ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HELP!!!!!!!

miket007

Aug 9, 2007
I live in new haven, my son will be a junior in high school at 6'0 260 playing dt. I need to find someone to videotape his games so I can edit & put online & also send to rivals, i would like to make at least 2-3 highlight films with sending in the 1st before mid season as i'm trying to get him on the recruiting radar which as we all know is very hard to do up here in CT. He was able to attend the uconn,unh,rhode island,bc & vto camp in north nj this year. I have a mini camcorder from 1993 that wouldn't pput out a quality picture i'm sure......any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

This post was edited on 8/25 9:58 PM by miket007

happy for you and your son bro... My suggestion to you, at this point is to go and buy a hd camcorder ( check ebay - a refurb will do the job if you're strapped for cash) and then camp out at around midfield at the highest point of the bleachers and do it yourself... Don't try and tape the entire game all at once. Stop between plays then start up recording again. You'll have a bunch of vid files that you will need to download to your computer... You'll have to buy a program for your computer (i.e. NERO) and put the vids together to create a nice DVD for college coaches to review... Back in the early 2000's I did something like that (but with a Sony camcorder with the mini dv tapes).. didn't use a computer back then so I used VHS vid recorder .. took a looong time but it worked...kid got into Sacred Heart..

Originally posted by ktuck911:

happy for you and your son bro... My suggestion to you, at this point is to go and buy a hd camcorder ( check ebay - a refurb will do the job if you're strapped for cash) and then camp out at around midfield at the highest point of the bleachers and do it yourself... Don't try and tape the entire game all at once. Stop between plays then start up recording again. You'll have a bunch of vid files that you will need to download to your computer... You'll have to buy a program for your computer (i.e. NERO) and put the vids together to create a nice DVD for college coaches to review... Back in the early 2000's I did something like that (but with a Sony camcorder with the mini dv tapes).. didn't use a computer back then so I used VHS vid recorder .. took a looong time but it worked...kid got into Sacred Heart..
Thank you much sir!

I don't know too many high school football programs that don't film their own games. And they usually have quality cameras and the best seat in the house. I would start by talking to your son's coaching staff about getting access to their films. Depending on the file format, creating a highlight film is not that difficult. It's much easier if the film is cut after every play and not in one continuous stream, but you can work with either.

Now, if your school is using HUDL ( which has become the go to film management program for high schools and colleges) then it will be much easier. My high school uses HUDL and we give every player access to all game film (ours and our opponent's). We actually film from the sideline and the endzone and merge the two views so you have both angles for every play. Putting together a highlight film is not only easy, but free. Sending it to a college coach is like sending an email.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. My older son is a DT at Penn State and my younger son is a senior in high school this season and has an offer from UConn that he is seriously considering. I've also been a high school coach for 28 years. I will share any insight I have into the recruiting process. Good luck with your son this season.

Originally posted by JudgeDD:
I don't know too many high school football programs that don't film their own games. And they usually have quality cameras and the best seat in the house. I would start by talking to your son's coaching staff about getting access to their films. Depending on the file format, creating a highlight film is not that difficult. It's much easier if the film is cut after every play and not in one continuous stream, but you can work with either.

Now, if your school is using HUDL ( which has become the go to film management program for high schools and colleges) then it will be much easier. My high school uses HUDL and we give every player access to all game film (ours and our opponent's). We actually film from the sideline and the endzone and merge the two views so you have both angles for every play. Putting together a highlight film is not only easy, but free. Sending it to a college coach is like sending an email.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. My older son is a DT at Penn State and my younger son is a senior in high school this season and has an offer from UConn that he is seriously considering. I've also been a high school coach for 28 years. I will share any insight I have into the recruiting process. Good luck with your son this season.
Thanks for the reply sir! Sorry it took so long for me to get back as i was away on vacation with the family. His coaching staff does tape the games but those tapes won't be available for parents until after the season i'm told. Now if we get to the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT