OT- Uconn Baseball NCAA's

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Friday, May 31 Game 1 ------ 1:00 PM, ET ..... Nebraska vs. UConn ...| ESPN3 |

Last edited:
D7lk7r4XkAEE7OM.jpg

NEB 8 vs. Uconn 5 - Box Score

Uconn strikes out 16 Nebraska batters and get 19 hits in a 9 inning game but loses. Huskies will be the road team and play Harvard in an elimination game at 2 p.m. ET. on ESPN3

Last edited:
Huskies pay back Nebraska !.... and knock them out of the tourney with a 16-1 win on 22 hits. Also got a pitching staff saving 8 innings from starter Coby Dunlop........ Now comes the tough part. No idea on the starter, guess they'll have to piece it together with the quick turnaround vs. region host OK St...... Huskies need a win to extend the final to a Monday game.

Uconn 16, Nebraska 1 - box score

Last edited:
UConn won 5-2 and got an electric closeout from Jacob Wallace who struck out the last 7 Oklahoma State batters- the only 7 batters he faced. Winner take all game against OSU tomorrow for regional championship

Last edited:
Uconn vs OK St. .......Tonight (MON) --- primetime: on ESPNU

Last edited:
Tough to play 5 games in 4 days without any starting pitching depth...

Tough to play 5 games in 4 days without any starting pitching depth...
They didn't lose this game because of pitching depth. They only gave up 3 runs. They lost because they didn't hit this game. Can't expect to win many games at this stage only scoring 1 run.

I saw the game and OSU had big, strong pitchers who were throwing nasty sliders. That is why UConn lost. However, Jacob Wallace was great. In 2 games vs. OSU, he threw 5 no hit innings, striking out 12 of 15 hitters he faced. His strikeout pitch seems to be a very hard curveball, which he was throwing up in the zone but nobody could hit it.

I was reading today that Anthony Kay, now with the Mets AA farm team, is dominating and he may get the call from the Mets this year. Their bullpen is a disaster, and they need help.

Uconn basicall
They didn't lose this game because of pitching depth. They only gave up 3 runs. They lost because they didn't hit this game. Can't expect to win many games at this stage only scoring 1 run.
As I said they lost because of lack of STARTING pitching depth.... that was the point. OK St. didn't hit either but the difference was they didn't have to bring in their relievers in the 3rd inning.... 2 days in a row like Uconn did. I've watched and been at Uconn baseball games all year, Wurster, Dandeneau and Wallace are lights out, but you got to get them at least to the 5th or so to close it out. That was the only difference in this game, a worn out Uconn bullpen who had to get to many outs and gave up those late hits because Penders had no choice but to overextend them.. OSU starters got the game to the 7th in back to back nights. If Uconn had a mid week starter that could have extended the game ( they really only had 2 week-end guys Feole & Kersten ) ....they might still be playing or I doubt OK St. would have scored a run on them.

But finding even a 3rd starter that could get the game to those 3 has been a problem for Penders all year. Dunlop had the game of his life in the early one on Sat, in a no pressure outing which saved Uconn's bullpen. Or they might've been to taxed to win the first game vs. OK St......and I still don't know why he wasted Haus on Sat with a 16-1 lead when he was gonna start him again the next night...but that's tourney style baseball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT