makes it I wanna go. FYI it's being played in Tampa, a city I know fairly well. It's also the city where the UConn men won their first basketball championship in 1999 (actually St. Petersburgh which is just south of Tampa and you can see that Tropicana Dome from I-75). I am guessing the Frozen 4 will be played where the TB Lightning play which I think is in downtown Tampa.
It's still early and I can't get crazy about this stuff, yet, but that thought seems to have me thinking about another Uconn team having a "Dream season". Kinda like when the hoops team playing in the BE opened a new building vs. St John's in January (1990).

In this case it would be a nice way to christen Uconn's new hockey arena this January, with a first time run into the NCAA's playing in Hockey East.

Also more talent is on the way via Finland. The NHL pick (NJ Devils) has been taking online classes while waiting to get cleared into the US. Guess he should have taken the southern border route like any "normal" immigrant would...SMH !......and he could be playing already .....:mad:

Uconn and Boston College get set for a doubleheader in CT this week................tonight the #10 ranked Huskies take on BC in Hockey East action (ESPN+) at the XL Center, then Saturday the former Big East member heads to the RENT for a 12 noon ( TV- CBS Sports Net) football contest.

Link- UConn Football Game Notes for Boston College

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the 2023 Hockey East Tournament is being played? I went on their website and couldn't get any info. The 2022 tournament was played in TD Garden in Boston, but it was the first time they had played there in a while. Will it be there this year or maybe in Hartford?

Does anyone know where the 2023 Hockey East Tournament is being played? I went on their website and couldn't get any info. The 2022 tournament was played in TD Garden in Boston, but it was the first time they had played there in a while. Will it be there this year or maybe in Hartford?
Nope...It's always been at the Garden/Fleet etc. since 1991 ( except for 1 year -covid concerns ? )

It's impressive that there are many players contributing right now. We can probably say Ryan Tverberg is the main man player, but there have been different heroes every game.

I read that UConn won in a shootout, but the game ended in a 6-6 tie so the teams were "awarded" ties. What's the point of having a shootout if nobody wins the game? If I were the coaches I would huddle up and agree to end the game in a tie and waive the shootout. It's pointless.

What's the point of having a shootout if nobody wins the game?.
First and foremost, yesterday was probably the best comeback for Uconn ever in HE, down 3-0..... come back to tie.... go down 4-3 and tie it again. Then having to play (#4 ranked going the week-end) PC shorthanded for 5 minutes strait on some BS refereeing and PC getting 2 more gift goals to go up 6-4. Which made Uconn's 2 goals to come back in the last few minutes ( one with 5 secs left )and "win" the shoot out that more enjoyable.

Now regarding your question, it's wrong..... Uconn gains plenty on the shoot out. They end up with 4 points in the HE standing, to only 2 PC had this week-end since Uconn beat them both FRI and SAT in shoot outs.

All conference games are worth three points. The points are awarded as follows:
3 for a regulation win
2 for an overtime win or shootout "win"
1 for an overtime or shootout "loss"
0 for a regulation loss
Further explanation at the bottom in the standings link:

Last edited:
Blades,

I appreciate the point about the Hockey East standing points. However, in the immortal words of Herm Edwards, you play the game- any game, in any sport- to win the game. If you have a shootout and a winner of the game is determined, the team winning the shootout should get the win. You play to win the game- not to tie the game, which is what's in UConn season record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT